The Student Room Group

been caught plagarising at uni

what will happen to me can they kick me off the course?
Firstly why? what fu*k up in your neurons forced you to plagiarize at uni of all places. Look if this is the first time just say sorry and ask for a second chance job done. and for shite sake be sincere.
Original post by Lana C
what will happen to me can they kick me off the course?

It depends on your uni and the exact nature and extent of your offence.
basically how extensive and blatant was it?

Whilst you shouldnt hide anything, then where possible you could suggest it was an accident if feasible or down to poor referencing. If you have been caught trying t deceive then you really do have an issue.

They may or may not let you off with a warning and that would be my hunch, but i cant be certain as I dont know the facts. In certain situations they cold withdraw you. You havent described what you have done so cant really guess. If they give you a warning, then its likely they will not give you another chance.
Depends what you did. If you actually just stole an essay or part of one then you don't have much hope I would say. If you accidentally wrote something too similar after reading it, misreferenced or something else which you might not have known was wrong/was accidental then you may get off with a warning.
Original post by AspiringAccount
Firstly why? what fu*k up in your neurons forced you to plagiarize at uni of all places. Look if this is the first time just say sorry and ask for a second chance job done. and for shite sake be sincere.

Hahaha savage but I totally agree. I'd rather send in a dire essay because they constantly warn you they have software that detects it. At least reword what you're copying for Christ's sake.
Original post by gussssss
Hahaha savage but I totally agree. I'd rather send in a dire essay because they constantly warn you they have software that detects it. At least reword what you're copying for Christ's sake.

damn straight, you know they got that premium grammarly package. Take a rep.
You could be kicked off yes, depending on the severity of the cheating.
your institution will have a published set of rules for dealing with plagiarism. look on their website.
As above, specific policies will vary between universities, and even departments in universities, for more minor infractions. Regardless it's likely you will have some kind of "hearing" with the administration and/or your personal tutor to discuss the matter - this may be more or less formal but again this varies between courses.

They certainly can kick you off the course though, and if not they will probably add a note to your academic profile on the universities administrative systems for the duration of your studies there at least. This may be transferred to your transcript once you graduate as well. They may simply give you a warning and a proverbial slap on the wrist - I believe the two people who were done for plagiarism (together) in my course were given a failing mark on that piece of work, and warned about it (they did it twice I believe - my former department operate some form of "three strikes" system but the extent to which this was enforced, I do not know).

You should speak with your personal tutor in the first instance about the ramifications of this
Reply 9
So cheating at uni is much easier than cheating at GCSE? How does that work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending