The Student Room Group

I’m stuck on this question. I’ve got a test tomorrow. Need ideas

I have a test tomorrow for English Language.
The question is ‘Evaluate the idea that a person is never fully in control of their language use’.

What could I write? Any ideas/examples? I’m really stuck.

Could you write about miscommunication or language and gender or language and age.
Maybe talk about people saying things instinctively, eg swearing if they hit their foot since they’re not in control of saying it
Reply 2
Original post by rubyledger
Maybe talk about people saying things instinctively, eg swearing if they hit their foot since they’re not in control of saying it

Do you know any linguistic research that supports this
Perhaps you could talk about how our control could be influenced by those around us. Say that you go to a school where everyone swears like it’s their mother tongue, then it would be more likely for you to catch on and arguably have no control over your language use.
Original post by amy045
Do you know any linguistic research that supports this

I don’t I’m afraid, sorry. They might be some stuff on google if you research it
Reply 5
Original post by _Nay.Nay_
Perhaps you could talk about how our control could be influenced by those around us. Say that you go to a school where everyone swears like it’s their mother tongue, then it would be more likely for you to catch on and arguably have no control over your language use.

Thanks. Do you know what I could write for A03
Reply 6
Original post by rubyledger
I don’t I’m afraid, sorry. They might be some stuff on google if you research it

Do you think I could talk about gender like men wouldn’t think before they speak and women do think before they speak and are considerate of other people’s feelings and etc
https://www.english.com/blog/english-language-has-changed

I found this website which I think might be exactly what you’re looking for in terms of the development of our language. Hope this helps 😁
Original post by amy045
Do you think I could talk about gender like men wouldn’t think before they speak and women do think before they speak and are considerate of other people’s feelings and etc

You could possibly talk about that but it could be seen as stereotyping and assuming all women are considerate rather than based on specific evidence

Quick Reply

Latest