The Student Room Group

What can I be doing now to strengthen my chances of getting a cambridge interview?

Hi, I would really like to apply for Cambridge, and I'm currently in year 12. I was wondering what type of supercurricular activities I could be doing to strengthen my chances of getting in, as my understanding is that most people applying will have top grades, so this won't really make me stand out from the crowd. I'm interested in applying for medicine. Many thanks.
So do the usual work experience etc, the main thing really is doing well on your BMAT and then coming across well in your interview (most people with good enough predictions get interviews for cambridge medicine so you don't need to worry about not getting to the interview stage too much). For now, focus on getting your predictions of at least A*A*A. You could do some further reading, find something you're interested in to put in your personal statement, some sort of mediciney/sciency book is always good. Keep up with extracurriculars and volunteering etc for general personal statement stuff but I suppose you're already doing that and uhm yeah that's all I can think of right now...
Original post by hello2906
So do the usual work experience etc, the main thing really is doing well on your BMAT and then coming across well in your interview (most people with good enough predictions get interviews for cambridge medicine so you don't need to worry about not getting to the interview stage too much). For now, focus on getting your predictions of at least A*A*A. You could do some further reading, find something you're interested in to put in your personal statement, some sort of mediciney/sciency book is always good. Keep up with extracurriculars and volunteering etc for general personal statement stuff but I suppose you're already doing that and uhm yeah that's all I can think of right now...

Thanks! Really helpful advice.

Quick Reply