The Student Room Group

GCSE RS or History?

I am currently in the process of deciding my GCSE choices. In the future, I would like to study medicine at university( I am not sure if this should affect my choices and how). My school has made it compulsory to do the 6 core subjects. So I think my choices are:
- Spanish
- Geography
- DT RM
- Computing
- RS or History
I am mainly struggling to choose between RS and History. Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each subject that I am thinking of taking? It would be really helpful.
Lastly, should I take Latin if I want to study medicine. Some people say that I should however, I am not particularly good at it. Thank you!
Original post by astrid2018
I am currently in the process of deciding my GCSE choices. In the future, I would like to study medicine at university( I am not sure if this should affect my choices and how). My school has made it compulsory to do the 6 core subjects. So I think my choices are:
- Spanish
- Geography
- DT RM
- Computing
- RS or History
I am mainly struggling to choose between RS and History. Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each subject that I am thinking of taking? It would be really helpful.
Lastly, should I take Latin if I want to study medicine. Some people say that I should however, I am not particularly good at it. Thank you!

Where is your science? You need Chemistry and Biology? Other than that, then grades are what count
And dont do latin if you're bad at it
History is useful and I personally prefer it to RS but with medicine it really does not matter. As long as you take the subjects you’re best at and get good grades it wouldn’t matter which you chose. Same with Latin. If you’re bad at it don’t do it because you want the As.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Where is your science? You need Chemistry and Biology? Other than that, then grades are what count

My school has made it compulsory to do Biology,Chemistry, Physics,Maths, English Literature and English Language.
Reply 5
Original post by astrid2018
- Spanish
- Geography
- DT RM
- Computing
- RS or History

If you're not good at it, do not do Latin - you have to learn entire texts of it and analyse the language used.
Is your RS just religious studies or do you have the thematic studies part as well where you learn about crime & punishment,etc?
I don't do History but personally I really enjoy RS (its the AQA exam board that I do) because a lot of it is common sense and due to the time restrictions answers don't have to be too long - even the essays that are 12 marks only need to be around 300 words.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest