The Student Room Group

Resitting Year 12 A Level maths

I'm doing edexcel new spec A level maths in June (I'm in year 12 btw whos also doing further maths). I'm worried I might have to resit it in year 13 to get an A* though, because the grade boundaries are going to be so high, so it's fairly unlikely I'll be able to get an A*. I might be able to get an A.

I want to apply for Physical Natsci at Cambridge for 2019 entry, but what will Cambridge view this as when I am resitting it in year 13, alongside my other 3 A Levels (FM, physics and chemistry)? Will I get instant rejection? Or will they be more lenient as they know it's only further mathematicians sitting it when I do, hence the high grade boundaries?

If I get predicted A*A*A (in physics, chem and FM respectively), will they still be able to give me an offer despite only getting an A in maths?
Reply 1
Original post by pp_44
I'm doing edexcel new spec A level maths in June (I'm in year 12 btw whos also doing further maths). I'm worried I might have to resit it in year 13 to get an A* though, because the grade boundaries are going to be so high, so it's fairly unlikely I'll be able to get an A*. I might be able to get an A.

I want to apply for Physical Natsci at Cambridge for 2019 entry, but what will Cambridge view this as when I am resitting it in year 13, alongside my other 3 A Levels (FM, physics and chemistry)? Will I get instant rejection? Or will they be more lenient as they know it's only further mathematicians sitting it when I do, hence the high grade boundaries?

If I get predicted A*A*A (in physics, chem and FM respectively), will they still be able to give me an offer despite only getting an A in maths?

They don't mind resitting one or perhaps 2 modules but any more will definitely be problematic unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Why do you think you can't get an A* normally? There's more to setting the boundaries than you seem to think. They also look at the prior achievements of the cohort.

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/31/setting-a-in-the-new-a-levels/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
They don't mind resitting one or perhaps 2 modules but any more will definitely be problematic unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Why do you think you can't get an A* normally? There's more to setting the boundaries than you seem to think. They also look at the prior achievements of the cohort.

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/31/setting-a-in-the-new-a-levels/

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the linear spec though so I can't retake just 1/2 modules ;'(

So they are definitely going to reject me if I only get an A (lets say) but not an A*, even though the grade boundaries are going to be very high (higher than normal)?

The boundaries are going to be very high because only the current year 12 further mathematicians will be sitting these exams. No year 13s, just year 12s. So the boundaries are going to be pushed very high, otherwise there's no way of differentiating candidates of the cohort.
Reply 3
Original post by pp_44
This is the linear spec though so I can't retake just 1/2 modules ;'(

So they are definitely going to reject me if I only get an A (lets say) but not an A*, even though the grade boundaries are going to be very high (higher than normal)?

The boundaries are going to be very high because only the current year 12 further mathematicians will be sitting these exams. No year 13s, just year 12s. So the boundaries are going to be pushed very high, otherwise there's no way of differentiating candidates of the cohort.

Read the link please. And no I didn't say you would be definitely rejected. Cambridge will understand the circumstances for all new spec mathematicians.

See how things go with Y12 before worrying about all this. If you are doing well in Maths there's every reason to expect an A*.
Reply 4
Read the link please. And no I didn't say you would be definitely rejected. Cambridge will understand the circumstances for all new spec mathematicians.

See how things go with Y12 before worrying about all this. If you are doing well in Maths there's every reason to expect an A*.

Ok. I'm doing reasonably well at the moment, so hopefully I will be able to get an A*. But I have no idea whether or not my sort of percentages are 'A* worthy', because I'm the only one doing further maths at my school. Granted that's not the way to go about it, in other words I should score as best as I can, but it's still useful to know.

But let's say worst comes to worst and I narrowly miss out on an A* (perhaps <10 marks), and the grade boundaries are still higher than in previous years. So I may have gotten an A* if I did it in another year. How will Cambridge react to this? What would I need to get in terms of NSAA scores, to be able to receive an offer? Are they going to include an A* in maths as part of an offer (if I somehow got one)?

Also, with the predictions, does that mean the grade boundaries are going to be lower or higher than it has been (for cohorts with both year 12s and year 13s)? Not sure if I understand this whole prediction from GCSE thing. Does it equate to more A*s (which is only possible by lower grade boundaries)?
Original post by pp_44
Ok. I'm doing reasonably well at the moment, so hopefully I will be able to get an A*. But I have no idea whether or not my sort of percentages are 'A* worthy', because I'm the only one doing further maths at my school. Granted that's not the way to go about it, in other words I should score as best as I can, but it's still useful to know.

But let's say worst comes to worst and I narrowly miss out on an A* (perhaps <10 marks), and the grade boundaries are still higher than in previous years. So I may have gotten an A* if I did it in another year. How will Cambridge react to this? What would I need to get in terms of NSAA scores, to be able to receive an offer? Are they going to include an A* in maths as part of an offer (if I somehow got one)?

Also, with the predictions, does that mean the grade boundaries are going to be lower or higher than it has been (for cohorts with both year 12s and year 13s)? Not sure if I understand this whole prediction from GCSE thing. Does it equate to more A*s (which is only possible by lower grade boundaries)?

Sit a set of C1-C4, S1-M1 papers (roughly equivalent to your new spec) and if you can average 95%+ then I'll say you have secured an A*, no matter the boundaries.
Reply 6
Original post by pp_44
The boundaries are going to be very high because only the current year 12 further mathematicians will be sitting these exams.

Read the link Doonesbury posted. Ofqual and the exam boards are fully aware that the majority of people taking new spec A level Maths this Summer will be those studying Further Maths - Ofqual have emailed centres asking about the profile of their entries and they can see the prior attainment of the candidates. It may come as a surprise to you but they do actually use statistics to set grade boundaries.
Reply 7
Original post by pp_44

Fundamentally they will be awarding the usually expected number of A*s.

There's no "pass mark" for the NSAA. They are still bedding it into the process and generally use it positively rather than negatively, so a good mark can help, but a bad one won't necessarily disadvantage you. People get offers despite poor NSAA marks.
Reply 8
Original post by pp_44
Does it equate to more A*s (which is only possible by lower grade boundaries)?

No it isn't. It's possible by having a brighter cohort who do better than average - which is what you're complaining about. Regardless, Raw grade boundaries move around all the time to take into account the difficulty of the paper.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
Read the link Doonesbury posted before complaining again about how hard it will be for you. Ofqual and the exam boards are fully aware that the majority of people taking new spec A level Maths this Summer will be those studying Further Maths - Ofqual have emailed centres asking about the profile of their entries and they can see the prior attainment of the candidates. It may come as a surprise to you but they do actually use statistics to set grade boundaries.

Original post by Compost
No it isn't. It's possible by having a brighter cohort who do better than average - which is what you're complaining about. Regardless, Raw grade boundaries move around all the time to take into account the difficulty of the paper.

Calm down, I'm allowed to ask whatever question I want. And wrong, I'm not "complaining" about anything, I'm simply expressing my concern as a student, and I'm wondering how they view resists. If you don't like that then go away, nobody is asking for your input here. No need to come off as sounding so p*ssed off about a student asking a genuine question.
Reply 10
Original post by pp_44
Calm down, I'm allowed to ask whatever question I want. And wrong, I'm not "complaining" about anything, I'm simply expressing my concern as a student, and I'm wondering how they view resists. If you don't like that then go away, nobody is asking for your input here. No need to come off as sounding so p*ssed off about a student asking a genuine question.

Actually @Compost is a very experienced exams officer, and their input on this topic is valued :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Actually @Compost is a very experienced exams officer, and their input is valued :smile:

Maybe, but that's not what I'm saying. I was just asking a genuine question, and there is no need to say it in the way that they did. I wasn't "complaining" at all.
Reply 12
Original post by pp_44
Maybe, but that's not what I'm saying. I was just asking a genuine question, and there is no need to say it in the way that they did. I wasn't "complaining" at all.

"...because the grade boundaries are going to be so high, so it's fairly unlikely I'll be able to get an A*" sounds like a complaint to me too that the exam is unfair due to the grade boundaries.

Anyway, as has been said, focus on doing the best you can in the upcoming exams. Then once you get the results you can research the next steps.

Good luck!
Original post by pp_44

You might not like they said you were ‘complaimimg’ but you did sound like you were whinging, you know?
Anyway, you did receive some valuable advices which you wanted to know, so let’s settle there. :wink:
Good luck with your application.

Btw, if you want to read physics at any top university, the strength of maths and the proof of it is utmost importance.
(edited 6 years ago)
A* in maths is a joke, you’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending