The Student Room Group

I’m a masters student – AMA

Hey everyone!

I'm Phoebe, I'm a full-time postgraduate student studying a masters in Psychology. I'm originally from Bristol but completely my undergraduate degree in Social Science at Brighton University, I then moved to Sheffield to study my masters as my undergraduate degree was not accredited and because I love the city! :banana:

I will be here live between 3-5pm on Friday 23rd February to answer any question you have on postgraduate studies, studying at Sheffield Hallam, or postgraduate student life!

Leave your questions below!
What type of scholarships do you have for master's students?
Then you will feel my masters pain , do Hallam set four assignments for the same day like the university of Manchester do ? :laugh:
Thanks Phoebe hallamstudents for doing this!

1) What do you want to do after studying?

2) What’s the best thing about being a postgrad student?

3) What is your typical day on this course?

HI Phoebe

I've done straight philosophy with a couple of small psych modules. I'd like to do a psych masters but concerned that I'd not have enough background knowledge to keep up (assuming anyone would take me). Do you have any on psych grads on your course?
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey everyone!

I'm Phoebe, I'm a full-time postgraduate student studying a masters in Psychology. I'm originally from Bristol but completely my undergraduate degree in Social Science at Brighton University, I then moved to Sheffield to study my masters as my undergraduate degree was not accredited and because I love the city! :banana:

I will be here live between 3-5pm on Friday 23rd February to answer any question you have on postgraduate studies, studying at Sheffield Hallam, or postgraduate student life!

Leave your questions below!

Hey!

I'm interested to hear about the scholarship you have too, or any other funding you've managed to get for your Master's?

I know that doing a Master's can have benefits career-wise, and for you if you get accredited! But what are the other personal benefits you feel you're gaining?

Ellie :smile:
Original post by Notoriety
What type of scholarships do you have for master's students?

Hello!

There are loads of different types of scholarships you can receive for a masters, here's a useful website with a list http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/level-of-study/masters-scholarships/

I actually use the masters student loan. This is relatively new and I think only came in the year I wished to do a masters (very luckily). It has already increased to £10,280. However, doing a masters you need to bare in mind that you are paying you tuition fee's with this loan. This is one of the reasons I chose to move to Sheffield. My tuition fee's are £6,400, rent is pretty cheap up here and so is general living. If I lives in Brighton still almost all of my loan would go towards my fee's! So it's really important to bare this in mind, along with how intense your course is and if you are able to work on the side.

Reply 7
How are you?
Whats the time
Original post by Supernova36
Then you will feel my masters pain , do Hallam set four assignments for the same day like the university of Manchester do ? :laugh:

Haha luckily they do not! I have been pretty lucky with my masters degree, I think as it is so similar to my undergraduate I'm only building upon my knowledge and writing skills as opposed to learning something completely new! My essays and all been spaced out relatively nicely. At the moment I don't have an essay due for 2 months but I am trying to use my time well and get started well before my first deadline as everything in May I have 3 deadlines in 2 weeks!
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Thanks Phoebe hallamstudents for doing this!

1) What do you want to do after studying?

2) What’s the best thing about being a postgrad student?

3) What is your typical day on this course?

1) I initially wanted to do a masters so I could have the credentials to further my education and become a therapist. However, as I am so young I don't think I want to do a PhD and go into that profession straight away. This is for a few reasons:

I think I would need to get a lot more life experience and will be treated with more respect both within the profession and from patients if I was a bit older. Also, I still want to explore the world and travel and have a fun job in my 20s. Therapy is very serious and I think I have a lot more emotional maturity to gain before I am able to deal with the strains of the job. My current plan is to work in PR, move to Australia and maybe California for a bit and travel as much as I can! Hopefully if I have enough experience I will be able to work wherever I am!

2) The best thing about being a postgraduate student is that you have done it all before, nothing is new and you have the confidence of your undergraduate degree to remind you that you can do it! Also, being able to explore a different city, meet some new people and experience new things! As I said, my undergraduate and postgrad degree are very similar so I have a lot more time to do extracurricular stuff than some of my classmates who have never studied Psychology before. At the moment I am doing work for the uni, doing the social media for a charity and also (trying) to re-start the environmental society! It's allowed me to try new things and learn more about what I want to do with my life :smile:

3) So my contact time is only on a Thursday. It's a full day from 9-5 (with a lunch break in between, but sometimes this isn't the case :frown: ) which mean it's pretty tiring = lots of coffee!! But I enjoy it that way as your with the same people all day and can end up having some really interesting conversations! People are more passionate doing a postgrad as they really want to be there, a bit of a different dynamic to an undergrad in that sense.

For the rest of the week I try to go to the library every day and get on with what I need to be doing. I'm not super strict on myself that I have a strict timetable on what I am doing as one evening I may go to the pub with friends and want a bit of a lie in, or I may have a few meetings throughout the day/other deadlines that I need to get on with outside of uni. I'm pretty good with time management and like to be busy so I don't find it all too stressful. I definitely try to have at least one day off (usually sunday) where I can just chill out and take a break, but as I said it really depends on what I have been doing that week!

Thanks for you questions :smile: hope this is helpful!!
Original post by Sceptical_John
HI Phoebe

I've done straight philosophy with a couple of small psych modules. I'd like to do a psych masters but concerned that I'd not have enough background knowledge to keep up (assuming anyone would take me). Do you have any on psych grads on your course?

Hiya!

Well my undergraduate was essentially Psychology as I had the freedom to pick and choose my modules to do that, however, it wasn't accredited. I have spoken to a range of people that have all sorts of degrees on my course - one of which was philosophy. As the Sheffield Hallam MsC Psychology is technically a conversion course, and with the help of the odd psychology module you took, I think you would be accepted!

Look at this website for more info: https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/find-a-course/msc-psychology

People on my course that haven't done psychology before do find it challenging but it just means you will have to do some more background reading and out-of-uni study time. A lot of people also chose to do the degree part-time, so over two years, so they are able to focus more on what they are learning without being overwhelmed which I would suggest if you think you need to!

Psychology is a lot about the way you think as opposed to what your learning, once you get your head around that they the learning side of things will come naturally! As psychology and Philosophy share similar characteristics I think you should be fine :smile:

Hope this helps!!
Reply 11
Any advice for A-levels exams:biggrin:? I am worried that I can't get required grades
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey!

I'm interested to hear about the scholarship you have too, or any other funding you've managed to get for your Master's?

I know that doing a Master's can have benefits career-wise, and for you if you get accredited! But what are the other personal benefits you feel you're gaining?

Ellie :smile:

Hello Ellie!

So I didn't actually go down the scholarship route, I took advantage of the new masters loan which has been really helpful for me! To be honest I didn't really look at any other options because I didn't think I would get a scholarship or any other support - it's definitely important to consider this as you will be in a lot less debt!!

However, as I said the masters loan is really helpful but you do have to consider things such as your tuition fees (as you are paying out of your loan rather than the luxury of the automatic payments during your undergrad), the general cost of living, and if you are able to work alongside your masters. A lot of people I know have chosen to do their masters part-time (over 2 years) so they are able to work alongside as some tuition fee's can be up to £10,000 which takes majority of you loan! So it's really important to bare all these things in mind.

In terms of the benefits I think doing a postgrad for me has given me a lot more confidence in myself, in my work, and in what I want to do with my life. I have been able to experience so many different things and meet different people and I think I really need this extra year to do this. Being able to says I have lived in 3 different city's at 23 and have done it all on my own makes me feel so happy and confident to what I have achieved as I didn't think I was capable when I was younger. I have become more independent and head strong!

Hope this is helpful :smile:
Original post by IDOZ
How are you?
Whats the time

Hello!

I'm good thanks! It is currently 3:43 pm in the UK so 1 hour 15 left of live time! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
Any advice for A-levels exams:biggrin:? I am worried that I can't get required grades

Hi there!

What A Levels are you taking and what are you predicted?

I actually didn't do too well with my A levels at all, for my AS I initially receive C, C, D, U and have to re-take and then for my A2 after getting As and A*s in all my practice papers I got C, C, D and didn't end up getting into my chosen uni which was a very sad day for me! (I spent it in bed crying and eating Chinese with my Mum). So do not be discouraged! There are always ways around things, just because you aren't good at exams during 6th form doesn't mean you can't do it. If you preserver enough and want it enough you can get there!!

As Einstein says if you judge a fish my its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid - for me I am just not good at exams and feel the pressure a lot but when it comes to essays I am so much better at showing my knowledge so as I said do not be discouraged! There are always re-takes and also clearing if you don't get into your chosen uni, a lot of my friends used this and ended up getting into better unis! Also, there are conversion courses/college courses you can do which will open doors to you and you may find a lot easier to achieve the grades you need :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Reply 15
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there!

What A Levels are you taking and what are you predicted?

I actually didn't do too well with my A levels at all, for my AS I initially receive C, C, D, U and have to re-take and then for my A2 after getting As and A*s in all my practice papers I got C, C, D and didn't end up getting into my chosen uni which was a very sad day for me! (I spent it in bed crying and eating Chinese with my Mum). So do not be discouraged! There are always ways around things, just because you aren't good at exams during 6th form doesn't mean you can't do it. If you preserver enough and want it enough you can get there!!

As Einstein says if you judge a fish my its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid - for me I am just not good at exams and feel the pressure a lot but when it comes to essays I am so much better at showing my knowledge so as I said do not be discouraged! There are always re-takes and also clearing if you don't get into your chosen uni, a lot of my friends used this and ended up getting into better unis! Also, there are conversion courses/college courses you can do which will open doors to you and you may find a lot easier to achieve the grades you need :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I am doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths
When I applied to universities my predicted was AAA but on my latest report (after mocks) my predicted are AAB but I don't think that prediction is anything if you don't feel that you can get them.
As A levels are linear I only have Maths exam in AS level and I got A in that
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
I am doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths
When I applied to universities my predicted was AAA but on my latest report (after mocks) my predicted are AAB but I don't think that prediction is anything if you don't feel that you can get them.
As A levels are linear I only have Maths exam in AS level and I got A in that

You should be fine! As I said, there are ways around things if you don't end up getting the grades you want so try not to stress and just do the best you can do :smile:
Thanks for all your questions! The live session has now ended but if you have any further questions then please ask away! I will try and get back to you when I can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending