The Student Room Group

Advice on firming unis..

Staying closer to home but high entry requirements... or staying further from home (3hrs+) but lower entry requirements...

What would you choose and why?

If you have personal experiences, please share if you want to.
Original post by MKaur18
Staying closer to home but high entry requirements... or staying further from home (3hrs+) but lower entry requirements...

Well, I certainly wouldn't be able to pick a university with the somewhat meagre amount of information you've given here.

I'd pick the one with the course content that best matches my interest and one that's located in a city/town I'd actually want to live in.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Well, I certainly wouldn't be able to pick a university with the somewhat meagre amount of information you've given here.

I'd pick the one with the course content that best matches my interest and one that's located in a city/town I'd actually want to live in.

Both course content is the same. It’s the same course.. but one has more academic requirements because of it’s ranking in other similar subjects etc.. the towns are good.. but it’s so far from home if i choose the lower entry requirements uni...

If I give away the unis names, people will be more biased and say choose this XXX uni.
Original post by MKaur18
Both course content is the same. It’s the same course.. but one has more academic requirements because of it’s ranking in other similar subjects etc.. the towns are good.. but it’s so far from home if i choose the lower entry requirements uni...

If I give away the unis names, people will be more biased and say choose this XXX uni.

What course is it? (as normally the content is different if if module titles are the same and even if it is similar (like say medicine) the teaching styles can be different)

What are your aspirations career wise? (basically is working in finance a option you would/want to consider as if yes then going to a RG will make your life a lot easier, this applies only to finance and not to other sectors for the most part)

Price of accommodation and living in each place?
are they different types of uni, ie campus or city style if so which do you want to be on
Reply 4
Original post by madmadmax321
What course is it? (as normally the content is different if if module titles are the same and even if it is similar (like say medicine) the teaching styles can be different)

What are your aspirations career wise? (basically is working in finance a option you would/want to consider as if yes then going to a RG will make your life a lot easier, this applies only to finance and not to other sectors for the most part)

Price of accommodation and living in each place?
are they different types of uni, ie campus or city style if so which do you want to be on

It’s dental therapy. It’s a rare course, but one that I want to do. I could only apply to about 7 with the grades I have.

Yes some unis are more placement based, some are 50:50, and some are more academic. But I still graduate with the same degree at the end of the 3 years.

Accomodation isn’t much of a problem, and it being a campus or city uni. Cos i’ll be in the same building as my course is specific.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MKaur18

Pick your favourite. The one where you think you will thrive and reach your potential and be happy for 3+ years.
Original post by MKaur18
It’s dental therapy. Only about 12 unis do the course. I could only apply to about 7 with the grades I have.

Yes some unis are more placement based, some are 50:50, and some are more academic. But I still graduate with the same degree at the end of the 3 years.

Accomodation isn’t much of a problem, and it being a campus or city uni. Cos i’ll be in the same building as my course is specific.

Yes you graduate with the same degree but which style do you think you would prefer? as you have a choice, choosing one that you think you will prefer more would make your uni life more enjoyable as the different styles have different advantages and disadvantages which impact you academic and social life in different ways

(this next bit will be dependant on the specific uni) Yes you will have some of your study time in that academic building but not always, you may study in a different place, have lectures in a different place (not all departments at all unis have lectures in their academic building, a lot have them in lecture theatres across the uni campus/buildings) and for some courses at some unis you spend little time in the academic building of your parent school, it depends on the set up of the department you at in
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Pick your favourite. The one where you think you will thrive and reach your potential and be happy for 3+ years.

My favourite has really high requirements, after my AS’ I am a bit worried on whether I can achieve the grades.
Original post by MKaur18
My favourite has really high requirements, after my AS’ I am a bit worried on whether I can achieve the grades.

And have you spoken to him about what happens and what they take into account if you miss your offer conditions ?

High conditions are fine - that’s why you can also pick an insurance you would also be happy with (that preferably guarantee accommodation for insurance applicants).
Reply 9
Yes you graduate with the same degree but which style do you think you would prefer? as you have a choice, choosing one that you think you will prefer more would make your uni life more enjoyable as the different styles have different advantages and disadvantages which impact you academic and social life in different ways

(this next bit will be dependant on the specific uni) Yes you will have some of your study time in that academic building but not always, you may study in a different place, have lectures in a different place (not all departments at all unis have lectures in their academic building, a lot have them in lecture theatres across the uni campus/buildings) and for some courses at some unis you spend little time in the academic building of your parent school, it depends on the set up of the department you at in

Most of my unis are campus based. I have a choice, but it’s so risky..
Original post by MKaur18
Most of my unis are campus based. I have a choice, but it’s so risky..

Most things in life are risky, but in this case that is why there is a firm and insurance on ucas, pick the one you really want to go to as a firm (assuming that you think its possible for you to get those grades) then the one with the lower entry grades that you are fairly sure you will get regardless as your insurance
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Most things in life are risky, but in this case that is why there is a firm and insurance on ucas, pick the one you really want to go to as a firm (assuming that you think its possible for you to get those grades) then the one with the lower entry grades that you are fairly sure you will get regardless as your insurance

My high requirement is probs gonna be my firm then, and safe option will probs go as the insurance. I just hope it’s wise.. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending