The Student Room Group

A question for the Flat-Earther’s

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IDOZ
Hello
Elon Musk asked this question after the launch of the Falcon Heavy:
If there is a Flat Earth society, then why is there not a Flat Mars society?
The FEs replied “Because Mars has been proven to be round”

Then why would Earth be flat if Mars and all the other planets in the Solar System be round?

The Flat-Earth Society has members all over the globe, please don't say anything to antagonise them.

this has Foucault to do with the earth's rotation :flute:
Original post by Drummond
So you're not going to answer my question?

I’m gonna assume you’ll question the possibility of the Earth’s spin on its axis because you can’t feel it, and the Earths rotation around the sun because reasons.
The Earth’s rotation around the sun can easily be explained by what we observe in the night sky, changes in Star patterns throughout the year suggests that the Earth is moving relative to them ( it seems utterly arrogant to think the universe literally revolves around us) I’m pretty sure you could use the Red shift to further explain it (I’m not sure that effect would exist with everything revolves around Earth)
Original post by CountBrandenburg
I’m gonna assume you’ll question the possibility of the Earth’s spin on its axis because you can’t feel it, and the Earths rotation around the sun because reasons.
The Earth’s rotation around the sun can easily be explained by what we observe in the night sky, changes in Star patterns throughout the year suggests that the Earth is moving relative to them ( it seems utterly arrogant to think the universe literally revolves around us) I’m pretty sure you could use the Red shift to further explain it (I’m not sure that effect would exist with everything revolves around Earth)

I was more asking as to whether your beliefs come from others or are they your own? If you were born on a desert island with no other civilization, would you still have come to believe that you lived on the side of a spinning ball?
Original post by IDOZ
Hello
Elon Musk asked this question after the launch of the Falcon Heavy:
If there is a Flat Earth society, then why is there not a Flat Mars society?
The FEs replied “Because Mars has been proven to be round”

Then why would Earth be flat if Mars and all the other planets in the Solar System be round?

Hi, I've moved the thread to the Society section :smile:
Original post by Drewski
I say it about this particular poster.

They have no interest in debating or learning. They spout their nonsense for hours on end.

They're nothing but a waste of time.

You criticise me for my beliefs when you do not understand your own beliefs. How is that right?
You criticise me for my beliefs

Yep.

But mostly I criticise you for the utterly shocking and pathetic attempts to "debate".

And as long as you remain tone deaf to any form of dissenting opinion, I'll remain tone deaf to any argument you present, as you're wholey without merit.
Original post by QE2
There are no genuine Flat Earthers. People just pretend to be one in order to seem edgy or wacky or as a wind-up.

I ACtually think most celebrity flat earthers are in it for publicity and give zero hoots about the theory
Reply 28
How do you know that what you stand on is spinning?

The earth has such a large mass and volume and you are very small

Also the day and night cycle proves we are spinning
Reply 29
I was more asking as to whether your beliefs come from others or are they your own? If you were born on a desert island with no other civilization, would you still have come to believe that you lived on the side of a spinning ball?

This is why education is so important. If there was no science/education then we'd all be limited by what we can see from our eyes. So we would have no idea about the scale of the universe, we'd still think the human heart controlled emotions, we would still think the Earth was flat and not realise that humans are descended from apes.

Thank God for science.
Original post by Notnek
This is why education is so important. If there was no science/education then we'd all be limited by what we can see from our eyes. So we would have no idea about the scale of the universe, we'd still think the human heart controlled emotions, we would still think the Earth was flat and not realise that humans are descended from apes.

Thank God for science.

There is no proof humans descended from apes Notnek. There have never been any intermediary skulls or skeletons found, apart from proven hoaxes (piltdown man etc) which show any evolution of ape to man. Whereas their should be billions if evolution were true.

This is why there is something called 'missing links' in evolution. Meaning the evidence is not there. But why would a scientist need evidence when he has theory instead right? Remember that people who study science on here now say, science theory is fact. Well that's new to me and does not fit in my reality.

If you look a thing staunch atheists like Richard Dorkins, when he speaks about God his whole persona changes and he gets really angry and spiteful towards God and you want to remind him, that he is not supposed to be believing in God. Dorkins gives himself away.

I am confident and sure in my beliefs and I understand them without any doubt or question. You can not say that with your beliefs, because your beliefs are incomplete are can not be proved, which science itself admits.
Reply 31
I think we need a TSR Kickstarter to put Drummond on the first Virgin Galactic trip.

And then we can watch his head explode with the new knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
I think we need a TSR Kickstarter to put Drummond on the first Virgin Galactic trip.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put me down for a grand...

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no proof humans descended from apes Notnek. There have never been any intermediary skulls or skeletons found, apart from proven hoaxes (piltdown man etc) which show any evolution of ape to man. Whereas their should be billions if evolution were true.

This is why there is something called 'missing links' in evolution. Meaning the evidence is not there. But why would a scientist need evidence when he has theory instead right? Remember that people who study science on here now say, science theory is fact. Well that's new to me and does not fit in my reality.

If you look a thing staunch atheists like Richard Dorkins, when he speaks about God his whole persona changes and he gets really angry and spiteful towards God and you want to remind him, that he is not supposed to be believing in God. Dorkins gives himself away.

I am confident and sure in my beliefs and I understand them without any doubt or question. You can not say that with your beliefs, because your beliefs are incomplete are can not be proved, which science itself admits.

Clearly a troll
Let me ask you a question in turn:
Why does Earth support human life when the other planets don't?
Because Earth is special. So Earth can also be special in the way that it's flat.
Case closed

Spoiler

Reply 35
Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur
Why does Earth support human life when the other planets don't?

Except we don't know what (or who...) is on the roughly 40 billion earthlike extrasolar planets in the Milky Way. Nevermind all the billions of other galaxies.

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-topics/exoplanets/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/cosmic-census-finds-billions-of-planets-that-could-be-like-earth.html

Have a read of "The Copernicus Complex: The Quest for Our Cosmic (In)Significance" - it's a nice read.
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

Branson should be concentrating on his trains before makebelieve. The mans head is in fantasy land and because of this his businesses are in nosedive.
Reply 37
Branson should be concentrating on his trains before makebelieve.

The quality of instantaneous/live CGI is certainly improving isn't it. Musk's Falcon launches look very realistic, even for the spectators physically watching from a few miles away.
Original post by IDOZ
The earth has such a large mass and volume and you are very small

Also the day and night cycle proves we are spinning

The day and night cycle does not prove rotation mate. This is shown in the geocentric model.

Forget about a ball earth and think of yourself looking up in to the sky from a flat stationary plane and with the heavens, the sun, moon and stars moving all around.

You see? It's the same, but this time you are stationary, because you are stationary and it's flat, because it I see flat. :smile:
Original post by Drewski
Yep.

But mostly I criticise you for the utterly shocking and pathetic attempts to "debate".

And as long as you remain tone deaf to any form of dissenting opinion, I'll remain tone deaf to any argument you present, as you're wholey without merit.

Calm down and stop getting angry. Anger gives birth to anger and we don't want an angry thread do we? That's not the way to debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending