The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CollectiveSoul
you've got to show cambridge you can cope with the rigours of 4 traditional a levels.

No you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by D3LLI5
You could consider further pure additional maths, but really if you’re doing further maths and computer science you’ll already be overlapping like half of physics.

Additional Further Maths is no longer available in the syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an interview without further maths, but struggled a lot with the CSAT - it covered some topics I hadn't done in school yet. Can't help with the further maths aspect, but I imagine that it would be very helpful for the type of thinking needed in the assessment.

That being said, I was given a tour of the college by a first-year who hadn't done further maths, so it is possible (just unlikely) :smile:

Definitely take maths though, and if you don't want to take FM as an extra focus on practicing for the assessments, and start self teaching some of the course pre-application (which would've helped me :wink:)
What OP really need to understand is taking FM is preferable not just to be competitive when applying but, more importantly, you’ll need the foundation when reading CS at Cambridge......
Original post by Doonesbury
Additional Further Maths is no longer available in the syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rip
I'm in Year 11 too and I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my A Levels. I was considering applying to Cambridge but now I don't know since I live next to some good RGs and there'd be less workload if I don't take the CSAT.

Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics
Required by some Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level in a second or three science/mathematics subjects and/or particular subject.

As you can see from the entry requirements, you simply need an A Level in Maths. Some colleges would want you to take two more 'science/mathematics' subjects. So, A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the best combination for securing an offer. Of course, you'll need to be predicted, and getting, A*s. Physics would probably be a better option than Computer Science since it has more maths involved. Some colleges may acknowledge Computer Science, but others may consider it as a 'soft subject' because the A Level is not like the degree. A degree in Computer Science, especially at Cambridge, is extremely heavy in maths. That's why Cambridge expects you to be taking Further Maths, and Physics (or another science subject like Chemistry) to an extent. If you don't take Further Maths, then you would be expected to catch up on the content in a much shorter period of time. If you don't take Computer Science, then that's fine, since Cambridge teaches programming from the ground up.
If you're taking Business instead of, say, Physics, you'd probably be at a disadvantage, since Business is considered as a soft subject and won't help you much at Cambridge. If you don't take Further Maths at all then you would certainly be at a disadvantage.
Honestly I think you should apply elsewhere for a degree in Computer Science with Business Management. At Cambridge there's an extremely low chance of anyone getting in, and it seems you would be more successful elsewhere. Take Maths, Computer Science and Business since you enjoy them. Tons of great universities will accept you since most only require A Level Maths.
Now even I don't want to apply to Cambridge!
Reply 26
Original post by korosensei
I'm in Year 11 too and I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my A Levels. I was considering applying to Cambridge but now I don't know since I live next to some good RGs and there'd be less workload if I don't take the CSAT. ... Now even I don't want to apply to Cambridge!

Cambridge would be just one of your 5 choices. You have nothing to lose by applying and then the professionals can determine if you will be a "good fit" for the course at Cambridge. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 32894075890234
1) I know physics is almost an unofficial requirement, but I dont really love physics and therefore I dont think I will do it for A level, am I at a disadvantage?

2) Are these A levels ok? Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies (+ possibly F. Maths), what about if I decide not to do F. maths? Do I even stand a chance without physics and with Business? (I really enjoy business)

3) What things can I do know to better my chances? I already do a lot of outside reading due to my passion for cryptocurrencies.

Thanks.

If your school offers FM but you don’t take it, their first question at interview/(they even ask it on the SAQ) will be ‘why did you decide not to take Further Maths?’ I also doubt that you would be able to do well in the CSAT and maths based interview questions without Further Maths.

At the open day last year they said that it is pretty much required if it is offered at your school.

I’d also suggest just keeping up with the reading and maybe asking your school if you could do maths and CS challenges (such as Bebras), as well as programming a little outside of the classroom :smile:

yes you do.
Reply 29
yes you do.

A significant (and increasing) number of students at Cambridge have "just" 3 A-levels, even for STEM subjects including Maths & FM.

In 2013 15% of Engineers had 3 A-levels, in 2014 it was 20%.

And that number is increasing further due to school policies changing as a result of lineaar A-levels.
A significant (and increasing) number of students at Cambridge have "just" 3 A-levels, even for STEM subjects including Maths & FM.

In 2013 15% of Engineers had 3 A-levels, in 2014 it was 20%.

And that number is increasing further due to school policies changing as a result of lineaar A-levels.

Further Maths is normally expected to be a 4th a level.

20% of engineers have 3 A levels generally, or specifically at Cambridge? Still a minority
Reply 31
Further Maths is normally expected to be a 4th a level.

20% of engineers have 3 A levels generally, or specifically at Cambridge? Still a minority

Cambridge. And I didn't say it was a majority.

If you recall you said...
you've got to show cambridge you can cope with the rigours of 4 traditional a levels.

...and that's simply incorrect. It's not a requirement, and it's not even an option at some schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Cambridge. And I didn't say it was a majority.

If you recall you said...

...and that's simply incorrect. And not even an option at some schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where it's not an option, the reference will say.

when the OP asked 'what is needed to get into Cambridge for comp sci', it didn't mean what is the minimum requirements, it meant what is realistically needed to give them a good chance of getting in.

the answer is 4 traditional a levels including f maths. you can thank me in rep
1) I know physics is almost an unofficial requirement, but I dont really love physics and therefore I dont think I will do it for A level, am I at a disadvantage?

2) Are these A levels ok? Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies (+ possibly F. Maths), what about if I decide not to do F. maths? Do I even stand a chance without physics and with Business? (I really enjoy business)

3) What things can I do know to better my chances? I already do a lot of outside reading due to my passion for cryptocurrencies.

Thanks.

You interested in any sciences, high ranking universities like any of the sciences for a - level (this is includes psychology which is also a science) but 100% need maths and further maths for cambridge. No prior computing experience is required so thats why alot of people choose one of the sciences becuase they are advanced and very difficult.
where it's not an option, the reference will say.

when the OP asked 'what is needed to get into Cambridge for comp sci', it didn't mean what is the minimum requirements, it meant what is realistically needed to give them a good chance of getting in.

the answer is 4 traditional a levels including f maths. you can thank me in rep

I'm a Cambridge CompSci with three A-levels. I did do STEP as well (and an EPQ I guess), but I know plenty of people who didn't; four A-levels are not necessary or even particularly helpful for CompSci (I don't think there are any subjects where you need four, but I expect it's pretty helpful for e.g. NatSci, because of the breadth of the course, or Medicine, because of the ridiculous level of competition).

@OP
Do Maths, FM, and probably Computer Science (the first two are the vital ones).
Take all 4 A-Levels, it has been done before. Just work hard and you can do it!
If you feel it's getting too much, you can then drop one. But with physics, maths, and further maths, there's a lot of overlap, so it can be manageable.
Reply 36

Thanks.

Hi, there. I don't recall A-Level Physics being a requirement for the Computer Science course at Cambridge though I think it might ask for A-Level Maths but check the website and if it says required, it means you must do that A-Level to get into that specific course. Secondly, your proposed A-Level combinations are fine though I would swap Business Studies with Economics but it doesn't matter too much unless the university has a list which says it doesn't accept a qualification in that subject. Thirdly, doing outside reading for your subjects is a fantastic way of showing why you are a worthy candidate for the course you want to do and I would recommend doing essay competitions or visiting difference places to develop your knowledge and interest for any subject you want to do. If you want to know more about Computing A-Level you can ask @Lemur14 because she studies it at A-Level and can tell you what it's like. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Saif Saleemi
(this is includes psychology which is also a science)

By no means is it always considered a science.
By no means is it always considered a science.

i didn't expect this comment from you of all people, Doonesbury!
Reply 39
i didn't expect this comment from you of all people, Doonesbury!

Why? When universities ask for a science they sometimes allow psychology and they sometimes don't. It varies by course/university.

Cambridge, for example, doesn't.
"Please note that in the following 'science/mathematics subjects' refers to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics. It does not include Psychology."
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

Simple really.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending