The Student Room Group

PhD chances of admission

applied for PhD research based in ECS.My cgpa is bit low than the required entry level but the potentiol supervisor likes my proposal and suggested me to apply.i was wondering what are my chances.will the administration send my application to supervisor for interview or will they straight forwardly reject it on basis of cgpa in masters.btw potentiol supervisor has told me that once application comes to him,he will setup interview.anybody having any idea how much is it in hands of supervisor?
Original post by node11

The Supervisor has a strong influence in proposing an application as suitable, but there are other steps to getting a place. First of all, depending how diverse the subject area is, there might be tougher or less tough moderation between research areas. in other words, each Supervisor's recommendations have to be compared and checked for equivalent quality across the subject area. That might happen at two levels, first across the single degree programme cohort, and then again across the degrees in the whole department.

The next issue is funding, it's relatively easier to get an offer at PG level than it is to get funding. If your conversations with the Supervisor included funding, that's great, but if it didn't, with weak masters grades, you may not be competitive for funding.
Reply 2
Thabks..well my subject area is quite diverse and has lot of research potentiol.and I am self funded.the only issue is cgpa and that too I have told my supervisor but he is has given me go ahead to apply.i hope I get admission
Original post by node11
applied for PhD research based in ECS.My cgpa is bit low than the required entry level but the potentiol supervisor likes my proposal and suggested me to apply.i was wondering what are my chances.will the administration send my application to supervisor for interview or will they straight forwardly reject it on basis of cgpa in masters.btw potentiol supervisor has told me that once application comes to him,he will setup interview.anybody having any idea how much is it in hands of supervisor?

In terms of percentages, it wont be inaccurate to say it is 70% in the hands of the supervisor. If he/she says you should apply, please go ahead. I believe you must have shown the potential supervisor your CGPA by now. Put in a strong proposal and do your best in the interview.
You might be more fortunate than you think.

All the best!

Cranfield TSR Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending