The Student Room Group

LSE, Imperial or UCL for MSc Financial Mathematics?

Poll

Which one is better?

Hello everyone,
I currently have conditional offers from LSE and UCL to do financial mathematics. I haven't heard from Imperial yet, but hopefully I'll get an offer too.
But what uni is the best to do Financial Mathematics/Mathematics and Finance if you want to become a quant?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Pretty such LSE is the best uni for anything finance in the UK (possibly the world!) so probably LSE.
I'd probably say LSE since it has a great reputation abroad as well.
Reply 3
Thanks for your thoughts:smile: but from what i’ve seen online LSE’s course is more theoretical than practical and i don’t know how i feel about that..
Reply 4
Original post by ntinosfotiou
Thanks for your thoughts:smile: but from what i’ve seen online LSE’s course is more theoretical than practical and i don’t know how i feel about that..

In order to be a quant, you need extremely good theoretical knowledge. Many quants in the industry have degrees in physics or engineering, because of the strong mathematical background that provides.
I'd probably say 1. LSE, 2. Imperial, 3. UCL.
Reply 5
Hello everyone!!
Ntinos fotiou could you share your academic background? And what was your final decision??
Reply 6
I am a 3rd year student at a decent Russel group university and I’m predicted to get a first class degree in Mathematics. I haven’t heard from Imperial yet, but if i get admitted to it, it’s going to be between LSE and Imperial. Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Nice! I also applied for the same courses (Lse, imperial), but I consider Warwick’s programme too. What is your opinion about that course?
I got my lse ID yesterday and imperial id about a week ago.
Reply 8
I dont know much about Warwick’s program. But from what I’ve seen online is a really good course. I personally chose LSE because is one of the best universities when it comes to finance, and Imperial for the same reason relating to Mathematics.
Reply 9
I see.. anyway thanks for the answers. Good luck to both of us!!
Reply 10
Good luck:smile: Let me know how your applications go, and maybe we will be course mates next year haha.
Reply 11
Original post by ntinosfotiou
Good luck:smile: Let me know how your applications go, and maybe we will be course mates next year haha.

Hello again!! I want to ask you a few questions. Firstly, before you had an offer from Lse did your transcript moved down?? Secondly, do you have made your final choice or you are still under consideration??😝
Thanks in advance!! 😎👍🏻

Yesterday got an offer from LSE!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys. I have recently submitted my application for LSE MSc Financial Mathematics as well. Can I ask what is the condition you got in your offer?
Reply 13
Original post by mel95iac
Hi guys. I have recently submitted my application for LSE MSc Financial Mathematics as well. Can I ask what is the condition you got in your offer?

Hi!! They require to obtain the degree with a final GPA of at least 8/10 ( I’m from Greece). I suppose if you are a Uk undergraduate student you must have a strong upper second at least! Good luck with your application 😊
Reply 14
Original post by Ser13
Hi!! They require to obtain the degree with a final GPA of at least 8/10 ( I’m from Greece). I suppose if you are a Uk undergraduate student you must have a strong upper second at least! Good luck with your application 😊

Hello,
I am required to obtain my Bachelor's degree with first class honours.
Good luck with your applications guys
(edited 6 years ago)
hey! have you guys heard back from Imperial in the end? @ntinosfotiou have you decided where you are going? im trying to decide between imperial and lse as well
hey! have you guys heard back from Imperial in the end? @ntinosfotiou have you decided where you are going? im trying to decide between imperial and lse as well

If your end game is merely breaking into the finance sector, both are great. It's just more likely that LSE would probably give you better networking opportunity because it's a finance factory.

IC's maths department is better, according to general consensus however.
Reply 17

Hi! I have also an offer from Imperial MSc in maths & finance. But now, I am between LSE and WBS because Warwick gave me plus a scholarship for Fin math master.
Original post by Ser13
Hi! I have also an offer from Imperial MSc in maths & finance. But now, I am between LSE and WBS because Warwick gave me plus a scholarship for Fin math master.

congratulations! hmm well its hard to turn down a scholarship! especially if it is a significant amount of money
Reply 19

Hello, well to be honest I got rejected from Imperial, but even If I had an offer I would turn it down because I managed to get a scholarship for LSE.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending