The Student Room Group

Can a Level 3 Diploma get me into Uni?

Hi,

So for the past two years I've been going to my local college studying my City and Guilds Electrical Instalation Level 2 and 3, but due to having issues finding an apprenticeship, and would also enjoy going more in depth, I have been considering trying to go into Electrical Engineering.

However I have been unable to find out whether my level 3, which I've been told is equivalent to two A levels, will be able to get me into a bachelors course. So does anyone have any idea if it will? Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Nope, that’s the thing i’ve been facing! A level 3 is 2 Alevels, you need three for most Bsc courses. I’m going to do a foundation year, other option is Access to HE. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Twitchas
Hi,

So for the past two years I've been going to my local college studying my City and Guilds Electrical Instalation Level 2 and 3, but due to having issues finding an apprenticeship, and would also enjoy going more in depth, I have been considering trying to go into Electrical Engineering.

However I have been unable to find out whether my level 3, which I've been told is equivalent to two A levels, will be able to get me into a bachelors course. So does anyone have any idea if it will? Thanks.

Some universities will make an offer based on UCAS tariff points.
Potentially try:
https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/engineering/undergraduate-electronic-electrical-engineering/#fees-and-reqs
https://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/electronic-engineering
...there will be others too.

Alternatively you might be able to go via foundation year.
Reply 3
Original post by cat_mac
Nope, that’s the thing i’ve been facing! A level 3 is 2 Alevels, you need three for most Bsc courses. I’m going to do a foundation year, other option is Access to HE. Good luck!

Thanks for the information, so will they definitely recognise a Level 3 in Electrical Installation do you know?

Original post by Doonesbury
Some universities will make an offer based on UCAS tariff points.
Potentially try:
https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/engineering/undergraduate-electronic-electrical-engineering/#fees-and-reqs
https://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/electronic-engineering
...there will be others too.

Alternatively you might be able to go via foundation year.

Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how many UCAS points I would get, but when I go about searching I don't see my course listed, so am I just missing something or do you know where I can find out?

Thanks again.
Reply 4
Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how many UCAS points I would get, but when I go about searching I don't see my course listed, so am I just missing something or do you know where I can find out?

Thanks again.

What's the exact name of the course Nd your likely grades? DD ?
Reply 5
What's the exact name of the course Nd your likely grades? DD ?

City & Guilds 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations Level 3 (Buildings & Structures)

And well, we haven't been given predicted grades, and we will be given about 5 or 6 grades I think as that is how many exams we have.
So far I have had two exams which were pass or fail only, I passed both (Electrical Science and Electrical System Design), however I imagine I will get a merit and possibly a distinction in the exams which allow it.
Reply 6
City & Guilds 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations Level 3 (Buildings & Structures)

And well, we haven't been given predicted grades, and we will be given about 5 or 6 grades I think as that is how many exams we have.
So far I have had two exams which were pass or fail only, I passed both (Electrical Science and Electrical System Design), however I imagine I will get a merit and possibly a distinction in the exams which allow it.

32 UCAS points, only option is pass or fail so it won’t change depending on grade.
A373123B-63C3-46E5-9684-A182966D0F0A.jpg.jpeg
Reply 7
Original post by cat_mac
32 UCAS points, only option is pass or fail so it won’t change depending on grade.
A373123B-63C3-46E5-9684-A182966D0F0A.jpg.jpeg

Is that per unit/grade or for the full diploma?
And I don't believe every exam I have is pass or fail, just 2-3 are to my knowledge.
Reply 8

I'm not familiar enough with C&G. Tagging someone who might help
@PQ
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Is that per unit/grade or for the full diploma?
And I don't believe every exam I have is pass or fail, just 2-3 are to my knowledge.

Full diploma, sorry. I wen’t through the same thing, unfortunately Level 3 doesn’t get much UCAS points. Exams might not be pass/fail but the overall qualification is.
Reply 10
Original post by cat_mac
Full diploma, sorry. I wen’t through the same thing, unfortunately Level 3 doesn’t get much UCAS points. Exams might not be pass/fail but the overall qualification is.

Well this is sh*t, haha.

Thanks for your help anyways.
Reply 11
Well this is sh*t, haha.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Who told you it was worth 2 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Who told you it was worth 2 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My college teachers.

And I think I read it online too. :/

So if I was to do a foundation degree would that allow me to get into a university for an Electrical Engineer bachelors degree? Or would that be a struggle?
Reply 13
My college teachers.

And I think I read it online too. :/

So if I was to do a foundation degree would that allow me to get into a university for an Electrical Engineer bachelors degree? Or would that be a struggle?

Yes a foundation would be fine, but again there are minimum Level 3 requirements, which vary by university. It's really best to start contacting some universities and checking if your current qualification meets their requirements.

Start with something like the CUG Ranking, and then sort by "entry requirements" - then work upwards...

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=electrical+%26+electronic+engineering

Also, ideally look for courses that are accredited by the IET (the industry body that looks after EE).
Reply 14
Yes a foundation would be fine, but again there are minimum Level 3 requirements, which vary by university. It's really best to start contacting some universities and checking if your current qualification meets their requirements.

Start with something like the CUG Ranking, and then sort by "entry requirements" - then work upwards...

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=electrical+%26+electronic+engineering

Also, ideally look for courses that are accredited by the IET (the industry body that looks after EE).

Okay, a big thank you for your help.
I have booked to go to this university/career open day thing so will hopefully be able to ask some people working at the universities there about my options, I'll have a quick look now and a better look tomorrow in the morning.

I've been reading some other forum threads and saw that the usual way people without A Levels get into Uni is through the access course then a foundation degree, so I'm guessing (depending on the university) that my level 3 will be sufficient/replace the need to do the access course?

Thanks.
Reply 15
Okay, a big thank you for your help.
I have booked to go to this university/career open day thing so will hopefully be able to ask some people working at the universities there about my options, I'll have a quick look now and a better look tomorrow in the morning.

I've been reading some other forum threads and saw that the usual way people without A Levels get into Uni is through the access course then a foundation degree, so I'm guessing (depending on the university) that my level 3 will be sufficient/replace the need to do the access course?

Thanks.

Depending on the uni/course you can go straight to 1st year with an AccessHE. *Some* universities ask for A-level maths in addition to AccessHE for Engineering but by no means all.

If you are aspiring to a higher ranked university then A-level Maths plus an AccessHE would be required, or a foundation year.

Your first task is to check how far you can go with your current qualification (the open day is a great way to do that).

Then you can figure out if Year 1 OR Foundation OR AccessHE is the next step.

Good luck! :smile:
Hi,

Contact the unis you are looking into. They’ll be the best people to give you a straight answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending