The Student Room Group

NHS Banding

Scroll to see replies

I only do locum work if I am getting time off my normal job as part of it (e.g. work this week of nights for x raye of pay and you also don't need to work your normal daytime job for that period)
Reply 21
Original post by Etomidate
I don’t do locum work, purely because I feel like I already dedicate a lot of my time to this job, including portfolio and exam work in my spare time. And to me, £35/hr isn’t really worth the extra hassle and risk.

Also I live quite comfortably with my salary. When you look at it, it’s pretty decent and well above the national average. I can afford to live in a nice flat, run a sporty car, eat out frequently, have small holidays and still save money (I don’t have kids and I live outside of London).

The guy I mentioned didn’t get into trouble, but he ended up hospitalising himself. But I bet if he made a significant mistake during his ridiculous shifts, the hours he chose to work would be used against him.

I imagine he was earning about £55 an hour doing 8he shifts, so you do the maths. He could do this because there was nobody else to cover the shifts. It’s a buyers market.

Private work is limited to consultancy really. There are bits you can do as a junior but this is more or less limited to doing crem forms whenever they pop up. You get paid about £70 for about 15m work. But these are few and far between.

So do consultants pick and choose private work, or is it as if they're competing for it? Some of the stuff you've mentioned is really insightful, I'm just worried as I need to pay off certain debts and really want to help my family out when I get to that stage. I find it pretty crazy that the guy earned almost 9k for 20 days of work, however, was this whilst working his normal shift? I ask because Nexttime mentioned that sometimes locum work enables you to skip daytime work (how can this be the case?). So ultimately, do you think a ST1 or CT1 can get to 50k a year post tax, working locums etc? I imagine it would be hell, but yeah.
Original post by Haler22
I ask because Nexttime mentioned that sometimes locum work enables you to skip daytime work (how can this be the case?).

I get the strong impression you have not worked a job before :p:

You work where you are needed. In some circumstances, they really need a night or weekend person and are willing to pull you off daytime duties to fill it.

So ultimately, do you think a ST1 or CT1 can get to 50k a year post tax, working locums etc? I imagine it would be hell, but yeah.

Post-tax?! That'd be about 90K pre tax- no way that will be possible really.

Remember that you are not allowed to work more than 56 hours per week, which on most jobs will mean you are able to do a maximum of 8 hours locuming per week. Even at a high rate of £50 per hour, and even assuming you push it to the absolute limit, you're looking at at most £20K extra pre-tax, which is about £10k extra post-tax. So you're probably looking at max £35k post-tax, student loan and pension. I guess you could opt out of the pension but the pension is a good deal and that is not advisable. Also remember you also need to pay GMC fees, MDU fees, exam fees, and a few other costs, which takes away a good 1-2k. Also commute costs (as your job moves large distances very often) can add up.

You can earn that sort of money in other countries but not in the NHS at that grade.
Reply 23
Original post by nexttime
I get the strong impression you have not worked a job before :p:

You work where you are needed. In some circumstances, they really need a night or weekend person and are willing to pull you off daytime duties to fill it.

Post-tax?! That'd be about 90K pre tax- no way that will be possible really.

Remember that you are not allowed to work more than 56 hours per week, which on most jobs will mean you are able to do a maximum of 8 hours locuming per week. Even at a high rate of £50 per hour, and even assuming you push it to the absolute limit, you're looking at at most £20K extra pre-tax, which is about £10k extra post-tax. So you're probably looking at max £35k post-tax, student loan and pension. I guess you could opt out of the pension but the pension is a good deal and that is not advisable. Also remember you also need to pay GMC fees, MDU fees, exam fees, and a few other costs, which takes away a good 1-2k. Also commute costs (as your job moves large distances very often) can add up.

You can earn that sort of money in other countries but not in the NHS at that grade.

You're right, I have only volunteered haha. And I think it would be about 70-75k surely? I think I will opt out of pension, as I don't really fancy it. However, at CT1/2 isn't the base already near 50k? So surely, locumming and the extra reward for being available on call as well as night shifts could add up?
Original post by Haler22
You're right, I have only volunteered haha. And I think it would be about 70-75k surely? I think I will opt out of pension, as I don't really fancy it.

#yolo

Honestly, it is strongly recommended you do not do that, but its your funeral (or lack of, due to lack of funds!).

However, at CT1/2 isn't the base already near 50k?

I linked the detailed tables to you in this thread earlier. Base pay is £36k.

I type 90k into a net tax calculator and with tax, student loan and pension it comes to ~49k actually (maybe a bit less - CBA to look at exact pension contributions). Without pension it would be 57k.
Reply 25
Original post by nexttime
#yolo

Honestly, it is strongly recommended you do not do that, but its your funeral (or lack of, due to lack of funds!).

I linked the detailed tables to you in this thread earlier. Base pay is £36k.

I type 90k into a net tax calculator and with tax, student loan and pension it comes to ~49k actually (maybe a bit less - CBA to look at exact pension contributions). Without pension it would be 57k.

Fair enough, I guess I might pursue private work in the future to make a little more. I hope I can get into a good speciality lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending