The Student Room Group

GCSE an inspector calls paragraph.

Pls mark by paragraph using 9-1 system and also give Improvemt comments. Thanks
How does Priestley make the audience dislike Mr Birling? Write about:
- The characters’ relationships and views
- How Priestley presents them by the ways he writes
Priestley makes the audience dislike Mr Birling by showing the characters lack of intelligence and arrogance. Arthur birling statues at the dinner table that “there isn’t a chance of war”. The audience of 1945 would have already been through 2 wars so know that his statement is totally wrong. The noun “chance” connote possibility showing that Mr Birling believes that there was absolutely no likelihood of war happening. This shows he is very complacent and doesn’t know what he is talking about. Priestley’s use of dramatic irony makes the audience lose trust in the character. Priestley does this to make the audience move away from the character of Mr Birling as his views or incorrect. Alternatively this quote shows that Mr Birling so trying to stay positive and doesn’t want to think about the horrors of war. However this could make the audience dislike the character even more as he shouldn’t be talking about war if he doesn’t want it. Mr birlings lack of intelligence is further shown during his long speech when he describes the titanic as “unsinkable”. The audience already know that it does sink therefore this is another factually incorrect statement made by Mr Birling.
Original post by Rags05
Pls mark by paragraph using 9-1 system and also give Improvemt comments. Thanks
How does Priestley make the audience dislike Mr Birling? Write about:
- The characters’ relationships and views
- How Priestley presents them by the ways he writes
Priestley makes the audience dislike Mr Birling by showing the characters lack of intelligence and arrogance. Arthur birling statues at the dinner table that “there isn’t a chance of war”. The audience of 1945 would have already been through 2 wars so know that his statement is totally wrong. The noun “chance” connote possibility showing that Mr Birling believes that there was absolutely no likelihood of war happening. This shows he is very complacent and doesn’t know what he is talking about. Priestley’s use of dramatic irony makes the audience lose trust in the character. Priestley does this to make the audience move away from the character of Mr Birling as his views or incorrect. Alternatively this quote shows that Mr Birling so trying to stay positive and doesn’t want to think about the horrors of war. However this could make the audience dislike the character even more as he shouldn’t be talking about war if he doesn’t want it. Mr birlings lack of intelligence is further shown during his long speech when he describes the titanic as “unsinkable”. The audience already know that it does sink therefore this is another factually incorrect statement made by Mr Birling.
Moved to the English study help forum :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
Moved to the English study help forum :smile:

Thanks for moving it to the study room. It would be really helpful if u could do that for all my posts thanks. Could u put a feedback on this paragraph pls
Why don't you mark it yourself? There must be a mark scheme somewhere on the internet. No one's going to do it for you.

It's well written and structured. Maybe work ondeveloping points a bit more
Original post by Rags05
Thanks for moving it to the study room. It would be really helpful if u could do that for all my posts thanks. Could u put a feedback on this paragraph pls

No worries :smile: I'll have a look at moving all your posts later when I'm not on my phone then another time you can post them directly to the relevant forum, which you can find from the list here: Study Help Forums :smile:
Unfortunately I'm completely unfamiliar with an inspector calls so I'm not gonna be able to offer helpful feedback on this paragraph :bawling:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lemur14
No worries :smile: I'll have a look at moving all your posts later when I'm not on my phone then another time you can post them directly to the relevant forum, which you can find from the list here: Study Help Forums :smile:
Unfortunately I'm completely unfamiliar with an inspector calls so I'm not gonna be able to offer helpful feedback on this paragraph :bawling:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. It doesn’t really matter that your not familiar with AIC could u Still mark it because I feel that your marking benefits me the most.
Original post by Rags05
Thanks. It doesn’t really matter that your not familiar with AIC could u Still mark it because I feel that your marking benefits me the most.

I don't really feel able to give valuable feedback when I don't even know the plot, sorry! Thanks for the compliment though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
I don't really feel able to give valuable feedback when I don't even know the plot, sorry! Thanks for the compliment though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like no one is answering though 😬
Reply 8
Okay here’s some feedback ( I got 93% in my language paper 2 GCSE for 9-1). Your answer would be about grade 6-7.5 but idk

First: ‘characters lack’ here, you’re being inconsistent with the question as it asks you about mr birling, not the other characters. By doing less of this, you build a coherent, sustained and consistent argument that shows you can understand the question.

You can demonstrate this further by: when you introduced your first quote, explain its relevant connotation to the question, then go into context, with reference to the question. The whole point of these answers is to build logical and sustained arguments that show you can think on a higher level to answer questions (schools won’t teach you this)

Last, use commas after your starters like alternatively

Good work, literally just be consistent asf throughout and your all g
Reply 9
Original post by timif2
Okay here’s some feedback ( I got 93% in my language paper 2 GCSE for 9-1). Your answer would be about grade 6-7.5 but idk

First: ‘characters lack’ here, you’re being inconsistent with the question as it asks you about mr birling, not the other characters. By doing less of this, you build a coherent, sustained and consistent argument that shows you can understand the question.

You can demonstrate this further by: when you introduced your first quote, explain its relevant connotation to the question, then go into context, with reference to the question. The whole point of these answers is to build logical and sustained arguments that show you can think on a higher level to answer questions (schools won’t teach you this)

Last, use commas after your starters like alternatively

Good work, literally just be consistent asf throughout and your all g

Thanks. I will be uploading these frequently and I think I would benefit a lot from your feedback so pls follow me so u can reply to my future posts. Tomorrow I will be doing a lanaguage question so make sure u reply thanks
Original post by Rags05
Looks like no one is answering though 😬

You spoke too soon there :lol: Sometimes you just have to be patient, and sometimes threads won't get the replies you want. Just happens unfortunately!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending