The Student Room Group

Film Production or Film Studies Joint Honours?

For someone who doesn't know what career they want, do you think it would be better to broaden options with a film studies joint honours (namingly Film and Philosophy) or get practical experience with different roles through film production?

The idea behind this is that studying Philosophy with Film Studies could shape me differently and maybe even make me a more distinguished story teller. Also, I know I'm 99% sure I want to work somewhere in the creative industry, but not 100% if I see myself just in video production, so it broadens my prospects I guess?

However then would that be worth missing out on practical experience if I did stick with film? I guess I'm questioning how open my career options would be if I just went the film production route.

I'd love people's opinions and advice.
Original post by Wulfalwyn
For someone who doesn't know what career they want, do you think it would be better to broaden options with a film studies joint honours (namingly Film and Philosophy) or get practical experience with different roles through film production?

The idea behind this is that studying Philosophy with Film Studies could shape me differently and maybe even make me a more distinguished story teller. Also, I know I'm 99% sure I want to work somewhere in the creative industry, but not 100% if I see myself just in video production, so it broadens my prospects I guess?

However then would that be worth missing out on practical experience if I did stick with film? I guess I'm questioning how open my career options would be if I just went the film production route.

I'd love people's opinions and advice.

It is your £50k, but i would rather lean things that would get me a job.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It is your £50k, but i would rather lean things that would get me a job.

That's reasonable haha. The particular courses I'm seeing have similar employment stats so I guess it's down to my preference. Now I've just got to figure out what those are.. 😂
Original post by Wulfalwyn
That's reasonable haha. The particular courses I'm seeing have similar employment stats so I guess it's down to my preference. Now I've just got to figure out what those are.. 😂

If you’re not 100% sure if you want to take a practical degree then take a year and do a lens/media based foundation diploma with a local college/university.

You can try out practical filmmaking at degree level (by the end of a foundation diploma you’ll be working at first year standard), if it’s right for you then you’ll have built a much better showreel for applying to practical degrees and if not then you can still go back to more academic studies.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If you’re not 100% sure if you want to take a practical degree then take a year and do a lens/media based foundation diploma with a local college/university.

You can try out practical filmmaking at degree level (by the end of a foundation diploma you’ll be working at first year standard), if it’s right for you then you’ll have built a much better showreel for applying to practical degrees and if not then you can still go back to more academic studies.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be honest I don't really fancy the idea of spending a year getting a foundation because it would be an extra year of costs. 😆 I do film studies for a level so next year when we make a film I'll get a taste to compare with my experience with theory. I'll keep your advice in mind though and consider a workshop or short course or something if I'm still not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending