The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lana C
I am in deep **** here I been caught plagarising in my 1st year at uni I face a hearing tomorrow what could happen to me, I am so scared that I could be kicked out my parents will kill me as they are basically funding my university help!

What do you want us to do? You're ****ed. GG no Re
Reply 2
Original post by StayWoke
What do you want us to do? You're ****ed. GG no Re

is there any chance they will be lenient and give me a warning and make me resit the essay ??
Reply 3
Original post by Lana C
is there any chance they will be lenient and give me a warning and make me resit the essay ??

Most likely you'll get 0 for that section, with no ability to resit + an extra penalty on top.
Reply 4
Depends on the severity and the rules at your uni... I think most will make you resubmit the essay and put a cap on your mark.
Reply 5
When I was caught they told me they have a zero tolerance on it :frown:
Reply 6
Better start preparing to grovel as best as you can then...
What course you doing?
Reply 8
To what extent was your work plagiarised? And were you aware of this during the time?
someone i knew got done for plagrism idk specifics but turned out fine
Reply 10
It really depends on your uni's regulations regarding plagiarism. It doesn't bode well but hopefully you learned your lesson.
Original post by Dominoes
someone i knew got done for plagrism idk specifics but turned out fine

Scintillating insight.
Generally they are severe penalties for plagiarism in academia :frown: .Just try to be remorseful (hopefully your are and not just because you got caught ), show that you have reflected and understand what you did was unacceptable. I would avoid trying to make excuses to justify your actions.

Goodluck OP, hopefully you don't receive a harsh penalty and this serves as a learning experience for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Which uni?
Honestly no one on here can give a straight answer - you'll be better asking these questions to the university or course director themselves
Core is that they need to prove with evidence that is beyond balance of probabilies, ie a civil prosecution. You can defend it by asking for the evidence and get a lawyer in to review it. There are always defences. Could be that you were with others and relied upon their work, so can plead 'migitation' that it was not 100% your fault.If you did it, then options are to defend it, and see how strong their case is. Might be gossip and no substance. Otherwise can plead guilty, and then they can remit your case for clemancy. End is that what is the plea bargain you can get. If you talk to anyone employed at the university, they are on the other side and can be used against you, as a witness. You can only talk to a lawyer and get protection. Best bet, See a lawyer fast. This is not legal advice and should not be taken as such. Lastly honesty helps. If you stole work while in a company, then its jail. Think next time and do an honest days work...Leave WallSt films to be the on screen crooks.KindlyJJ
Original post by johnKiwi
Core is that they need to prove with evidence that is beyond balance of probabilies, ie a civil prosecution. You can defend it by asking for the evidence and get a lawyer in to review it. There are always defences. Could be that you were with others and relied upon their work, so can plead 'migitation' that it was not 100% your fault.If you did it, then options are to defend it, and see how strong their case is. Might be gossip and no substance. Otherwise can plead guilty, and then they can remit your case for clemancy. End is that what is the plea bargain you can get. If you talk to anyone employed at the university, they are on the other side and can be used against you, as a witness. You can only talk to a lawyer and get protection. Best bet, See a lawyer fast. This is not legal advice and should not be taken as such. Lastly honesty helps. If you stole work while in a company, then its jail. Think next time and do an honest days work...Leave WallSt films to be the on screen crooks.KindlyJJ

[video="youtube;V74Jd6cdfYw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74Jd6cdfYw[/video]
Original post by Profesh
[video="youtube;V74Jd6cdfYw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74Jd6cdfYw[/video]

LOL Sure. Get a lawyer. Better still be clean and stay away from those 10,000 an hour dudes. They can kill you life.
Reply 18
u should download 'grammarly' on ur phone/tablet/iPad/laptop and take a membership there; it will actually help u see/correct if ur essay is plagiarized or not, its really helpful.
Original post by Lana C
I am in deep **** here I been caught plagarising in my 1st year at uni I face a hearing tomorrow what could happen to me, I am so scared that I could be kicked out my parents will kill me as they are basically funding my university help!

Most Uni's take a dim view, you best hope they are lenient

Latest