The Student Room Group

[SPORT RELIEF GOLDEN THREAD] How to get started at the gym?

The gym can seem an intimating place. It can feel like the moment you first step into a gym, all eyes are on you. What does that pully thing do? Am I lifting these weights right? How do I work this leg thingy?

But in reality, it's not as scary as you think. My key tips are:

Remember everyone is focused on their work out, not looking at you.

Start off by going at off peak times (as a student your schedule can be flexible).

Not everyone trains like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

What are your tips for starting at the gym? Or what makes your nervous / intimated about starting the gym?

Check out the other GOLDEN THREADS here >>

Scroll to see replies

For people who are always conscious that they're being watched, my tip is to go with someone else; that way you can receive encouragement if you need it, and it's a great time to catch up with a friend! Plus, if that friend is already a gym bunny, they can give you tips about how to use the machines properly, and increases the variety of workouts you can do (i.e. those designed for two people, rather than one)
Original post by Danny Dorito
What are your tips for starting at the gym? Or what makes your nervous / intimated about starting the gym?

For anyone nervous about getting started at the gym, I'd recommend attending a group exercise class at your gym first! Sometimes these are on the gym floor, so you'll get used to working out around other people and realise that everyone's focused on themselves, rather than what anyone else is doing :smile:

Also, girls can always go to the 'woman only' area (if your gym offers this), as they're usually more secluded and allow you to get confident with your form before you hit the big weights :dumbells:
Reply 3
Step 1. Purchase gym membership
Step 2. Go to the gym
Step 3. Don't forget leg day
Am most likely going to have to join. My doctor and nurse have been nagging my ear off about it for like 6 months and i cant deal with it and the objectifying way they talk about me anymore. 'it will help you ovaries and depression cavy' that may be so but i can still think of nothing worse to be doing from a social anxiety perspective.
I have no aversion to exercise, i walk a lot and like walking through the forests and stuff and my parent has never had a car either so im used to hoofing about with rucksacks and shopping and stuff. The main thing that made me not want to go was money and just the fact that everyone is going to be little twigs and into this smoothie green veg life or whatever. Not that there is anything wrong with that it's just not me and it's intimidating.
Oh well, will get them off my back so is worth it i guess.
Things I'd recommend:

-Go with someone for the first couple of weeks. I was dragged into the gym by 2 other friends who'd go every saturday (I hated it for the first weeks because of the pain).
Fast forward a month later, I was going 4 days a week without them because I was actually into it.

-Don't worry about other people's thoughts on you. In Year 8 and 9 I was very skinny but not anorexic, so since Year 10 I was put on a strict program to improve my health. When I first went to the gym, I was very self conscious about what others would think of me, which added to me hating the gym (check above). NOBODY gives a flying damn about you tbh and nobody is going to judge you based on your starting point. I have full respect for those people who have come to the gym who are slightly on the overweight/underweight side as it takes guts to do so and I respect that.

-I'm going to go against OP's words of advice and say Don't go at peak times. I've never gone at Peak times and I'm quite happy as well. Off-peak gives you access to equipment without waiting, there's less "Hardcore" lifters and less people (Helpful if you're slightly anxious).

-Be Humble. As a beginner, you're liable to making mistakes with your form etc and if someone offers you some pointers, PLEASE show how grateful you are. There's been instances where a form correction has saved someone from serious injury and don't you think it would be nice if someone would look out for you? If you have more courage, Ask someone to check your form and correct where necessary.

-This tip is more aimed at the males, but applicable to everyone. Leave your ego at home.
Nobody cares "how much you lift", if you're doing it with a **** form. Work on consistency and form and the weights will go up with time.

-This tip is also more aimed at males, but still applicable to everyone. Don't just do Arm isolation exercises.
There's a very high possibility your body won't be used to heavy weight, so immediately isolating the arms won't do you any good (not in the beginning anyway).
Work on the main compound exercises:
Deadlift
BenchPress
Squatting
I'd recommend you do these for 1-3 months. They are called compound exercises as they target multiple muscle groups at once and will add serious muscle mass to your body, making you stronger as a whole.

-Don't expect huge gains after the first session. Whether you're tryna get that booteh or thicker arms/legs/chest. It's not going to happen overnight. Don't track progress in weeks, but in months.

-Keep Hydrated! Don't wanna pass out.

-Don't spend your entire time on the phone.

-DO NOT BICEP CURL IN THE SQUATTING RACK.

-Have fun! The gym shouldn't be a chore, but something you enjoy doing. Take Earphones to listen to music, make notes on the lifts you've done.
Original post by UWS
Step 3. Don't forget leg day
Come again?:curious:
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Come again?:curious:

Unless you want to end up with chicken legs, do not skip leg day.

The gym can seem an intimating place. It can feel like the moment you first step into a gym, all eyes are on you. What does that pully thing do? Am I lifting these weights right? How do I work this leg thingy?

Start off by going at off peak times (as a student your schedule can be flexible).

Going with a friend helps with my motivation so much. By myself, I'll wander around and use a couple of the machines, but with a friend we can decide on a routine together, push each other to keep going, and even if we do look silly at least we'll be there laughing at ourselves together.

When I'm by myself, I always put in my earphones and ignore everyone around me. I use the weight machines since I'm new and I don't want to get the form wrong when doing free weights and hurt myself!

But I also find that classes are so helpful because you can get instruction from a trainer, figure out some new moves to do in your own time, and you're in a group of people doing exactly the same thing.
Atm I have nobody who already does it to go with and have no real interest in going alone and just being confused about what half the thingies even do. It's something I might pick up when I'm back home over the summer, 'cause I've got a mate who does the whole gym thing occasionally and I may as well see what the deal is.
gyms nah mah boi that ain't got sh*t on walking up and down the stairs to get snacks while maintaining a tensed arm when writing to memorise. Ya'll on my level or nah.
These tips seem to be pretty good, I've been intending on trying it out but have continuously avoided it for the main reasons stated in the opening post. After reading this, I should get around to trying it out sooner! (hopefully)
If you feel unmotivated, just make the effort to put on the gear, go to the gym. You don't have to do anything, but the theory is the biggest hurdle is leaving the house so once you're there it's not much more of a step to actually work out.

Try getting a free gym pass and see if it works for you :smile:
To add to the above, while not free, if you are overweight and approach your GP they can give you a 'gym prescription' where your sessions are heavily subsidised.
just go it
Original post by Noodlzzz
If you feel unmotivated, just make the effort to put on the gear, go to the gym. You don't have to do anything, but the theory is the biggest hurdle is leaving the house so once you're there it's not much more of a step to actually work out.

Agree with that, went and it wasn't horrendous once I got past the social anxiety

Original post by Noodlzzz
To add to the above, while not free, if you are overweight and approach your GP they can give you a 'gym prescription' where your sessions are heavily subsidised.

I got this because of pcos and depression and BMI but it worked out only £1 more expensive to just buy a normal membership from a random non uni gym than going to the sessions once a week at the uni gym that were £3 each
Going to the gym for the first time may seem scary as you are going somewhere in which you might not know anyone and will be sweaty and adrenaline-pumped. But one of the important things to remember is that don't worry as no-one will be looking at you. Don't feel self-conscious just because you are sweating and perhaps by yourself. Also, don't jump straight into the deep end as in don't strain yourself to do something that you know you're not able to do. Going to the gym can have it's own advantages and disadvantages but at the end of the day as long as its your own choice that you have made to go to the gym. Nobody should force you to go to the gym. Finally, while you may be feeling a bit down and wanting to let off some steam is better to make sure that you are physically fit enough to start.
Reply 18
Focus on yourself. It doesn't matter how much the guy next to you can bench, all that matters is your own progress. Sure, he might deadlife 100kg, but you could only deadlift 15 yesterday and now you can deadlift 20 - that guy has never tried anything more than 100.
Try out the gym once and note down how you feel. Gearing yourself up is always the hardest bit! At the end of the day if you're scared about being judged don't be you will never meet anyone you see again!

Quick Reply

Latest