The Student Room Group

how possible is it to get kicked out from a Master's degree

I study in University of Manchester, and I am doing a research course. My professor told me off for not taking enough innitiative but I don't like the subject of my Master's enough and that is why I strangle to work autonomously. I don;t want to drop out because I am already half way in. Do you thing it is possible to get kicked out my Master Degree? Do you know anyone that have ever been kicked out of a one year Master Degree??
Reply 1
Seen it happen before, yes. Once for plagiarism and once because of insufficient progress.
Reply 2
I am doomed! I guess I am the second case! Am I going to get some e-mail "warnings" or he could just kick me out any time?
Reply 3
Original post by Kikicass
I am doomed! I guess I am the second case! Am I going to get some e-mail "warnings" or he could just kick me out any time?

You're not necessarily doomed!

There is a procedure to follow in all these cases, so it won't catch you by surprise.
Reply 4
Thank you man!
If you dont like the subject, then why are you paying thousands to do it?
Lack if initiative sounds like laziness.

Unlikely they will kick you off, but if you get on the wrong side you could end up with poor marks or fails and then you could end up with a lesser qualification as they take all your money.
If it's just a year, I don't think you'll get kicked out.

But that's because they can simply fail you. Less hassle for them if anything, and yes, it's totally possible for people to fail a master's degree.
Original post by 999tigger

Unlikely they will kick you off, but if you get on the wrong side you could end up with poor marks or fails and then you could end up with a lesser qualification as they take all your money.

If one fails, one doesn't get any qualifications, not just a lesser one.
Reply 8

I prefer to pay 4k to get a degree than say good bye now while I have already paied 2k and lose that money without getting anything in return.
You are right to call me lazy, but the issue is that I 've gone from an agriculture degree to an agriculture Bussiness Master. I just don't find it as interesting.... My attendance is 100% but I lack of interest and it shows, especially on my thesis preparation.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
If one fails, one doesn't get any qualifications, not just a lesser one.

I was thinking of them getting lower marks or failing a module where they refuse to let them proceed..

Just realised its a research masters....
I was thinking of them getting lower marks or failing a module where they refuse to let them proceed..

Just realised its a research masters....

Whether it's a research or a taught master's, if there's a dissertation, I'm pretty sure one will need to pass it for the whole degree to be granted.
Original post by Kikicass
I prefer to pay 4k to get a degree than say good bye now while I have already paied 2k and lose that money without getting anything in return.
You are right to call me lazy, but the issue is that I 've gone from an agriculture degree to an agriculture Bussiness Master. I just don't find it as interesting.... My attendance is 100% but I lack of interest and it shows, especially on my thesis preparation.

As per my post below research v taught.

Its really up to you knuckle down or be at risk.

If you arent making an effort then they will be even less inclined to keep you. Your degree and your risk. You dont sound bothered anyway.
As per my post below research v taught.

Its really up to you knuckle down or be at risk.

If you arent making an effort then they will be even less inclined to keep you. Your degree and your risk. You dont sound bothered anyway.

I think it's highly unlikely that they will "kick him out" for this.

It's already February. The deadline can't be later than August. If they actively kick him out, they will have to go through the procedures and let him appeal with some hearings etc.

If after the deadline he isn't able to produce anything, or it's incomplete or just really bad, they can fail him. The appeal process is not as time-consuming as you can't appeal against an academic decision.
No skin off their bananas to have an incompetent student complete a master's. In fact, they will be paid at the end of the day.

Possible, yes. Likely, no.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest