The Student Room Group

Someone please help me here.

So I am 17 years old and I want to get into amateur boxing. My dad is fine with it but my mum doesn't want me doing it as she thinks that it will distract me from education and that it will also make me aggressive and violent. I really want to do Amateur boxing as I love doing this sport and it is the only sport that I enjoy. What can I do?
You could try and see if your dad could persuade your mum to let you do it.

Tell her the benefits of it such as it reduces anxiety and depression as well as gaining confidence through it.
Reply 2
Original post by RetroBeatles1970
You could try and see if your dad could persuade your mum to let you do it.

Tell her the benefits of it such as it reduces anxiety and depression as well as gaining confidence through it.

I tried this and the reason why she thinks it will make me aggressive is because my uncle did boxing and he was an aggressive person and started to have street fights, she is worried that it will make me like him.
Reply 3
Any more suggestions?
Original post by Anonymous
Any more suggestions?

You should go for it. But just know about what could go wrong and help your mom understand how it may help you and how much you want it. I did boxing for 4 years. 16-20 and I loved it and of course my mom was concerned too but there was never a problem about me being unfocused from education or being harmed. But then..my friend also did boxing, the same time as me but much more advanced, and he had his 6th amateur boxing fight and even though he was wearing head gear, a punch to his head paralysed him for 18 months. So stuff like that you need to consider before anything else. It's what made me stop.
Reply 5
Original post by Cxm
You should go for it. But just know about what could go wrong and help your mom understand how it may help you and how much you want it. I did boxing for 4 years. 16-20 and I loved it and of course my mom was concerned too but there was never a problem about me being unfocused from education or being harmed. But then..my friend also did boxing, the same time as me but much more advanced, and he had his 6th amateur boxing fight and even though he was wearing head gear, a punch to his head paralysed him for 18 months. So stuff like that you need to consider before anything else. It's what made me stop.

I want to go for it but I need both of my parents permission said my trainer.
I want to go for it but I need both of my parents permission said my trainer.

How old are you?
Reply 7
Original post by Cxm
How old are you?

Just wait a year, that way your education will be dealt with too, For now just train hard yourself or with friends so that you have a good start when you actually begin boxing. It'll fly by.
Reply 9
Original post by Cxm
Just wait a year, that way your education will be dealt with too, For now just train hard yourself or with friends so that you have a good start when you actually begin boxing. It'll fly by.

I have been boxing for 3 years now though
I tried this and the reason why she thinks it will make me aggressive is because my uncle did boxing and he was an aggressive person and started to have street fights, she is worried that it will make me like him.

It sounds like you mum's got her mind made up.. I'm not sure what I can suggest. Boxing wouldn't make you aggressive, for someone like your uncle he must have been aggressive all along and boxing is being blamed. Boxing can be really go as it can teach you how to defend yourself. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what I can suggest.
The distraction depends on how much time you dedicate to boxing. But the aggressive and violence doesn't come from boxing, it comes from who you are as a person. Some of the greatest martial artists know that it is best to avoid a fight than to try and win one. Convince her yourself, it'll have a lasting impact.
Do a white collar boxing event for charity to begin with. Explain to you mum that it's for a good cause, you will be given proper training and there will be qualified medic on the night and it' only for a few months. It' a good way to convince and show her what it' about and what you want to achieve.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending