The Student Room Group

Has anyone here made LIFE-LONG friends in Uni?

Hey there,
so I am currently at school and I was wondering if you make LIFE-LONG friends at university? Because I currently have no friends since I think everyone my age is super immature and cringey and I think that I may never find any life long friends throughout their education...

Has anyone found any? How did you meet? Was it the same degree?
Reply 1
I have one friend that I would consider to be a life-long friend. We met at university and she was on the same course as me. We tend to meet for birthdays and Christmas celebrations. The friendship is still there like at uni, we just have our own jobs but we make an effort to meet.

The rest are just the kind of friends who would only wish you a happy birthday, engage in small talk and then not talking again for a year.
(edited 6 years ago)
DEFO !
Reply 3
I met my friend at university, the best friend I ever had really. But life-long? I don't know what will happen tomorrow, next year, in 5 years.
I'm 21 and haven't left uni yet, but I'd like to think that some of the people I've met here will be present in my life for ever. There's a lot more people at uni than at high school/sixth form, so more chances to find people you click with.
Original post by Supernova36
DEFO !

How did you meet? Were/are you doing the same degree? Are they closer than the ones you made at school?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm 21 and haven't left uni yet, but I'd like to think that some of the people I've met here will be present in my life for ever. There's a lot more people at uni than at high school/sixth form, so more chances to find people you click with.

Are they closer than the friends you made at school?
Original post by queenmeelzx
How did you meet? Were/are you doing the same degree? Are they closer than the ones you made at school?

My life long uni friends I met at halls , I made really good friends with people on my course as well but we stay in touch less regularly. Tbh they’re on the same level as my school friends xox
Original post by UWS
I have one friend that I would consider to be a life-long friend. We met at university and she was on the same course as me. We tend to meet for birthdays and Christmas celebrations. The friendship is still there like at uni, we just have our own jobs but we make an effort to meet.

The rest are just the kind of friends who would only wish you a happy birthday, engage in small talk and then not talking again for a year.

Out of all the friends you've made in your life, would you say that she is one of the closest?
Reply 9
Out of all the friends you've made in your life, would you say that she is one of the closest?

Yes. We were already close at university but unlike my other friends, we both made an equal effort to stay in touch.
Hey there,
so I am currently at school and I was wondering if you make LIFE-LONG friends at university? Because I currently have no friends since I think everyone my age is super immature and cringey and I think that I may never find any life long friends throughout their education...

I met my husband so I d count him as a life long friend, different degree but we met at a film society meet.
Original post by claireestelle
I met my husband so I d count him as a life long friend, different degree but we met at a film society meet.

What? THATS SO AWESOME!
My parents are in their 50s, and still keep in contact with some uni friends, but by that I mean they send Christmas cards and meet up maybe every 5-10 years.

I'm sure some people do keep close friends with their uni buddies through their whole life, but I think it's normal to have a different "core" group of friends 20+ years later as you all change and go through different stuff. Uni isn't your last chance to make friends.
Are they closer than the friends you made at school?

It's hard to quantify 'closeness'. The people who I would consider my 'best friends' I have known since reception, but I can go for months without speaking to them. I would say that living with my uni mates has helped bring us closer, e.g. house hunting and such, and studying the same course means that we have a lot more in common than I do with some of my friends from school.
Hey there,

Yes - met my husband plus three people I still meet up with regularly. None were on my degree course.

Quick Reply

Latest