The Student Room Group

Gay relationships: Masculinity/Femininity

For gay relationships, would you say that there has to be a balance of masculinity and femininity in the relationship? Or, do feminine guys tend to stick with each other, and masculine guys stick with each other?

I am reasonably feminine, and am not attracted to absolute flaming homosexuals, but someone with a similar temperament to me is nice. Equally I am not attracted to the masculine type.

I am a bit uneducated here, so does anyone else have something to say?
:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
For gay relationships, would you say that there has to be a balance of masculinity and femininity in the relationship? Or, do feminine guys tend to stick with each other, and masculine guys stick with each other?

I am reasonably feminine, and am not attracted to absolute flaming homosexuals, but someone with a similar temperament to me is nice. Equally I am not attracted to the masculine type.

I am a bit uneducated here, so does anyone else have something to say?
:smile:

A lot of gay men and women don't really conform to gender roles in relationships. It is just about being yourself really. You don't have to date a masculine or feminine man. Just date who you are attracted to.
Do I have to be gay to respond? #AskingForAGayFriend
+1 Manderly. Gay or straight, people date others for various attractions, but it boils down to dating someone you fancy. I prefer more masculine, whereas some similar mates prefer more feminine. It's not a "square peg:square hole" situation.

Yes, the joke was intentional.
Reply 4
Original post by Maven Writers
Do I have to be gay to respond? #AskingForAGayFriend

No - all responses are welcome!
Gay love going barefoot
Reply 6
It does just make me curious. You get some gays who are "straight-acting" and avoid "fems" at all costs, and it is a topic that gay people don't seem to talk about.
I will certainly date who attracts me. Hopefully the feeling will be mutual. Personality and looks are the two key factors in attractiveness, IMO.
Why do you feel the need to put labels on people? You probably didn't even think twice about making this thread but your first post is actually homophobic. You don't need to be 'educated' in LGBT matters to know that either.
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
Why do you feel the need to put labels on people? You probably didn't even think twice about making this thread but your first post is actually homophobic. You don't need to be 'educated' in LGBT matters to know that either.

I think OP was just curious, and from the sound it they’re just curious about other gay relationships, as their relationships tend to be with people who are similarly masculine/feminine to them. They’ve probably never experienced other attraction so was just wondering if they were the norm or if they were unusual, or s bit of both. No need to be rude
Reply 9
Original post by Haviland-Tuf

Sorry, what is homophobic about the original post?
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry, what is homophobic about the original post?

I thought it was a little bit odd in terms of a bit of a rigid outlook on who you can fall in love with, but not homophobic. I certainly don't take offence as it is obvious none was intended. Some people like making trouble!!
Original post by silversocks012
I thought it was a little bit odd in terms of a bit of a rigid outlook on who you can fall in love with, but not homophobic. I certainly don't take offence as it is obvious none was intended. Some people like making trouble!!

I'm not being rigid. Just trying to find out more about the issue. I don't know any gay couples, so can only rely on the dynamic I have found straight couples.
Original post by Manderley Inc.
A lot of gay men and women don't really conform to gender roles in relationships. It is just about being yourself really. You don't have to date a masculine or feminine man. Just date who you are attracted to.

Yeahhh that’s totally true you don’t have to be more masculin or more feminine than the over you just have to be yourself
People go for who they go for. I don't think there's a set mindset for anyone.

There's nothing special in opposite-sex relationships or same-sex relationships that changes that.

I go absolutely insane when people talk about my relationship with my ex-girlfriend because there's this redic view that I wore the dresses in that relationship and she was a 'man' or the 'male influence', but that isn't how things work. There's generally no a 'boyish' or 'girlish' attitudes in same-sex relationships unless people really want to play with them.
There is this saying that "opposites attract."

Is that really true? No two people are the same, but I certainly am not attracted to someone completely different to me. I would never go out with a blokeish guy, not that many of them are gay though.
I don’t think gay people conform the roles like others think they do. Personally, I am fairly masculine and in both the relationships I’ve had since coming out the other guy has been masculine aswell
I’m quite feminine but I don’t talk like ‘that’, you probably know what I mean and I’m not over the top. It’s just natural. I don’t mind dating a guy like that but I wouldn’t date one that’s anymore fem than that. I completely support them but I’m just not attracted to them.

I am more attracted to Masc guys but the problem with them is that they do not understand I’m not trying to be fem, it’s just natural.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending