The Student Room Group

I'm going to approach this girl tomorrow at the bus stop, need some opinions/options.

So as the title says, I'm planning on approaching this girl tomorrow after we get off the bus. I have never spoke to her and don't even know her name, Although I'm almost certain she goes to college. Its honestly the best part of my day the 5pm bus, I think about her so much... I was going to go up and talk to her today but the nerves got the best of me and i backed down, I regret it a lot... I think we have both shown that we have an interest in each other as i always catch her looking at me and i the other way around. For tomorrow i have a couple lines that could work, but would love some advice from people that have actually gone and approached someone they found attractive, whether they pulled it off or not i don't care. Also we are both on the same scale in terms of attractiveness, So its not a big shot. I hope.
I'll keep this updated if anything happens.

UPDATE 1: She wasn't on the bus.

UPDATE 2: The day after, i ****ing did it. I used Judge Jules advice on approaching her as she did look familiar and it turns out we did go to the same junior school, unfortunately though she seemed eager to go home and by that i mean slight movements to the road she takes which i don't. I might have misinterpreted it but i wasn't sure and was fairly nervous so i left it at that without giving my number or anything, I guess we'll see if she picks it back up next week if not i'll get over it. BUT thank you to everyone that left comments i really appreciate it, it really did help and its a big weight off my shoulders having done this whether it was successful or not so im grateful for that, ill update what happens next week.

UPDATE 3:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In before deep voice, realises its a transexual.
If a random guy approached me at a bus stop I would honestly be creeped out. Looking at you doesn't mean she's interested in you. I look at people on the bus just out of human curiosity - and even more so if I notice I've seen them before.
just show her your avatar and she'll fall for you
Original post by cykam812
So as the title says, I'm planning on approaching this girl tomorrow after we get off the bus. I have never spoke to her and don't even know her name, Although I'm almost certain she goes to college. Its honestly the best part of my day the 5pm bus, I think about her so much... I was going to go up and talk to her today but the nerves got the best of me and i backed down, I regret it a lot... I think we have both shown that we have an interest in each other as i always catch her looking at me and i the other way around. For tomorrow i have a couple lines that could work, but would love some advice from people that have actually gone and approached someone they found attractive, whether they pulled it off or not i don't care. Also we are both on the same scale in terms of attractiveness, So its not a big shot. I hope.

I'll keep this updated if anything happens.

Just be natural about it man, don't try and pull off some pre planned pick up line, just say hello and say you've seen her on the bus a few times and ask her if she goes to the same college as you. If you say yes then the conversation should flow naturally and just chat about what course you're both doing or whatever.

If she says no then just smile and say something like "ah too bad" (which is a compliment) and try to chat to her the next time you see her if it's a daily thing and just say "I'd like to chat to you more, can I have your snapchat."

Just be natural about it otherwise it will just come across as forced and rehearsed. Nobody knows how these first conversations will go so just see what happens.
just do It I was going to do the same with a girl but in a different environment, but I let nerves get the better of me twice then I witnessed some else talk to her with a similar approach to the one I had and now they are together... the most soul crushing thing. do it and don't let time get the better of you because its the only thing in this world we cannot control.
Shame you can't catch her whilst she's waiting for the bus.

Otherwise you could walk up to her and say "Hey, there's this cool looking interesting girl that I've seen. And I'd like to go up to her and start a conversation. Any tips on what I should say?" Then walk around the corner and straight back to her and tell her whatever she told you to say, with a half smile on your face.
Reply 7
Thanks for the comments guys, although some of them have kinda put me off doing this now lol.

Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Shame you can't catch her whilst she's waiting for the bus.

Otherwise you could walk up to her and say "Hey, there's this cool looking interesting girl that I've seen. And I'd like to go up to her and start a conversation. Any tips on what I should say?" Then walk around the corner and straight back to her and tell her whatever she told you to say, with a half smile on your face.

That's the thing, I can easily catch her while shes waiting for the bus as we both wait at the same place for it to arrive, but there is usually a lot of people around and i don't want to make a fool of myself with an audience watching, But i guess it is more creepy doing it after we get off the bus and walk home. Surprisingly that line is very similar to a line i was going to use as i heard good things about people using it. "Quick question, If you found someone attractive at *PLACE*, how would you approach them?" and then like you said walk around the corner and use whatever she said.
I would agree with Ninja Squirrel -

I don't think I'd find it creepy if someone approached me from the bus, but I might if you made it out to be clearly a pick up line. Personally, it would make me more comfortable speaking to a stranger when they seemed friendly and genuine, such as asking if I went to the same college and trying to get to know me, rather than being super forward right from the beginning. Then you can see where the conversation goes and get a bit more flirty.
Important things are:
Be yourself
Don’t be too romantic but just a tiny bit
Be confident but not too confident
That’s it you really like her it would be easy to talk with her but after to make the first step!!
You got it!! You really have to tell us what happen!!
Reply 10
Original post by DrawTheLine
If a random guy approached me at a bus stop I would honestly be creeped out. Looking at you doesn't mean she's interested in you. I look at people on the bus just out of human curiosity - and even more so if I notice I've seen them before.

true, ..however perhaps he thought he saw a hint of attraction in her face.

In that case it might be worth an approach.

@OP

I would suggest an indirect compliment and a question eg:" ..hi, i need to get an [insert female item of clothing here] for a cousin and as you always look really nice when i see you here i wondered if you could suggest something....." ..and then have a chat, and try to branch out slightly into other things after but don't seem too thirsty or try hard..

then the next day talk to her again and drop in another back handed compliment "hi again, have you been waiting long for the bus?. you're looking nice today?"

keep doing stuff like that everyday till you can figure out if she likes you or not, if she likes you she will likely get a bit flirtacous after the compliments, if she don't like you she'll probably start to look uncomfortable or withdraw somewhat/give short answers...

I've approached random girls in public before and tbh it's better go a bit indirect rather than just blurt out you like them......
^ I wouldn't suggest making up a scenario, to me that seems a bit strange, perhaps because it's so planned and seems a bit 'strategic'.

You want to get to know her long-term, you might as well start by asking something simple like "do you go to the same college as me? What do you study? How come we've never met?" Be genuine, don't make things up, say hi and chat like you would to anyone else, and then if it goes well begin to give her compliments or ask her to meet up another time.
Reply 12
Thanks again for the comments guys, I really appreciate the advice. I do want to go an indirect route and say something like what you’re all suggesting, however been the awkward me i think I would rather be upfront with a line and get rejected straight away rather than stretching it on. But I’m going to give it some more thought because I do like what you’re all saying and it does sound better doing than the way I’m going to go in the long run.
Reply 13
Although, she looks awfully familiar and I think we both went to the same junior school, we both live pretty much right next to it. So it might be best just been genuine and asking and then lightly branch off like suggested.
Thanks for the comments guys, although some of them have kinda put me off doing this now lol.

That's the thing, I can easily catch her while shes waiting for the bus as we both wait at the same place for it to arrive, but there is usually a lot of people around and i don't want to make a fool of myself with an audience watching, But i guess it is more creepy doing it after we get off the bus and walk home. Surprisingly that line is very similar to a line i was going to use as i heard good things about people using it. "Quick question, If you found someone attractive at *PLACE*, how would you approach them?" and then like you said walk around the corner and use whatever she said.

Lol to the comments have put you off.
Just introduce yourself, say you look familiar, do you live around here or ask if she went to the same school as you and ask her on a date Or even better still just sit next to her on the bus and chat even if people are listening and if your too embarrassed in front of other people then wait til she gets off to ask or ask for her number before she gets on the bus.
If she doesn't want to give her number just give her yours as that's better than nothing.
Even if you think she won't ring back at least you know you tried.
Men have asked me all those things at a bus stop and on the street. Men are always telling me they think they knew me from school but I'm not sure if their lying or if they did really know me but it's a good way to break the ice and you instantly have something in common with them that way and They feel more relaxed talking to you.

Men have asked me out at bus stops, while I'm sitting on the bus, while I'm walking down the street, in supermarkets, etc.
Sometimes they pretend they can't find a particular area, shop or bank and afterwards ask me for directions then they ask me on a date/ my number. I prefer it when their upfront straight after asking directions as I don't like it when they beat around the bush or use cheesy chat up lines or if they just come up to me for a chat then say bye without asking me out or saying what they really wanted that is annoying as hell.

Anyway can you just hurry up and ask her out already so you can get it out of the way then you'll stop worrying about it. Then give an update afterwards because If it works for you maybe this will spur others on to try it too as some boys are too scared to approach and are waiting for girls to come to them and ask them out.
Reply 15
Original post by Judge Jules
Lol to the comments have put you off.
Just introduce yourself, say you look familiar, do you live around here or ask if she went to the same school as you and ask her on a date Or even better still just sit next to her on the bus and chat even if people are listening and if your too embarrassed in front of other people then wait til she gets off to ask or ask for her number before she gets on the bus.
If she doesn't want to give her number just give her yours as that's better than nothing.
Even if you think she won't ring back at least you know you tried.
Men have asked me all those things at a bus stop and on the street. Men are always telling me they think they knew me from school but I'm not sure if their lying or if they did really know me but it's a good way to break the ice and you instantly have something in common with them that way and They feel more relaxed talking to you.

Men have asked me out at bus stops, while I'm sitting on the bus, while I'm walking down the street, in supermarkets, etc.
Sometimes they pretend they can't find a particular area, shop or bank and afterwards ask me for directions then they ask me on a date/ my number. I prefer it when their upfront straight after asking directions as I don't like it when they beat around the bush or use cheesy chat up lines or if they just come up to me for a chat then say bye without asking me out or saying what they really wanted that is annoying as hell.

Anyway can you just hurry up and ask her out already so you can get it out of the way then you'll stop worrying about it. Then give an update afterwards because If it works for you maybe this will spur others on to try it too as some boys are too scared to approach and are waiting for girls to come to them and ask them out.

Is it a wise to shake hands when introducing?
Is it a wise to shake hands when introducing?

No, it’s not a job interview or a business meeting.
Reply 17
Original post by cat_mac
No, it’s not a job interview or a business meeting.

If going direct and she seems receptive then after a short time I would recommend going "i'm xxx, nice to meet you btw....." and extend hand

it kinda makes you seem like less of a randomer [the guy]
and you can usually feel the girl getting a bit more comfortable with you.

chatting up a girl in the middle of the day on the street/bus stop ain't so socially acceptable. Anything you can do as a guy to make the interaction seem more socially inline [such as introduced yourself properly] helps.

If going indirect i'd wait at least 5 minutes before doing that though........
Original post by ANM775
If going direct and she seems receptive then after a short time I would recommend going "i'm xxx, nice to meet you btw....." and extend hand

it kinda makes you seem like less of a randomer [the guy]
and you can usually feel the girl getting a bit more comfortable with you.

chatting up a girl in the middle of the day on the street/bus stop ain't so socially acceptable. Anything you can do as a guy to make the interaction seem more socially inline [such as introduced yourself properly] helps.

If going indirect i'd wait at least 5 minutes before doing that though........

I’m assuming these are school kids though? As a yout handshaking is waaay too formal for meeting people your age imo.

Honestly i’d avoid the bus chat up anyway, when i’m on the bus I just want to be left alone so have a fixed stare out the window and make sure my earphones are visible :rofl:
Do it! The worst thing she will say is no and it will be a great learning experience. Confidence is so attractive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending