The Student Room Group

Do you believe in curses and witchcraft?

Do you believe in it?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No? Lol.
Reply 2
Nonsense, though both my great Grandmother and my Nan were big into curses, luck charms, effigy dolls and all that stuff. This despite being massively religious Catholics, ha. Must be that peculiarly Irish brand of Christianity, eh :laugh:
Yes. I believe His Holiness The Pope has magical powers as the direct representative of God the Almighty.

I also believe in the saints before us performing miracles.
Reply 4
Drummond might pop up with some pearls of wisdom.
If The Holy Father doesn't have any magical powers, in what way is He "holy"?

If the Supreme Pontiff and the saints isn't/weren't gifted with witchcraft, how did any of them perform miracles?

To be made a saint, one needs to perform 3 verified miracles.
There's His Holiness The Dalai Lama, too. If witchcraft isn't real, how could reincarnation be real?
Reply 7
Original post by Little Toy Gun
There's His Holiness The Dalai Lama, too. If witchcraft isn't real, how could reincarnation be real?

Traditionally it's not - that's a Western imposition adopted for the usual cynical reasons.

Witchraft =/= transmigration, and transmigration =/=reincarnation. very few Buddhists believe in reincarnation because it presupposes an enduring 'me' or 'I'. Most (not all) believe in transmigration, which presupposes mindstreams without an enduring self.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Traditionally it's not - that's a Western imposition adopted for the usual cynical reasons.

Witchraft =/= transmigration, and transmigration =/=reincarnation. very few Buddhists believe in reincarnation because it presupposes an enduring 'me' or 'I'. Most (not all) believe in transmigration, which presupposes mindstreams without an enduring self.

Ahh so now we know that's a fake religion!
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) flew to the sky instead of dying, right? If that's not magic, what is?
Reply 10
Ahh so now we know that's a fake religion!

Haha, sort of (in my view). I enjoy Tibetan Buddhism for its richness of culture, but it is indeed far removed from its Indian ancestor. It has lots and lots of Bon and other shamanic, superstitious, essentialist influence. It is irreconcilable with the Indian stuff.
Original post by gjd800
Haha, sort of (in my view). I enjoy Tibetan Buddhism for its richness of culture, but it is indeed far removed from its Indian ancestor. It has lots and lots of Bon and other shamanic, superstitious, essentialist influence. It is irreconcilable with the Indian stuff.

But Indians don't follow it so it's probably just a cult.
Reply 12
But Indians don't follow it so it's probably just a cult.

Some do. Cult/sect/whatever - the differences are often minute.
They get a planet when they die and their leader speaks directly to God so I think it's real magical
Reply 14
One of my mates is a Mormon and he listens to Satanic metal acts, I am not sure how he reconciles it! :laugh:

Good lad, though. Can't even have a can of coke in case the caffeine alters his mind-state.
Reply 15
He used to be a full-on goth, all the family were cool with it and his Dad even used the church minibus to take us/pick us all up from gigs. He liked Abba as well, so maybe that's the part they clung to :laugh:

Ey, they always look well turned out as well the Mormons. Couldn't tell you the last time they stopped me but I look like I'd carve them up and eat them I suppose, so maybe that's why!
Original post by gjd800
Some do. Cult/sect/whatever - the differences are often minute.

Cults and sects are fake, no magical powers.

Religions are real and magical.
Reply 17
Cults and sects are fake, no magical powers.

Religions are real and magical.

Which sect of Christianity constitutes the True Religion?
Original post by gjd800
One of my mates is a Mormon and he listens to Satanic metal acts, I am not sure how he reconciles it! :laugh:

Good lad, though. Can't even have a can of coke in case the caffeine alters his mind-state.

Only Christians believe in Satan so what is there to reconcile?
Reply 19
Only Christians believe in Satan so what is there to reconcile?

Haha, no true Scotsman etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest