The Student Room Group

Lecturer Strike Final Year Exams

As I write we are on the eve of the first strike days. New modules start this week. My final three modules will all have lectures or workshops on strike days. The Union declared that there will be no catchup days allowed. Most final year students are in a similar situation. How is your department going to award degrees in this situation? FYI The Times suggests that grades may be based on course work only. Suites you Sir! ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hopefulbunny
As I write we are on the eve of the first strike days. New modules start this week. My final three modules will all have lectures or workshops on strike days. The Union declared that there will be no catchup days allowed. Most final year students are in a similar situation. How is your department going to award degrees in this situation? FYI The Times suggests that grades may be based on course work only. Suites you Sir! ?

Seriously not worth worrying about. It will be the same for everyone. Hardly the first time there has been a strike at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Seriously not worth worrying about. It will be the same for everyone. Hardly the first time there has been a strike at uni.

Has there been a strike of the same scale though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't know if your lecturers are UCU members. Your lectures might not even be affected.

If they are, what is more likely is the content of the course will be abridged to take into account the lost teaching. So you will have to learn a lot less, and probably will be graded leniently. Boo-hoo for you.
Original post by _Fergo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont have a chronology of lecturers strikes.

I would be completely indifferent as I would know something would be sorted. Whats the extent of the strikes? Are all lectures and exams cancelled or it it just a few days?

Its really not an issue and people wont suffer.
Reply 5
I dont have a chronology of lecturers strikes.

I would be completely indifferent as I would know something would be sorted. Whats the extent of the strikes? Are all lectures and exams cancelled or it it just a few days?

Its really not an issue and people wont suffer.

Well, of course it will affect things.

The dates are
22nd & 23rd February

26th-28th February

5th-8th March

12th-16th March

And they're threatening to go over exams. Mind you any lessons missed during those days won't be rescheduled. I'd say this does cause quite the havoc for third years cause it's literally the most important term of the degree.
Reply 6
Original post by _Fergo

Posted from TSR Mobile

In short, no there has not.
Original post by _Fergo
Well, of course it will affect things.

The dates are
22nd & 23rd February

26th-28th February

5th-8th March

12th-16th March

And they're threatening to go over exams. Mind you any lessons missed during those days won't be rescheduled. I'd say this does cause quite the havoc for third years cause it's literally the most important term of the degree.

As i said its just a strike an i wouldnt be worried. Unlikely to affect every course for all of those days. If people want to do headless chicken then its up to them.
Reply 8
As i said its just a strike an i wouldnt be worried. Unlikely to affect every course for all of those days. If people want to do headless chicken then its up to them.

I guess we'll see. But it's a very serious issue for the lecturers and universities seem hell-bent on pressing on with reforms. We literally received two opposed messages today, one from the head of school and the other from the vice chancellor, each blaming the other part.

I sure hope it doesn't affect exams cause I can't wait to be done with uni.
Original post by _Fergo
I guess we'll see. But it's a very serious issue for the lecturers and universities seem hell-bent on pressing on with reforms. We literally received two opposed messages today, one from the head of school and the other from the vice chancellor, each blaming the other part.

I sure hope it doesn't affect exams cause I can't wait to be done with uni.

They wont ruin students because without hem then they have no jobs. they will huff and puff a lot and eventually sort something out. If anything theres a chance you will be treated more leniently in marking. Not everyone will go or stay on strike either. If everyone is treated the same, then head down and prepare as normal. the exams have probably already been set, so they dont need lecturers for those, just for marking. Both sides need each other.
Reply 10
Nobody actually wants to **** anything up for students - none of us get into this **** to damage students and it's a bit sad that the discussion sometimes assumes that staff are somehow jumping up and down to sabotage the students we spend years trying to mould. But this is a really big issue, and the universities need to know the magnitude of it - they keep giving lip service but they haven't really got it. Sometimes these principles they claim they hold have to cost them a bit of money too, not just the rest of us. This is one of those times. I keep seeing talk of students suing the institutions - great, go for it. The more pressure at institutional level, the better. Yous should be pissed off, but be pissed off in the right direction and with a clear view of the bigger picture.

The sooner this is addressed in a satisfactory way to everybody, the better.
As OP it's time to clear up a couple of misconceptions in some replies.
1. Where I am some exams papers have not been set. Nor is there an exam timetable.
2. Modules are 5 weeks and start this week. So this exam will eliminate a huge chunk of teaching for 3 of my modules.. 3 modules which I have been looking forward to for years.
4. Most of my lecturers are UCU members... I made it my business to ask.
5. When I posted this question I was hoping to hear about how departments around the UK are preparing to award degrees based on incomplete teaching. I offered the example mentioned by The Times on 19 February where exams may be scrapped and grades awarded on the badis of course work. ...

This is a very big deal for lecturers and for some students. If you are not one one of those people please ignore this post. Various shouts that it is no big deal are not helpful.
On a practical note - We have read that there will be no catchup teaching allowed. That's a really stupid idea for practical courses where we are trying to learn how to actually do something (like maybe save your life but I can make an exception in your case if you think it's no big deal).

I have 27 lectures on planned strike days. After talking to lecturers I guess that about half will not happen. Two modules which start this week will be gutted.
How about you?
One thing is certain. .. it will NOT be the same for everyone.
I have 27 lectures on planned strike days. After talking to lecturers I guess that about half will not happen. Two modules which start this week will be gutted.
How about you?
One thing is certain. .. it will NOT be the same for everyone.

The people on your course and ding your options it will be.
It hasnt happened yet. No point in fretting imo.
Reply 14
The people on your course and ding your options it will be.
It hasnt happened yet. No point in fretting imo.

Well, all my lectures were cancelled today, and we have been told that two of the four questions in the summative coursework will not be covered at all. In essence, it leaves us with an option of two questions unless we're willing to take the risk.

That's pretty darn serious in my book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
Well, all my lectures were cancelled today, and we have been told that two of the four questions in the summative coursework will not be covered at all. In essence, it leaves us with an option of two questions unless we're willing to take the risk.

That's pretty darn serious in my book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will sort something out they always do. Doesnt that make your exam easier as it shortens the syllabus?
Reply 16
They will sort something out they always do. Doesnt that make your exam easier as it shortens the syllabus?

No, we'll still be assessed on the entire syllabus, except that the final parts won't be taught at all unless the strike is called off. So we'll have to do it on our own.

And at this point, I've lost all faith at the uni being able or even willing to 'sort' this out. It's all a blame game.
Original post by _Fergo
No, we'll still be assessed on the entire syllabus, except that the final parts won't be taught at all unless the strike is called off. So we'll have to do it on our own.

And at this point, I've lost all faith at the uni being able or even willing to 'sort' this out. It's all a blame game.

Just focus on what you can do is my advice. I doubt the worst will happen and one day they will just agree to a halt. they are going to significantly disadvantage students otherwise none of them have jobs. If you want to think of the worst then thats up to you, just not how I would approach it because it does you no good.
Reply 18
Just focus on what you can do is my advice. I doubt the worst will happen and one day they will just agree to a halt. they are going to significantly disadvantage students otherwise none of them have jobs. If you want to think of the worst then thats up to you, just not how I would approach it because it does you no good.

I'm not taking it that way at all, I will study these materials entirely on my own if I have to.

It's just plain disrespectful that both sides are using students as leverage, and we're literally paying for a service we're not receiving.
Original post by _Fergo
I'm not taking it that way at all, I will study these materials entirely on my own if I have to.

It's just plain disrespectful that both sides are using students as leverage, and we're literally paying for a service we're not receiving.

I'm just more philosophical about these things. I expect something will be sorted. Anyway we have different approaches. Will see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending