The Student Room Group

Oxford Feedback

I only recently requested feedback from Oxford Uni on my unsuccessful application (post-interview). They say that it can take up to 20 working days to hear back but I was wondering if anyone who'd already received feedback could tell me how specific the feedback is and what it details?

1) Does it break down interview scores or is it an overall average?
2) Is feedback in a strict numerical form or do they leave general comments from the tutors -- if so, is this broken down into the different colleges you were interviewed at?
3) Do they comment on your written work? -- one interviewer let it slip that the faculty found something of mine 'interesting' and I'd love to know details.

General stuff would be so helpful idc if you applied for Maths at St Anne's or Classics and Oriental Studies at Worcester. I'm keen for any info :cute:

(That said, if anyone has anything about either Music feedback or feedback structures from Magdalen I'd be over the moon :biggrin:)
(edited 6 years ago)
bump
Tbh the feedback is usually quite general ("we had a lot of strong applicants and there are only so many places" yada yada), so is not always that helpful.

I know one candidate who applied to music at Magdalen who received very detailed feedback (this is from a tutor who's no longer there, though). Their feedback read something like a bit of a character assassination tbh, so I'm not sure it was the most constructive thing to receive :s-smilie:

But yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. If you receive any scores or personalised feedback, count it as a bonus :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Tbh the feedback is usually quite general ("we had a lot of strong applicants and there are only so many places" yada yada), so is not always that helpful.

I know one candidate who applied to music at Magdalen who received very detailed feedback (this is from a tutor who's no longer there, though). Their feedback read something like a bit of a character assassination tbh, so I'm not sure it was the most constructive thing to receive :s-smilie:

But yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. If you receive any scores or personalised feedback, count it as a bonus :smile:

My referee said pretty much the same thing.
I'm kinda hanging onto the fact they'll be something I can take away from it good or bad.
Original post by thewrongofsummer
My referee said pretty much the same thing.
I'm kinda hanging onto the fact they'll be something I can take away from it good or bad.

I do hope you get something useful from it :smile: Are you hoping to reapply or is it just out of curiosity? Either way, don't get your hopes up too much, feedback-wise :nah:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I do hope you get something useful from it :smile: Are you hoping to reapply or is it just out of curiosity? Either way, don't get your hopes up too much, feedback-wise :nah:

I don't think I should reapply -- maybe for postgrad if all goes well, but useful feedback would be a nice conclusion to my undergrad endevor :chaplin: haha

Thanks for all your help though :biggrin:
I don't think I should reapply -- maybe for postgrad if all goes well, but useful feedback would be a nice conclusion to my undergrad endevor :chaplin: haha

Thanks for all your help though :biggrin:

Yeah I really think they ought to give more feedback, and have the feedback standards consistent across the different colleges and departments :yep:

That's the spirit - there are better departments out there than Oxford's and you'll have a great time elsewhere :biggrin:
Someone on my bus recieved feedback, which they were willingly sharing with the entire sixthform population secluded away at the back (5 members); weird we were on a trip. The individual stated, as evident from the letter, that considering he only achieved "7 A*s", as opposed to the competitive nature of other applicants with 10; he was not "competitive enough". In addition, the letter rambled on, however the main focus was "GCSE grades".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Science99999
Someone on my bus recieved feedback, which they were willingly sharing with the entire sixthform population secluded away at the back (5 members). The individual stated, as evident from the letter, that considering he only achieved "7 A*s", as opposed to the competitive nature of other applicants with 10; he was not "competitive enough". In addition, the letter rambled on, however the main focus was "GCSE grades".

Ah, I should have mentioned -- I'm Scottish so GCSEs don't really apply to me. Thanks for the info tho :biggrin:

Off topic but, I thought the only course where GCSEs matter was medicine, is that what they applied for or is that normal for most subjects?
(edited 6 years ago)
Ah, I should have mentioned -- I'm Scottish so GCSEs don't really apply to me.
All the same though, I thought the only course where GCSEs matter where medicine, is that what they applied for?

They applied for something like zoology xD.

Thankfully, I have 3 9s and 7 A*s, and applying for medicine at Oxford.
Original post by Science99999
They applied for something like zoology xD.

Thankfully, I have 3 9s and 7 A*s, and applying for medicine at Oxford.

Good luck!
@Science99999 you haven't heard from anyone else at your school have you?
(edited 6 years ago)
bump
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending