The Student Room Group

88% attendance?? Cringe.

Ok so I'm half way in my first year of sixth form and I've been missing lessons due to medical issues. My attendance is gonna be at 88% as i missed one day. I haven't gotten a single warning at all for my attendance but is 88% too bad? If I negotiate with them (if they ever contact me) can I avoid having to possibly pay for exams due to my medical problems? I email all my teachers beforehand that I won't be attending due to illness so it's not like they have no idea where I am. I just hope it's not too serious since I'm only in first year.
Original post by Sally1912
Ok so I'm half way in my first year of sixth form and I've been missing lessons due to medical issues. My attendance is gonna be at 88% as i missed one day. I haven't gotten a single warning at all for my attendance but is 88% too bad? If I negotiate with them (if they ever contact me) can I avoid having to possibly pay for exams due to my medical problems? I email all my teachers beforehand that I won't be attending due to illness so it's not like they have no idea where I am. I just hope it's not too serious since I'm only in first year.

Your best bet is either you or you and your parents go and see the head and explain why you have been ill and take a doctors note. If its legitimate they wont mind as long as you have made an effort to catch up. You need proof and evidence you have been ill and an e-mail on its own is insufficient imo for extended periods of absence.

Not sure why you think you are paying for exams unless you are not in the UK? that is something to sort out with the school. they can just refuse to enter you for the exams if they dont feel you will pass.

Talk to them.
Original post by 999tigger

Not sure why you think you are paying for exams unless you are not in the UK?.

you have to pay for your own exams if you go to an independent school

OP you and your parents can probably arrange a meeting with the Head of your year or something and sort this out - good luck!
Original post by happysmile
you have to pay for your own exams if you go to an independent school

OP you and your parents can probably arrange a meeting with the Head of your year or something and sort this out - good luck!

At this stage the school hasnt said anything and the OP hasnt suggested they do not want or are unable to sit their exams. They can ofc decide they do not wish to and see if they can get the money refunded, but the cost is minor. They really need to talk to the school so everyone knows whats going on.
Provide proof of your illness and your school will have policies for these kinds of things.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
At this stage the school hasnt said anything and the OP hasnt suggested they do not want or are unable to sit their exams. They can ofc decide they do not wish to and see if they can get the money refunded, but the cost is minor. They really need to talk to the school so everyone knows whats going on.

Exactly I'm confused I heard if you go under 90% you MIGHT have to pay

I dont know your school rules. Its not much money anyway. It isnt even a definite. they could even seek refunds now if you have decided you will not sit the exams and need to redo the year. talking to the school as suggested can sort it all out as at the moment you dont seem to be communicating well with them.

My attendance is less than 70% (had a major operation in January and haven’t been back since). I’m taking AS maths this year and don’t have to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest