The Student Room Group

Girls, how do you like to be approached in a bar/club?

How do you prefer being approached on a night out?

Do you prefer a guy to be direct like "hey you look cute", or would you prefer something more indirect like "hey, how's your night going?"

Or something else...
they dont
“Hey *****” makes me feel all tingly inside😊
Reply 3
I like when they have something that fuels a conversation, or a good question. You have to be able to hold engaging conversation after the cheesy line, or the girl will lose interest and move on.

Drunk girls are very easily entertained so it shouldn’t be hard!
Original post by cat_mac
I like when they have something that fuels a conversation, or a good question. You have to be able to hold engaging conversation after the cheesy line, or the girl will lose interest and move on.

Drunk girls are very easily entertained so it shouldn’t be hard!

Can you think of any examples?
Reply 5
One time in Liquid I asked this Geordie girl what she thought of Aquinas' Summa. Obviously being a nobhead in front of the lads. Turned out she was a theology grad that read Latin. Eye well and truly wiped.
The secret is, there is no secret. Just conversate with them like you'd conversate with any other person you'd conversate with who you don't know very well, like your hairdresser for example, but keep her laughing, so make it light-hearted conversation. Literally your only job is to make them think "this guy seems alright" so when you do make the move and ask them if they wanna stay out tonight or whatever, they think why not, because they see you as a safe pair of hands.

If you're crap at keeping a conversation going generally, then maybe improve on that before you go on the pull, watch some YouTube vids or whatever. Plenty of "getting to know you" questions you can ask, though, like how old they are, what they do for work and so on.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's nice when someone makes a genuine observation that can actually start a conversation. Doesn't have to be about the person you're talking to, could be anything in the bar or pub or wherever you happen to be, but anything that opens up a conversation about some common ground tends to work really well. Since you don't know anything about them yet, the best way to get someone talking is to talk about something in the immediate area
Approach with a genuine smile and make normal conversation. Otherwise it can be a bit weird
'You look cute' is ok but I think a more tailored compliment works better. My favourites are when a guy compliments something I'm wearing e.g. when I'm wearing one of those 'if you know you know' brands. Another nice one is 'you're the best looking girl I've seen all night' the guys who have said it to me have probably said it to loads of girls that night but when you're a bit drunk it's the best compliment. Guys often also do the 'you look like -insert celebrity-' those ones are quite good because then it's something to talk about. I'd avoid complimenting a girl on their makeup because it might make them feel self conscious like they're wearing too much. I'd also avoid complimenting tits and bums.
If a guy asked me how my night was going I wouldn't really know how to reply, I'd probs just say something like 'it's good!' because small talk like that is a bit boring.
If I'm honest I can't remember the majority of openers, it's not really that important what you first say it's if you can then make the conversation fun or interesting after that. But yeah cat_mac is right, most drunk girls are pretty chatty and easy to talk to anyway. If you're really stuck then just tease her about something.
Reply 10
Original post by cat_mac

you are a girl who go's to nightclubs with the expectation of interesting conversation?

Sorry but that's never worked for me in the past. All that happens is that as a guy I have usually gotten fake flirted. Or i've been left confused as to if the girl is actually romantically interested because the convo has been too good.
Reply 11
Original post by RockyDennis

Do you prefer a guy to be direct like "hey you look cute", or would you prefer something more indirect like "hey, how's your night going?"

Or something else...

Best to pick your target wisely imo, that means waiting for eye contact or a smile first. Next hit the girl with a compliment. Judge her reaction to you, In the next 30 seconds if you do not get the sense she is attracted to you at least a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5 ....leave, there's insufficient attraction.

Next talk to her for 5-10 minutes, make an excuse to kiss her on the cheek and judge her response to you. Does she seem fine with it, does she recoil in horror? this is important information regarding how to proceed next.

If she reacted in a favorable manner to the kiss on the cheek, strike when the iron's hot [in the next two minutes] and go for a full kiss....

by using multiple levels of screening like this, you should only be engaging high probability women

running around cold approaching anything in a skirt is low probability, although if a person is a extremely good looking and also the same race as the girls then you'll still do well doing this as your looks and race will give you a good chance of doing well
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
you are a girl who go's to nightclubs with the expectation of interesting conversation?

Sorry but that's never worked for me in the past. All that happens is that as a guy I have usually gotten fake flirted. Or i've been left confused as to if the girl is actually romantically interested because the convo has been too good.

I was focusing more on the bar scenario than the club, guys that pop over with some cheesy chat up line get nowhere.

In clubs I usually get talking to guys in the smoking area or in the corridors tbh, I tend to lose my friends and while looking for them I’m side tracked by guys who are more interesting than my missing friends.

Best way to pull in a club is by dancing, no chat needed. Approaching someone is a different issue imo, got to keep her interested enough to want to spend more of her night with you. If you’ve got **** chat a girl will just signal her friend to come and rescue her or wonder off in search of something better.
Original post by ANM775
Best to pick your target wisely imo, that means waiting for eye contact or a smile first. Next hit the girl with a compliment. Judge her reaction to you, In the next 30 seconds if you do not get the sense she is attracted to you at least a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5 ....leave, there's insufficient attraction.

Next talk to her for 5-10 minutes, make an excuse to kiss her on the cheek and judge her response to you. Does she seem fine with it, does she recoil in horror? this is important information regarding how to proceed next.

If she reacted in a favorable manner to the kiss on the cheek, strike when the iron's hot [in the next two minutes] and go for a full kiss....

by using multiple levels of screening like this, you should only be engaging high probability women

running around cold approaching anything in a skirt is low probability, although if a person is a extremely good looking and also the same race as the girls then you'll still do well doing this as your looks and race will give you a good chance of doing well

Nobody I find attractive is going to make eye contact with me loool, never (literally almost 0% chance - hence I'm probably extremely ugly)... It's already easy for me to get with anyone who makes eye contact.

The only time I got a decent amount of eye contact was when I was on steroids (but even then the absolute best of the best of the best don't really meet eyes). I can't wait to go back on gear srs.
I don't like to be

We're not there for you
Original post by RockyDennis

Or something else...

To me being desperate and stubborn is a huge turnoff and I don't know what advice to give - with some people the conversation just comes natural so there is no universal advice probably. Just be kind, don't say anything mean - is sounds simple but guys often did that to me for some reason thinking they will be so nonchalant and cool lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending