The Student Room Group

I've dropped out of sixth form, what do i do?

My first year of a-levels went great I was doing good in all my classes and retaking my maths GCSE. When Y13 came within the first few weeks I was not enjoying any of my subjects and when I am not enjoying something I can't give my 100%. It was tough because I was not doing well. My mocks were coming up in January and I knew for definite that there was not going to be a good end result. From September till december I was being hopeful and tried my best. Nothing was going good for me and even my teachers showed a a concern. So I made the decision to leave. But I knew that if i left then I would go into something else like an apprenticeship. It's now February and I've applied and attended interviews but still I have not heard anything back. I don't want to regret my choice, guys please help me. What do I do?
I want to go to uni at some point and extend my studies. Dropping out of sixth form was never an option for me as i've seen others do it and then end up doing nothing. I fear that i might end up like the others. Help!!!! :/
Reply 1
You probably shouldn’t have dropped out as you only had a few months left, would you be able to go back?
Reply 2
I’d have to get in touch with the sixth form but it’ll almost be 3 months in March so I doubt it. I was thinking to speak to my head and request if I can come back in September and retake Y13. Do you think it’s possible?
Keep onto
Original post by IconicASA
My first year of a-levels went great I was doing good in all my classes and retaking my maths GCSE. When Y13 came within the first few weeks I was not enjoying any of my subjects and when I am not enjoying something I can't give my 100%. It was tough because I was not doing well. My mocks were coming up in January and I knew for definite that there was not going to be a good end result. From September till december I was being hopeful and tried my best. Nothing was going good for me and even my teachers showed a a concern. So I made the decision to leave. But I knew that if i left then I would go into something else like an apprenticeship. It's now February and I've applied and attended interviews but still I have not heard anything back. I don't want to regret my choice, guys please help me. What do I do?
I want to go to uni at some point and extend my studies. Dropping out of sixth form was never an option for me as i've seen others do it and then end up doing nothing. I fear that i might end up like the others. Help!!!! :/

You should be able to return to sixth form but under a new year. They won’t allow you to join back where you started as you would have missed key lessons ect.

If you cannot. Try college courses or colleges that do, do A-levels.

You can study a degree at university following an apprenticeship with a company; they're the ones that you usually fund you.

Also, you don't have to do A Levels to get into uni - BTECs, access courses are alternative methods.
Reply 5
Original post by MissVampire
Keep onto

You should be able to return to sixth form but under a new year. They won’t allow you to join back where you started as you would have missed key lessons ect.

If you cannot. Try college courses or colleges that do, do A-levels.

I’ve emailed my head of year and requested if I can come back in September but starting Year 13 again. I really hope she replies with the answer that I want
Reply 6
I think you should go back to Sixth Form, I was in a similar boat and really struggled with my A-Levels, I failed AS Maths twice, and just gave up with it in the end... Even if you drop down to two subjects, universities will still accept you. I received an unconditional offer from Derby, and an offer from De Montfort, so go back to school, do two A-Levels, cut your work load down, take a little of the stress off. As long as you contact your unis when you apply, you have a chance of getting in. They understand, they're not robots. But go back, x

P.S. I only have two A-Levels.
Reply 7
Say you had personal issues and you weren't thinking straight and that the pressure was getting to you. I'm sure they'd consider taking you back. It's worth pushing on for a few more months. It'll put you in a better position for the future and give you more options.
1) go into a corner and think about what you've done
2) go back, that wasn't long enough
3) go back to sixth form and get some balls and motivation to complete something that most of the world doesn't have the privilege of access to

What do you want to do career wise at the moment? you said you would look for an apprenticeship and that you want to go back to uni in the future but to do what?

Its pointless advice to just say go back to sixform until you give more info on what you want it to lead to (career wise)

The reason people do nothing when they drop out is because they dont have a plan of what they want to do after dropping out, they just think it will come to them once they leave, it doesnt for most people
Reply 10
Original post by madmadmax321
What do you want to do career wise at the moment? you said you would look for an apprenticeship and that you want to go back to uni in the future but to do what?

Its pointless advice to just say go back to sixform until you give more info on what you want it to lead to (career wise)

The reason people do nothing when they drop out is because they dont have a plan of what they want to do after dropping out, they just think it will come to them once they leave, it doesnt for most people

I’ve been applying to the NHS
I want to make a career as a occupational support worker. I want something in allied health.
I’ve emailed my head of year and requested if I can come back in September but starting Year 13 again. I really hope she replies with the answer that I want

She should do! All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest