The Student Room Group

In UCAS, what happens with the courses that aren't my firm+insurance choices?

Do I lose those 3 other possible seats? If not, what happens with them?

PLEASE HELP
Reply 1
Original post by Brahiti
Do I lose those 3 other possible seats? If not, what happens with them?

PLEASE HELP

Yes, once you confirm your firm and insurance decisions any other offers disappear.
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes, once you confirm your firm and insurance decisions any other offers disappear.

So, ultimately, the UCAS only lets you fully apply to 2 universities?
Reply 3
Original post by Brahiti

No, you fully apply to (up to) five, receive some offers, pick two, get your results and go to one.

There are some other routes (eg. Extra, Adjustment and Clearing) but that's the usual process.
Reply 4
No, you fully apply to (up to) five, receive some offers, pick two, get your results and go to one.

There are some other routes (eg. Extra, Adjustment and Clearing) but that's the usual process.

But at the end of the day, you can only really have a chance of getting admission at 2 unis? To me, that is what a full application means :smile:
Original post by Brahiti

Yeah. So make sure your insurance is low or moderate requirement wise or you'll end up in clearing. It's better this way so Unis know they can then accept others who want to specifically do their course at their uni.
Reply 6
Original post by gussssss
Yeah. So make sure your insurance is low or moderate requirement wise or you'll end up in clearing. It's better this way so Unis know they can then accept others who want to specifically do their course at their uni.

Can I do clearing, when I already meet my insurance choice's requirements?
Original post by Brahiti

I assume they gave you an unconditional? I recently accepted an unconditional and now I have no clearing option. I'm certain the same goes for your insurance if you fail your firm. You've got the place, no clearing no nothing.
Reply 8
Original post by Brahiti
But at the end of the day, you can only really have a chance of getting admission at 2 unis? To me, that is what a full application means :smile:

No. And at the end of the day you can only be admitted at one university...

Original post by Brahiti

Yes you would have to ask your insurance to release you, which can take some time... It's best not to insure a university unless you actually want to go there.
I'd just stick with your insurance, much safer. Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
I assume they gave you an unconditional? I recently accepted an unconditional and now I have no clearing option. I'm certain the same goes for your insurance if you fail your firm. You've got the place, no clearing no nothing.

Ooo so basically the system is set up to put you in a pickle haha. I do have an unconditional but I know that course doesn't have as good a reputation as my other ones
Reply 11
Original post by Brahiti
Ooo so basically the system is set up to put you in a pickle haha. I do have an unconditional but I know that course doesn't have as good a reputation as my other ones

There's no pickle. Or chutney for that matter...

However, if you firm an unconditional you won't have an insurance either.
Reply 12
There's no pickle. Or chutney for that matter...

However, if you firm an unconditional you won't have an insurance either.

Oh, I'm considering making my unconditional my insurance. I'll guarantee it that way, right (as long as I don't get into my firm choice)?
Original post by Brahiti

That's what I felt like at first, it's daunting isn't it? It's not logical though haha. Do not worry about reputation. I picked the one of the worst rep bronze unis on my list because I care more about the experience and learning than anything else.
Reply 14
Original post by Brahiti
Oh, I'm considering making my unconditional my insurance. I'll guarantee it that way, right (as long as I don't get into my firm choice)?

Yes you can do that*. But do you actually want to go there? If so, great.

*Assuming it's a standard unconditional offer, not an "unconditional if firmed" offer.
Original post by Brahiti

Yes! That's what I told you lmao, your place is certified hence no clearing. So we actually got lucky in that respect.
Yes you can do that*. But do you actually want to go there? If so, great.

*Assuming it's a standard unconditional offer, not an "unconditional if firmed" offer.

Wow I've never heard of those. That's savage. Good idea though, unconditionals require investment from the uni.
Reply 17
Wow I've never heard of those. That's savage. Good idea though, unconditionals require investment from the uni.

Nope, it's a marketing strategy to secure (aka bribe) candidates so they don't go elsewhere.
Nope, it's a marketing strategy to secure (aka bribe) candidates so they don't go elsewhere.

Savagee. If I got one of those it'd multiply my stress by 1000 ;/ Ucas is stress as me and op display lolol. I went through all your questions and worries OP :L

Quick Reply

Latest