The Student Room Group

Fakes ass *****

So there is this girl in my squad and she basically copies my best-friends mental health. The best-friend is in a dark place and has been for over a couple years and she has her moments where everything gets top her so much she has a panic attack and cries. Now I do my best to help her out with everything, but thing that is really pissing me off at the minute is the fact that someone in a group isn't getting enough 'attention' and thinks its okay to fake mental health and say she is not coping and making up fake issues so that everyone is focusing on her and all the teachers. Now to me this is attention seeking, but what she doesn't realize is that what she is doing is effecting my best-friend and it ain't right that she thinks it's okay to manipulate mental health. Just because, she isn't getting enough attention from her family. She diagnoses herself with depression and other stuff for example she says has low IBS. She fakes her pain and it is so obvious. I just think its wrong, but don't know what to do so my best-friend doesn't more **** about everything and anything.

I don't know how to go about confronting her about it. Any suggestions ?!?!?!?!?
Definitely confront her and keep it private. There's no need to make a scene out of it or anything and do it in person. But I would say, as pathetic as it is that she's an attention seeker, she may have her own problems too, her begging for attention does somewhat suggest that. So when you do end up talking to her about it, don't start with an attack on her. Just say something along the lines of...you've been struggling too recently? Whats up? Make her feel comfortable to open up about her feelings & If she has a genuine reasons to be upset the way she is then help her out. Just make her feel comfortable and then she may admit that she's been feeling left out and then you can tell her to just ask for help rather than doing what she is.. BUT, if she does indeed just seek attention for no reason at all then just cut her off, attention seekers never learn.
How do you know she’s faking it? Don’t assume she’s faking her pain. Maybe she feels more comfortable saying it now that her friend has said it.
Original post by Jheinexx
How do you know she’s faking it? Don’t assume she’s faking her pain. Maybe she feels more comfortable saying it now that her friend has said it.

Exactly.
Reply 4
Original post by Cxm
Definitely confront her and keep it private. There's no need to make a scene out of it or anything and do it in person. But I would say, as pathetic as it is that she's an attention seeker, she may have her own problems too, her begging for attention does somewhat suggest that. So when you do end up talking to her about it, don't start with an attack on her. Just say something along the lines of...you've been struggling too recently? Whats up? Make her feel comfortable to open up about her feelings & If she has a genuine reasons to be upset the way she is then help her out. Just make her feel comfortable and then she may admit that she's been feeling left out and then you can tell her to just ask for help rather than doing what she is.. BUT, if she does indeed just seek attention for no reason at all then just cut her off, attention seekers never learn.

The thing is it is very obvious that is attention seeking because she copies everything my best-friend suffers with and has the same stories and same thing. Like she in a way has made its obvious that she is just doing it for attention seeking. At first I thought she was going through so much, but when put to and to together she just copies. It's like my best-friend has a copycat of her mental health. It is like a competition with her... who has the worse day.
Reply 5
Original post by Jheinexx

Shes admitted to certain people that she has over exaggerated her problems and constantly asks about my best-friends issues.
I would ask her why she's doing it and why she thinks it's a good thing to do.
just ignore her. she feeds off attention so the less of it she gets the better. if everyone just leaves her alone she will have to just give up the act
Original post by Georgia!x
So there is this girl in my squad and she basically copies my best-friends mental health. The best-friend is in a dark place and has been for over a couple years and she has her moments where everything gets top her so much she has a panic attack and cries. Now I do my best to help her out with everything, but thing that is really pissing me off at the minute is the fact that someone in a group isn't getting enough 'attention' and thinks its okay to fake mental health and say she is not coping and making up fake issues so that everyone is focusing on her and all the teachers. Now to me this is attention seeking, but what she doesn't realize is that what she is doing is effecting my best-friend and it ain't right that she thinks it's okay to manipulate mental health. Just because, she isn't getting enough attention from her family. She diagnoses herself with depression and other stuff for example she says has low IBS. She fakes her pain and it is so obvious. I just think its wrong, but don't know what to do so my best-friend doesn't more **** about everything and anything.

I don't know how to go about confronting her about it. Any suggestions ?!?!?!?!?

Why do we have this desire to interfere in other people’s lives? What is your business if she is faking her own mental health? Does it directly affect you or are you trying to get involved in something that doesn’t concern you.

I’d suggest that you mind your business and just be friends with everyone. Attention seeking is not a crime. If the girl then does something that affects you, then you can address it.

Don't be the Inspector of People’s Business, it is not a good look.
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800
Why do we have this desire to interfere in other people’s lives? What is your business if she is faking her own mental health? Does it directly affect you or are you trying to get involved in something that doesn’t concern you.

I’d suggest that you mind your business and just be friends with everyone. Attention seeking is not a crime. If the girl then does something that affects you, then you can address it.

Don't be the Inspector of People’s Business, it is not a good look.

It is affecting me cause it's affecting my best-friends recovery.
For the love of sanity. It's absolutely none of your business. Keep your nose out of it, you're not a health professional and regardless of if she's faking or not it isn't your problem. Leave her alone, stop thinking so aggressively. There's no need for it. It's childish and silly. Focus on looking after your friend and ignore it.
lol oh man I went to school with a girl like that. such an attention seeker, everything that happened to anyone else automatically happened to her too.
I had the displeasure of meeting someone who parrots other’s problems when I was in hospital, it’s extremely frustrating. If someone spoke in group, she would interrupt with how the same exact thing happened to her and talk about the fabricated story for ages, taking time off the people who opened up in the first place. I was struggling with self harm so scratching and digging my nails in to cope with urges, as soon as she saw me doing it she copied. She was a deeply troubled girl, but so much of what she said was bs that you couldn’t tell what was true and what was to get a reaction.

The best thing to do with people like that is to distance yourself from them. It’s unlikely anything you say will change her, and if it’s affecting you and your friend then taking yourself out of the situation is the best thing you can do.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
lol oh man I went to school with a girl like that. such an attention seeker, everything that happened to anyone else automatically happened to her too.

Exactly it is really annoying and getting me real pissed off because, it is really upsetting my best-friend.
Original post by Georgia!x
It is affecting me cause it's affecting my best-friends recovery.

If it is affecting your friend, then she should address her concerns, not you. You need to learn to mind your business, it is a key life skill.
Original post by Wired_1800
If it is affecting your friend, then she should address her concerns, not you. You need to learn to mind your business, it is a key life skill.

Maybe her friend has enough to deal with and she just wants to help out. Essentially it is her business if it’s affecting someone so close to her
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe her friend has enough to deal with and she just wants to help out. Essentially it is her business if it’s affecting someone so close to her

We are going on maybes. If it is affecting her friend then her friend should address the situation or ask her to do so on her behalf. Her friend is not an invalid or brain dead. We need to learn to mind our business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending