The Student Room Group

Tips on Staying Positive

Hi, I’m in year 11 and feeling the pressure of exams.

Does anybody have any tips on how to stay positive?

Thank-you :smile:
Reply 1
Hey! Here are some tips thay probably aren't amazing, but might help!
- Plan rest time into revision schedule. Be realistic with your plans because that is how to avoid procrastination. Procrastinating will not make you feel better even if it might feel good at the time!
- Talk to your friends who are in the same boat, they are likely to be able to give good advice/ make you feel less alone. Group revision can be good fun and really useful too!
- But also try to spend more time with people who aren't about to do important exams, they are likely to be more relaxed and might make you feel more positive!
- Don't compromise sleep time for revision if possible. Start revising early so you aren't as stressed closer to the time
- Listen to music! Dance! (might sound silly but it is extremely gratifying)
- If you are already panicking, try not to because you still have lots of time. It would be a lot more practical to invest your energy on something else.

Hope that helps. Really good luck, I'm sure you'll ace it!! :smile:
Reply 2
I've more ideas on how to stay positive:
1. Find your favourite hobby. Hobbies are s great distraction from bad thoughts and depression, and I find them healing.
2. Fitness/gym is great for the endorphins, weight loss, self-esteem and sleep.
3. This quote keeps me positive - Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. Maria Robinson
Reply 3
Asking yourself the right questions is the simplest but perhaps also the most important habit I have discovered in adopting an optimistic mindset. The questions we ask ourselves day in and day out when we wind up in negative, difficult or uncertain situations make all the difference in our life.
A pessimist might ask him/herself questions like:
“Why did this happen to me?”
“Why do bad things happen to me all the time?”
But an optimist asks him/herself the questions that open up the mind to new viewpoints and possibilities. A few of my favorite questions for finding the optimistic perspective are:
“What is one good thing about this situation?”
“What can I learn from this situation?”
“What is one small step I can take today to start solving this situation?”
Reply 4
Original post by leeju
Hey! Here are some tips thay probably aren't amazing, but might help!
- Plan rest time into revision schedule. Be realistic with your plans because that is how to avoid procrastination. Procrastinating will not make you feel better even if it might feel good at the time!
- Talk to your friends who are in the same boat, they are likely to be able to give good advice/ make you feel less alone. Group revision can be good fun and really useful too!
- But also try to spend more time with people who aren't about to do important exams, they are likely to be more relaxed and might make you feel more positive!
- Don't compromise sleep time for revision if possible. Start revising early so you aren't as stressed closer to the time
- Listen to music! Dance! (might sound silly but it is extremely gratifying)
- If you are already panicking, try not to because you still have lots of time. It would be a lot more practical to invest your energy on something else.

Hope that helps. Really good luck, I'm sure you'll ace it!! :smile:

Thank-you so much!
Reply 5
Original post by Margusha
I've more ideas on how to stay positive:
1. Find your favourite hobby. Hobbies are s great distraction from bad thoughts and depression, and I find them healing.
2. Fitness/gym is great for the endorphins, weight loss, self-esteem and sleep.
3. This quote keeps me positive - Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. Maria Robinson

Thank-you so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Margusha
Asking yourself the right questions is the simplest but perhaps also the most important habit I have discovered in adopting an optimistic mindset. The questions we ask ourselves day in and day out when we wind up in negative, difficult or uncertain situations make all the difference in our life.
A pessimist might ask him/herself questions like:
“Why did this happen to me?”
“Why do bad things happen to me all the time?”
But an optimist asks him/herself the questions that open up the mind to new viewpoints and possibilities. A few of my favorite questions for finding the optimistic perspective are:
“What is one good thing about this situation?”
“What can I learn from this situation?”
“What is one small step I can take today to start solving this situation?”

Thank-you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Thank-you so much!

My pleasure
Meditate. Trust me, it relieves anxiety, depression, stress, basically majority of negative emotions :smile:
Anime.....

Quick Reply