The Student Room Group

NHS Banding

Hey, I was just wondering, how does banding work once someone is a junior doctor and then goes onto begin his Speciality Training? Do you get to choose your banding/ the hours and times you want to work, or do they get randomly given to you? Any help would be appreciated. Also past FY1 and FY2, how competitive is it to get into ST1 for various specialities? I heard that neurosurgery is a straight run through and that once you're in, you're in. What things can I do to enhance my application?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's interesting, why did they get rid of banding? I understand that bands 2 and 3 are no longer legal, but surely a, b and c exist? And how so are they pre-determined? Also, thanks for the link, I will have a look.
Reply 2
I just had a look and for some specialities it seems like the applicants to offers ratio is 1:5, I was just wondering, what happens if you're continually rejected and how would I maximise my chance of getting the place i want. I assume it's good to start early, or will things only matter once I get to FY1?
Original post by Haler22
Do you get to choose your banding/ the hours and times you want to work

:laugh: haha good god no. You work where and when they tell you.

You do have an element of choice in that you will apply to a list of 'deaneries' i.e. locations (e.g. South London, Scotland etc). Most people get into one of their top 5 choices but not everyone. After that, you will be asked to choose from a more specific list of jobs, most commonly a stretch of 6 jobs lasting 2 years. Almost all choices will have 1 or 2 jobs you hate and will get no use from, but you have to do it anyway. Then once that is sorted, you will be given a rota and that is what you work, no further choice. You do get to choose when to take annual leave as that's a legal requirement. However, on many rotas the times you are allowed to take annual leave is very restricted.

The bigger choice comes when it comes to speciality training. You can choose specialities known to run their trainees into the ground e.g. many medical specialities, or you can choose something with better work life balance, like psychiatry or dermatology!

There is a bit of flexibility in the system, in that things like maternity leave will be accommodation (again, a legal requirement!) and under some circumstances you can go part time, but other than that the NHS is a very inflexible employer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
:laugh: haha good god no. You work where and when they tell you.

You do have an element of choice in that you will apply to a list of 'deaneries' i.e. locations (e.g. South London, Scotland etc). Most people get into one of their top 5 choices but not everyone. After that, you will be asked to choose from a more specific list of jobs, most commonly a stretch of 6 jobs lasting 2 years. Almost all choices will have 1 or 2 jobs you hate and will get no use from, but you have to do it anyway. Then once that is sorted, you will be given a rota and that is what you work, no further choice. You do get to choose when to take annual leave as that's a legal requirement. However, on many rotas the times you are allowed to take annual leave is very restricted.

The bigger choice comes when it comes to speciality training. You can choose specialities known to run their trainees into the ground e.g. many medical specialities, or you can choose something with better work life balance, like psychiatry or dermatology!

There is a bit of flexibility in the system, in that things like maternity leave will be accommodation (again, a legal requirement!) and under some circumstances you can go part time, but other than that the NHS is a very inflexible employer.

Are there any experiences you'd mind sharing? Like what specialities did you enjoy? Furthermore, do we all have to work on call then and isn't this system unfair as people will earn varying amounts through no choice of their own? Also without banding, is there no scope above the basic salary?
Original post by Haler22
Are there any experiences you'd mind sharing? Like what specialities did you enjoy?

That's going to vary individual to individual. However, some specialities are well known for being lower intensity, less hours and less out of hours work than others. You will experience this through med schools and FY years.

Furthermore, do we all have to work on call then and isn't this system unfair as people will earn varying amounts through no choice of their own?

You'd rather people were paid the same even though some do more hours than others?

You are paid for what you do, broadly. That seems fair to me.

Also without banding, is there no scope above the basic salary?

There is no banding but you get paid more for doing more hours and more antisocial hours.

It is detailed here if you really want to know.

https://www.bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pdfs/working%20for%20change/contract%20negotiations%202015/2016/junior-doctors-contract-tables-of-pay-june-2016.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
That's going to vary individual to individual. However, some specialities are well known for being lower intensity, less hours and less out of hours work than others. You will experience this through med schools and FY years.

You'd rather people were paid the same even though some do more hours than others?

You are paid for what you do, broadly. That seems fair to me.

There is no banding but you get paid more for doing more hours and more antisocial hours.

It is detailed here if you really want to know.

https://www.bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pdfs/working%20for%20change/contract%20negotiations%202015/2016/junior-doctors-contract-tables-of-pay-june-2016.pdf

Thanks for the link and for taking the time to respond. I'm not saying we should get the same for working different hours, but rather if we want to work more hours we should be allowed too. I get that legally we can't work more than 56 per week, but still, it's kinda unfair.
Reply 7
That clears things up, thanks. What things should I be doing apart from working on a Bsc for an extra year?
Reply 8
I feel like medicine is changing so much, I wonder what the scheme will be in the future when I graduate. I guess the new system is okay, but what happens if we only get 40 hours? Plus tax makes it super hard to live, don't you think? On the other hand, working 48 hours is substantially higher than what it used to be, which is crazy. Do you know if you can register to work weekends (1:4 ish), or is that luck based to? Is there any way to find out which specialities lend themselves to longer work, as I won't have had a chance to experience all of them. Finally how do we go about being a locum (I guess you earn more, but this doesn't sound very appealing as I'd like to be knowing exactly what I'll be doing and when i'll be doing it).
Reply 9
Sorry by higher I meant you earn more for 48 hours of week as a base salary. And that's good to hear, what's your opinion on locuming? And do you have examples of the pay, I assume there's a fixed number of placements you can accept. Will they be mostly during unsociable hours? Say I get 42 hours a week on average, does this mean I'm free to do as much extra locum work as I like? In that sense, is there no cap on the earnings of a junior doctor? Finally, I had a look at the CT1 scoring system and it seems fairly reasonable to get a score in the high 20s/low 30s if you try hard enough - is there any data on what a good score is/ will guarantee interview? Thanks
Reply 10
That's interesting and is there nothing we can do about the interview? Thanks so much for your time and help btw, it's much appreciated.
Reply 11
Thank you very much, I think everything has been clarified now :smile:
Reply 12
Oops one last question, do you have an example of a locum job you've received and is it related to your speciality? Furthermore, are you on-call and what's the process behind this?
Reply 13
What would the pay be like for the extra 5 hours? And what sort of jobs do doctors normally do on call? How do you prevent people from over-committing to work so that they don't do over 48 hours average per week?
Reply 14
So in that sense, we get autonomy to decide how many hours of locum we want to work? Also why would anyone report themselves? Does that mean you can esentially work as long as you want, if it isn't having a huge effect?
Reply 15
I completely get that, I wouldn't want to do something like that but i was just thinking hypothetically. Also you say the pay is too low. Isn't it above the basic rate, however, and so isn't it more lucrative? Could I, in essence, fill my timetable up so that I'm working exactly 48 hours a week everyweek? Or is it difficult?
Reply 16
Thanks very much :smile: PRSOM
As already explained, your rota is pre-determined with the basic hours being 40/week Mon-Fri 9-5. Hours beyond this earn you additional hourly rates, with the more antisocial hours being at enhanced rates.

You can locum to your hearts content, with rates generally ranging from £25-60/hr expending on your grade, the shift, the notice and how desperate the trust is.

You can opt out of the EWTD and have no restriction on your hours, but if you make a mistake, don’t be surprised if you overworking is used against you. The GMC expects you to take adequate breaks to ensure you are rested.

Also I don’t know how healthy it is to cram your life with locum work. I know a guy who would do 20 night shifts in a row and made obscene amounts of money. Unsurprisingly he collapsed on shift and had to be admitted.

It’s not that pay is bad anyway. I’m in core training, work 48hrs a week (average) and am on £48k.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Etomidate
As already explained, your rota is pre-determined with the basic hours being 40/week Mon-Fri 9-5. Hours beyond this earn you additional hourly rates, with the more antisocial hours being at enhanced rates.

You can locum to your hearts content, with rates generally ranging from £25-60/hr expending on your grade, the shift, the notice and how desperate the trust is.

You can opt out of the EWTD and have no restriction on your hours, but if you make a mistake, don’t be surprised if you overworking is used against you. The GMC expects you to take adequate breaks to ensure you are rested.

Also I don’t know how healthy it is to cram your life with locum work. I know a guy who would do 20 night shifts in a row and made obscene amounts of money. Unsurprisingly he collapsed on shift and had to be admitted.

It’s not that pay is bad anyway. I’m in core training, work 48hrs a week (average) and am on £48k.

Do you do much locum work? Also I'm just a little concerned after tax as the fee then becomes small. Do you know anyone who's opted out of the EWTD? You mention a guy who did 20 night shifts in a row, how much was he earning roughly and what trouble did he get in? I feel his example is a little excessive, but how did he end up with so much work, especially during the night? And also do you know when private work becomes available? I assume it's once you become a consultant? Is this easy to obtain?
Thanks a lot for your response, is your 48k/year as a CT1 or CT3+?
Original post by Haler22
Do you do much locum work? Also I'm just a little concerned after tax as the fee then becomes small. Do you know anyone who's opted out of the EWTD? You mention a guy who did 20 night shifts in a row, how much was he earning roughly and what trouble did he get in? I feel his example is a little excessive, but how did he end up with so much work, especially during the night? And also do you know when private work becomes available? I assume it's once you become a consultant? Is this easy to obtain?
Thanks a lot for your response, is your 48k/year as a CT1 or CT3+?

I don’t do locum work, purely because I feel like I already dedicate a lot of my time to this job, including portfolio and exam work in my spare time. And to me, £35/hr isn’t really worth the extra hassle and risk.

Also I live quite comfortably with my salary. When you look at it, it’s pretty decent and well above the national average. I can afford to live in a nice flat, run a sporty car, eat out frequently, have small holidays and still save money (I don’t have kids and I live outside of London).

The guy I mentioned didn’t get into trouble, but he ended up hospitalising himself. But I bet if he made a significant mistake during his ridiculous shifts, the hours he chose to work would be used against him.

I imagine he was earning about £55 an hour doing 8he shifts, so you do the maths. He could do this because there was nobody else to cover the shifts. It’s a buyers market.

Private work is limited to consultancy really. There are bits you can do as a junior but this is more or less limited to doing crem forms whenever they pop up. You get paid about £70 for about 15m work. But these are few and far between.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending