The Student Room Group

Oxford colleges with churches nearby

Hi all,
I was just wondering, does anyone know which colleges have any active (services like mass) churches nearby within walking distance? I know most colleges have a chapel, but do any have an actual church nearby? If anyone is interested, I go to Roman Catholic Churches.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Uranium Potato
Hi all,
I was just wondering, does anyone know which colleges have any active (services like mass) churches nearby within walking distance? I know most colleges have a chapel, but do any have an actual church nearby?

There are a lot of churches in Oxford. My college isn't even in central Oxford and there are at least two that I know of within a couple minutes' walk. I'm not Christian so I'm not sure if there's a specific type of church you're looking for, but given how many there are and how close the different colleges are to one another, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. Maybe do a google search for churches in Oxford?
Original post by Plagioclase
There are a lot of churches in Oxford. My college isn't even in central Oxford and there are at least two that I know of within a couple minutes' walk. I'm not Christian so I'm not sure if there's a specific type of church you're looking for, but given how many there are and how close the different colleges are to one another, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. Maybe do a google search for churches in Oxford?

Thank you very much, if you don't mind me asking, what college do you go to and for what subject?
Thank you very much, if you don't mind me asking, what college do you go to and for what subject?

St Anne's, Geology.
I was just wondering, does anyone know which colleges have any active (services like mass) churches nearby within walking distance? I know most colleges have a chapel, but do any have an actual church nearby? If anyone is interested, I go to Roman Catholic Churches.

Yes, just outside the centre there are unfortunately a few.

Most students have a bike, so distance isn't an issue, but they're not far to walk either.
Original post by RogerOxon
Yes, just outside the centre there are unfortunately a few.

Most students have a bike, so distance isn't an issue, but they're not far to walk either.

what do you mean unfortunately, is there not many then?
@Uranium Potato This page might be useful? Bear in mind that not all of the churches here are central Oxford.
what do you mean unfortunately, is there not many then?

Sadly, there are between fifteen and twenty Roman Catholic places of worship within the by-passes of Oxford. Superstitious belief is rife!
Original post by Plagioclase
@Uranium Potato This page might be useful? Bear in mind that not all of the churches here are central Oxford.

Thanks!
Original post by Good bloke
Sadly, there are between fifteen and twenty Roman Catholic places of worship within the by-passes of Oxford. Superstitious belief is rife!

Original post by RogerOxon
I'm an Atheist. I find it distressing that, otherwise intelligent, people belive these fairytales. Beyond that, the Catholic chuch is a corrupt organisaiton that should be closed-down. Your time and money, your call though.

Like Roger said, everyone is free to do as they wish. Let's not make this into a debating thread. God bless y'all.
Reply 10
I'm not Christian myself, so I'm not particularly familiar with the churches in the area, but my limited research would suggest that the undergrad colleges closest to Catholic churches are:
Somerville
St John's
St Hilda's
Christ Church
Pembroke

A couple of the Permanent Private Halls are affiliated with Catholicism, so if you want to study in a Christian environment, then it might be worth seeing if any of them offer the subject you're looking to study. Also, bear in mind that most of the churches in the city are within easy walking distance of most of the colleges.
Original post by Beth_H
I'm not Christian myself, so I'm not particularly familiar with the churches in the area, but my limited research would suggest that the undergrad colleges closest to Catholic churches are:
Somerville
St John's
St Hilda's
Christ Church
Pembroke

A couple of the Permanent Private Halls are affiliated with Catholicism, so if you want to study in a Christian environment, then it might be worth seeing if any of them offer the subject you're looking to study. Also, bear in mind that most of the churches in the city are within easy walking distance of most of the colleges.

Thank you very much:-)
The RC Chaplaincy is closest to Pembroke and Christ Church. There's also the Oratory which has Tridentine Masses, which is closer to Somerville and St John's. As mentioned, there are some PPH's that are RC too though for some of them at least (e.g. Campion Hall) you have to be a priest or training to become a priest :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending