The Student Room Group

Do you ever use Supermarket fuels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Maybe that was shadow? She passed about a year and a half ago and got a car about 6 months ago.
Haha it was the closest place to my uni house so used it a lot :tongue:
It is expensive tbf, I hope you have good bus routes and trains?

oh that must have been it :colondollar: (will stop getting your conversations confused one day i swear :getmecoat: )
you are forgiven :tongue:
and i do at home, plus i can still pass for a child ticket :hide: here the buses are a bit *****y and expensive as well
Original post by CoolCavy
oh that must have been it :colondollar: (will stop getting your conversations confused one day i swear :getmecoat: )
you are forgiven :tongue:
and i do at home, plus i can still pass for a child ticket :hide: here the buses are a bit *****y and expensive as well

I still recall when I was about 18 getting pulled on the Maidenhead-Marlow line for a ticket. Had a child ticket... had to get my smokes out my pocket to get to the ticket.

Dunno what was worse, passing for 15 or the fact that a 15 year old can have cigarettes and she thought nothing of it.

E: Forgot to answer the actual thread. It's 118.9~ per litre at Asda Pump Lane and is fairly popular, to be honest I've never really noticed the difference in fuelling in different places except for the price. Generally I fill up at Shell, BP etc as they're more convenient (I always do my tank refills on the way to/from work, it's more expensive but I'm too lazy to go out of my way to do it on a day off) - but more expensive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by JaguarLover101
I also don't think that any of this "Shell V-Power" or "BP Ultimate" is going to make my 206 some sort of speed machine (and if it did, I think my insurance company would be on me like a hawk).

If your engine is able to take higher than 95 RON it will say so in the manual. Putting Tesco 99 in your car might add 10% more fun... and won't invalidate your insurance (assuming the first sentence is affirmative) :smile:
I'll happily use supermarket fuel, as mentioned previously it's all produced to the same standards at the same refineries. I will occasionally chuck some premium fuel through just to let the additive package do its job, especially in a diesel.

Interestingly I've had much more of an issue with different fuels in the USA. I have a 2002 car which I assumed would happily use whatever I threw in it, but it developed a definite misfire on regular. It got better but was still present when using premium, but the best has actually been the mid-range stuff. Standard and premium both have up to 15% ethanol added and it seems my engine doesn't like that.
Reply 24
I fill up at either Tesco or Shell, more or less on a 50/50 basis (basically depends on which route I decided to take home, and if I fancy some Tesco doughnuts). Never noticed any difference in how far the fuel takes me, I get basically the same distance out of a tank regardless of which of the two I choose fill up at.
Reply 25
If you want to buy premium fuel in a non premium car then do it for the additives, don't expect a noticeable increase in performance or MPG.

First understand what premium fuel is (more specifically, 97 and above octane). Yes, they contain more or different additives but more importantly, the higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before igniting.

Now, with high performance engines they are designed to operate on a high compression ratio. The higher the compression ratio, the more compressed air and fuel it can take and thus produce a bigger bang. But such a mixture is more likely to ignite before it's supposed to due to pressure alone, this is known as preignition, which is the cause of bad things such as engine knock and deposits on cylinder walls which leads to very costly repairs or rebuilds on a premium engine. This is why premium fuel is MANDATORY on some high performance and luxury cars.

Cars with a low compression ratio DON'T NEED premium fuel because there's little danger of the air and fuel mixture igniting improperly. If you're just interested in cleaning out your engine's valves and injectors from carbon deposits from time to time you're better off just buying a bottle of additive and adding it to your fuel yourself. You'll save money that way.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FXX
The OP makes no sense. Is this a troll post?

Absolutely not, a friend of mine conducted a test, quite recently, with supermarket fuels and found most to be low quality, apart from Tesco's, Asda's and Esso's (although Esso isn't a supermarket fuel). Which hence made me make this thread.

But, I have noticed a difference when filling up with Tesco petrol and Morrisons petrol. Tesco petrol gives me a couple more MPG, and this has been the case on many occasions... Which also got me thinking (It may just be me which has noticed the difference :dontknow: ). Obviously, this could be down to my driving, but I'm convinced.
I only ever fill up with the 99RON at Tesco, think its called Tesco Momentum.
Reply 28
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Absolutely not, a friend of mine conducted a test, quite recently, with supermarket fuels and found most to be low quality, apart from Tesco's, Asda's and Esso's (although Esso isn't a supermarket fuel). Which hence made me make this thread.

But, I have noticed a difference when filling up with Tesco petrol and Morrisons petrol. Tesco petrol gives me a couple more MPG, and this has been the case on many occasions... Which also got me thinking (It may just be me which has noticed the difference :dontknow: ). Obviously, this could be down to my driving, but I'm convinced.

Placebo mate, it all comes from the same refineries.

Momentum is a different story, but the bog standard petrol is the same for all supermarkets.
Same here.
I usually fill up at sainsburys, because a) its nearest and b) i get nectar points.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Absolutely not, a friend of mine conducted a test, quite recently, with supermarket fuels and found most to be low quality, apart from Tesco's, Asda's and Esso's (although Esso isn't a supermarket fuel).

I'm calling bs. What qualifications and experience does your friend have? What independent lab did they do the testing in? What exactly do they mean by 'low quality'? As mentioned many times already in this thread, it all comes from the same refineries and is produced to the same set of standards.

If, however, your friend is genuine and those are correct results then why haven't they contacted the companies concerned and offered to work with them to fix the problem, or go public?
Reply 31
If you don't buy premium fuels, it doesn't really matter all that much. If you're buying a premium fuel, then it's probably best to go to a decent fuel station.

I just tend to fill up where it's cheapest but that's because one car is a diesel, and the other is pretty old and low end.
I mostly use Asda or Tesco. Never notice any real difference when I've used more expensive brands.

Original post by BurstingBubbles
I’ve been able to drive for 4 years, well I’ve had my license that long and my car getting on for 2 years. Passing my test and getting my own car is up there with some of my best achievements which is sad but I love driving :colondollar: have you learnt? :smile:

I think it's a great achievement. Sure, it's not the hardest thing to achieve ever and doesn't take long in terms of hours, but it takes a lot to step up to the plate and do it, especially if you're funding it all yourself. It's a step toward independence and becoming an adult, an extremely beneficial ability to have in life and opens up a lot of doors. I've had a lot of sporting achievements and stuff throughout my life which were earned through countless hours of dedication, and passing my test is up there with everything.
So where i live their are no supermarket stations. Only stations available are Shell or Esso. I use Shell as it's on the way to the gym I use. Plus i get points with Shell Drivers Club card. My mechanic, who services all our families cars says it's best to fill up at non supermarket stations because it's better for the engine, especially if you own a VW like me. Apparently VW engines don't like supermarket fuel haha.
The price of petrol never bothers me, I only ever put ten pounds in.
Reply 35
Original post by Pigster

That's not how economising works... (well partly because you aren't carrying excess weight). Also unless the petrol station is on your regular route you are adding mileage to go there frequently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Pigster

But you're getting less petrol at say, Shell or BP, than you are at a supermarket! Surely you're just filling up much more often???
Original post by Pigster

But you could potentially be getting less for your £10 than somewhere else.
Original post by nevershear
But you could potentially be getting less for your £10 than somewhere else.

Nonsense. Everywhere I go, I get my ten pounds of fuel.
Reply 39
Original post by Pigster
Nonsense. Everywhere I go, I get my ten pounds of fuel.

Clever pig is clever. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest