The Student Room Group

Is there a way of getting into architecture without doing gcse/A level art

I’m currently doing my GCSES and we were told to pick our A-Levels and I picked maths,history and biology(still not sure if I want to do biology). Anyways at my school I can’t pick a level art as I haven’t done it for gcse and I know a lot of uni want a portfolio for architecture I just don’t know how to. I was thinking courses but I’m not sure if I can afford courses but I really want to do architecture.so could I just not draw at home at it only needs to be a portfolio and not an actual gcses or a level and just keep asking my art teachers how to improve my drawings. Also what type of drawings are universities looking for anything would help really thank you

Scroll to see replies

Well A-Level Art isn't actually a requirement for any UK architecture course, but as you don't have GCSE Art, you may be asked to submit a portfolio by schools that don't normally request them, so definitely prepare one. Are you doing any sort of art/design GCSE like textiles or product design/graphics?

Have you considered either Geography or Physics for your third A-Level? Either are more relevant to architecture and Geography goes well with History and Physics with Maths. Also if you want to take Art have you tried badgering your school to let you take it? I know people who've taken A-Level Art without the GCSE but they were allowed to because they had a portfolio to show their skill.

You should be doing mainly drawing but also 3D work (they really like to see it to show that you have a spatial ability). For the drawing keep to observational (not from photos or your head). Draw anything you want to, but good starting points are buildings, spaces, anything 3D/structural, and life drawing (human figures).
Reply 2
Original post by Amanzhol
Well A-Level Art isn't actually a requirement for any UK architecture course, but as you don't have GCSE Art, you may be asked to submit a portfolio by schools that don't normally request them, so definitely prepare one. Are you doing any sort of art/design GCSE like textiles or product design/graphics?

Have you considered either Geography or Physics for your third A-Level? Either are more relevant to architecture and Geography goes well with History and Physics with Maths. Also if you want to take Art have you tried badgering your school to let you take it? I know people who've taken A-Level Art without the GCSE but they were allowed to because they had a portfolio to show their skill.

You should be doing mainly drawing but also 3D work (they really like to see it to show that you have a spatial ability). For the drawing keep to observational (not from photos or your head). Draw anything you want to, but good starting points are buildings, spaces, anything 3D/structural, and life drawing (human figures).

Thank you, and yes I have tried asking my teachers at school and they said it is not possible. Also, no my school doesn't provide any other design/graphics type subjects only art unfortunately
Reply 3
It’s a little late into the year but my school also doesn’t do art so I’m in the same situation! I want to go into graphic design but can’t do the GCSE However I emailed the colleges I wanted to go to and they said i can study it at a level if I give them a portfolio of my work so maybe you can do the same- all you have to do is just show them a portfolio
For most colleges you need to do a maths with a science sometimes it'll ask humanities and maths biology and history so your good.

Are you living in England? If you are then there's a lot of options.

I'm going to uni to study architecture and I study A level maths physics engineering and psychology. Most colleges say AAB as yet requirement and maths should be A.
Original post by Walker16
For most colleges you need to do a maths with a science sometimes it'll ask humanities and maths biology and history so your good.

I'm going to uni to study architecture and I study A level maths physics engineering and psychology. Most colleges say AAB as yet requirement and maths should be A.

That's not correct, only two architecture schools in the UK require maths or physics. While many other schools suggest these as part of their preferred subjects, by no means do you need them. (Apart from the fact that OP's thread is asking about A-level art and portfolios, not their current subjects).

I also just noticed your reply to the thread about BA/BArch/BSc architecture degrees and what you said was also false - please don't spread misinformation if you don't really know what you're talking about.
Reply 6
Original post by panicboy2.0
I’m currently doing my GCSES and we were told to pick our A-Levels and I picked maths,history and biology(still not sure if I want to do biology). Anyways at my school I can’t pick a level art as I haven’t done it for gcse and I know a lot of uni want a portfolio for architecture I just don’t know how to. I was thinking courses but I’m not sure if I can afford courses but I really want to do architecture.so could I just not draw at home at it only needs to be a portfolio and not an actual gcses or a level and just keep asking my art teachers how to improve my drawings. Also what type of drawings are universities looking for anything would help really thank you

I know someone studying architecture without an A level in art, but she did product design, maths and physics.

She had a tutor to help her create some pieces of art for a portfolio at home (unis did ask for a portfilio) and went on YouTube to pick up some drawing/illustration tips and also how to put your portfolio together.

She got into a great Russell Group uni and is loving it but, recognizes her drawing skills are no where near as good as those with an art A level, they have more confidence in their ability too.

That’s not true. Hardly any universities require maths/physics. A handful more encourage applicants to choose them if they want to. Applying without a creative subject OR portfolio will restrict choices hugely, applying without maths or physics doesn’t really rule out anywhere (or rather only those choices that someone without maths and physics wouldn’t be happy at anyway).
That's not correct, only two architecture schools in the UK require maths or physics. While many other schools suggest these as part of their preferred subjects, by no means do you need them. (Apart from the fact that OP's thread is asking about A-level art and portfolios, not their current subjects).

I also just noticed your reply to the thread about BA/BArch/BSc architecture degrees and what you said was also false - please don't spread misinformation if you don't really know what you're talking about.

It is most because I searched for them myself, even if they said preferred I'm saying it's still there so as a preferred it's good your taking maths..

And BArch does mean bachelor of architecture and BSc does mean bachelor of science. If not then I'm stating from the internet so go have a go at them..
Original post by PQ
That’s not true. Hardly any universities require maths/physics. A handful more encourage applicants to choose them if they want to. Applying without a creative subject OR portfolio will restrict choices hugely, applying without maths or physics doesn’t really rule out anywhere (or rather only those choices that someone without maths and physics wouldn’t be happy at anyway).

Yes but the person is doing maths and history. It is still possible to get into universities. I even emailed up some of them and they told me it's okay. All of them must be lying then.

In his/her situation you can get into uni with math, history and a science and it says one of 3 pure sciences so biology is okay, history is also good as is has some involvement in architecture. AS HE ALREADY TAKES MATHS I meant it'll be good to take it because he doesn't take art or a DT getting another requirement will be good.
Yes but the person is doing maths and history. It is still possible to get into universities. I even emailed up some of them and they told me it's okay. All of them must be lying then.

In his/her situation you can get into uni with math, history and a science and it says one of 3 pure sciences so biology is okay, history is also good as is has some involvement in architecture. AS HE ALREADY TAKES MATHS I meant it'll be good to take it because he doesn't take art or a DT getting another requirement will be good.

Without art the priority should always be whatever subjects an applicant is likely to get the best grades in while leaving enough free time to produce a portfolio in their free time.

Which universities told you maths was required?
It is most because I searched for them myself, even if they said preferred I'm saying it's still there so as a preferred it's good your taking maths..

And BArch does mean bachelor of architecture and BSc does mean bachelor of science. If not then I'm stating from the internet so go have a go at them..

Your wording made it sound like it's a requirement when it's not (other than in the case of Bath and Strathclyde), which is what I was pointing out.

And I know that that's what the titles stand for, but you said "Depends on which field you want to work in because there's more jobs within architecture", but it's a misconception that the title (BA/BArch/BSc) makes some sort of difference to the course content and career prospects when in fact, in the case of architecture, it is completely irrelevant. If you're choosing which courses to apply to based on this, don't.
Original post by PQ
Which universities told you maths was required?

Afaik the *only* two in the whole country are Bath and Strathclyde, so no other universities should've told them that maths was a *requirement*.
Afaik the *only* two in the whole country are Bath and Strathclyde, so no other universities should've told them that maths was a *requirement*.

Even Bath is just a preference (and good gcse maths/physics grades) plus a recommendation to take an art foundation diploma! http://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2018/architecture/bsc-architecture/#entry-requirements
Original post by PQ
Even Bath is just a preference (and good gcse maths/physics grades) plus a recommendation to take an art foundation diploma! http://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2018/architecture/bsc-architecture/#entry-requirements

I think it's saying that the strong maths/physics GCSE grades are the preference whereas maths/physics 'entry qualifications' (I assume meaning A-levels and equivalent) are actually required, but their wording is a bit hard to interpret :confused:

But yeah it's quite surprising to hear Bath of all places encouraging an art foundation!
I think it's saying that the strong maths/physics GCSE grades are the preference whereas maths/physics 'entry qualifications' (I assume meaning A-levels and equivalent) are actually required, but their wording is a bit hard to interpret :confused:

But yeah it's quite surprising to hear Bath of all places encouraging an art foundation!

It reads like they’re trying to shake off the maths/physics reputation (possibly they’re getting too many applicants who can’t draw!). I might send a mystery shopping email or two and try to get some clarification from them.
Original post by PQ
It reads like they’re trying to shake off the maths/physics reputation (possibly they’re getting too many applicants who can’t draw!). I might send a mystery shopping email or two and try to get some clarification from them.

Good point, perhaps they should start asking for portfolios too :tongue: (it is kind of surprising that such a competitive course doesn't ask for them, especially compared to the likes of UCL and Cambridge which have endlessly thorough admissions processes). Do report back with what you find out!
DT
Original post by TheAlchemistress
DT

OP's school unfortunately doesn't offer it.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ

Wow! This is surprising! Do keep us updated on your email to them! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending