The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are you choosing/did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AryanGh
Compulsory: Maths, English Literature and Language, Triple Science, Religious Studies
Options: Computing, French, Geography
Extras: Native Language(s) GCSE

Oh cool!!
Original post by chloe.tasker
I started mine in year 9 and I'm now in year 10. I chose
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Double science
Music
Food Preparation and Nutrition (basically food tech)
History
Spanish
Pe
I've been thinking of doing Maths,Physics and either Psychology or Further Maths at A Level and Actuarial Sciences or Maths with a specialty in Actuarial Sciences at either University of Liverpool or University of Manchester to become an Actuary

Those look really good! People have told me before that if you want to do Maths at university you willl probably need FM say A-Level:smile:
Original post by ellielivingstone
Hi,

I am in year 11 now and doing;
English Lit/Lang
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
and then I chose to do;
History
GCSE PE
French
Spanish
A word of advice for anyone thinking of taking two languages:
It is really hard and you will have to put the work in. I'm quite good at languages and it is still a challenge. Also, you may find that the language you pick up for GCSE is actually easier. I had done two years of french before taking my GCSE's and I find spanish so much easier now. Don't let it dishearten you and keep sticking at it! Languages are so important and help you to understand the english language a lot easier. :smile:

Of course I understand that 2 languages is a lot of work, but I definitely love them enough to put the work in!! I would much rather do loads of work for 2 languages than less work for 1 and another subject:smile: thank you!! Those options look really good, btw:smile:
Original post by tooschool4cool
Just out of interest, I'd like to know what you are taking at GCSE and the types of careers/degrees you might be interested in. If you've already completed your GCSEs, if you could give the grades you got and what you are doing now that would be great too!!

I'm choosing this year, and I'm going to pick -

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

With RS and German as my reserves! I'm interested in Maths, Languages and Linguistics at university (and possibly even Law). I don't really have a particular career in mind, but hopefully something that allows me to use my languages, because I love them! (The FCO, maybe)

What about you?

*Edit*
User Bill Nye made a thread very similar to this 10 days ago (though I wasn't aware of it at the time of making this thread), so if you like this thread you should definitely check their's out too! (It's called 'What options did you pick?':wink:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5189340

I’m in Year 11 now, I sit my GCSE’s this year and I took:
Maths
English Language and Literature
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
RS
Geography
History
Art
Food technology
Original post by Meganb02
I’m in Year 11 now, I sit my GCSE’s this year and I took:
Maths
English Language and Literature
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
RS
Geography
History
Art
Food technology

Nice!
How do people do this? I wI'll never know...
But there is one explanation... They are SUPERMAN
😂😂😂😋😋
Oooohhhh thats why my school changed the IT GCSE to a BTEC

Yeah it's a right pain, the government concluded that ICT wasn't worth being reformed at any level so now the only existing qualifications are BTECs and Extended Certificate/Diplomas. It's a shame because A Level ICT was on my watchlist, but I couldn't take it and I really wanted to learn from the course, but it won't count towards a Uni application.
Of course I understand that 2 languages is a lot of work, but I definitely love them enough to put the work in!! I would much rather do loads of work for 2 languages than less work for 1 and another subject:smile: thank you!! Those options look really good, btw:smile:

Thanks! They're really fun and I do really enjoy doing two languages!:smile:
I'm in year 10 so I've been doing these for a year and a half now

Maths A Level (AQA) - Did edexcel GCSE last year
English lit (AQA)
English Language (aqa)
Combined science (aqa) - had option for triple but didn't take it
RS (Edexcel B)
Computer Science (OCR)
History (Edexcel)
Performing Arts (Pearson Technical L2)
Design Technology (AQA)
Psychology (OCR)

All GCSEs are obviously 9-1 with the technical award being a BTEC

I don't know what I want to do with life but do want to study further maths in college along with other undecided A - Levels - then study pure maths in Uni - perhaps become a teacher or an accountant or something maths related
I chose history, Spanish, computer science and photography. I massively regret history because I dislike the options we are studying and dislike my teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest