The Student Room Group

I don’t want to go to school

Hi
A few months ago (probably October time), I made a thread saying that I hated school and wanted to drop out
One of the replies to that thread said something like this: “...Wait until Christmas and see how it goes...”

As you know, last week was February half term. Nothing has changed, and I still hate the place.
Do I drop out? I could easily self-teach myself.

The only thing that is making me stay is a weekend trip to the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. That trip cost about £400 and there may be the opportunity to go down to one of the detectors. Something I don’t want to miss

What do I do??
Neither do I . Find another route before you do anything, an apprenticeship, a job, maybe switch to another school . Or just do what i'm doing and force yourself to finish it .... and hope something you like will come up when it's done .
Original post by IDOZ
Hi
A few months ago (probably October time), I made a thread saying that I hated school and wanted to drop out
One of the replies to that thread said something like this: “...Wait until Christmas and see how it goes...”

As you know, last week was February half term. Nothing has changed, and I still hate the place.

The only thing that is making me stay is a weekend trip to the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. That trip cost about £400 and there may be the opportunity to go down to one of the detectors. Something I don’t want to miss

What do I do??

Hi there,

Firstly - I am sorry to hear that you are not having a good time at school. I am unsure as to how old you are but you do need to be in some form of education until your 18th birthday.

If you're under 18 there are other options open to you such as an apprenticeship, studying part-time and working or volunteering alongside.

If you're over 18 it's not a requirement for you to stay but it may have an impact on your ability to finish your qualifications.

There is also the option to learn through distance learning from home if you feel this would suit your learning style better.

It would be great to know more about your circumstances, please feel free to send a message if you would like further support. The National Careers Service is live on TSR to support anytime.

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 3
I also don't want to go to school either but...you are not the one who decides your own life unfortunately, it's your parents. I honestly see no reason to get up at 7 in the morning and sit your ass in a classroom for 5 hours and learn almost useless information for your exams, the teachers are ****ing useless.
Reply 4
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Firstly - I am sorry to hear that you are not having a good time at school. I am unsure as to how old you are but you do need to be in some form of education until your 18th birthday.

If you're under 18 there are other options open to you such as an apprenticeship, studying part-time and working or volunteering alongside.

If you're over 18 it's not a requirement for you to stay but it may have an impact on your ability to finish your qualifications.

There is also the option to learn through distance learning from home if you feel this would suit your learning style better.

It would be great to know more about your circumstances, please feel free to send a message if you would like further support. The National Careers Service is live on TSR to support anytime.

Thanks - Sophie.

Thanks
I’m nearly 18
I think if I do self teach, I will find a part time job near where I live
Original post by IDOZ
Thanks
I’m nearly 18
I think if I do self teach, I will find a part time job near where I live

Thanks for your reply.

If you do decide to learn from home please be sure that you are working towards accredited qualifications through an approved provider.

I am not sure what your end goal is in terms of career but it's important to keep on working towards qualifications that will help you get there.

If you feel like you would benefit from a more in-depth careers chat you can talk to one of our advisers in confidence between 8am and 10pm 7 days a week through our website - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

Best of luck with everything.

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 6
Original post by National Careers Service
Thanks for your reply.

If you do decide to learn from home please be sure that you are working towards accredited qualifications through an approved provider.

I am not sure what your end goal is in terms of career but it's important to keep on working towards qualifications that will help you get there.

If you feel like you would benefit from a more in-depth careers chat you can talk to one of our advisers in confidence between 8am and 10pm 7 days a week through our website - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

Best of luck with everything.

Thanks - Sophie.

My end goal is to get into the RAF
I feel the exact same which is why I have to wait a year and a half to get into private education. In the meantime, I spoke to my teachers about how i'm going to be moving and i'm really excited to move to a new private school and they said well, you've got a year and a bit so how can we make that time really cool for you? And I literally have no idea. I do not have any friends since I think that everyone my age is super immature and nobody wants to be friends with me because i'm a 'goody-two-shoes'.

First of all, have you spoken to your parents about moving, what did they say?

Second of all, have you spoken to your teachers?

Thirdly, what are your reasons for moving as they may be different to mine and there will be different options to improve you academic life.
Reply 8
Original post by queenmeelzx
I feel the exact same which is why I have to wait a year and a half to get into private education. In the meantime, I spoke to my teachers about how i'm going to be moving and i'm really excited to move to a new private school and they said well, you've got a year and a bit so how can we make that time really cool for you? And I literally have no idea. I do not have any friends since I think that everyone my age is super immature and nobody wants to be friends with me because i'm a 'goody-two-shoes'.

First of all, have you spoken to your parents about moving, what did they say?

Second of all, have you spoken to your teachers?

Thirdly, what are your reasons for moving as they may be different to mine and there will be different options to improve you academic life.

Thanks for the reply
Firstly sort of. This topic did show up a little while back about what I want to do about school
Secondly not really
Thirdly I’m just really struggling at school, they go through the topics really fast and if I pull out I could go through it in my own time, and make sure I understand it before I move on
Reply 9
Original post by IDOZ
Hi

What do I do??

Of course self teach your gcse you will excel I am sure
Original post by IDOZ
My end goal is to get into the RAF

Cool, what role?
Original post by IDOZ
Thanks for the reply
Firstly sort of. This topic did show up a little while back about what I want to do about school
Secondly not really
Thirdly I’m just really struggling at school, they go through the topics really fast and if I pull out I could go through it in my own time, and make sure I understand it before I move on

Np x

What do your parents think? Are they for or against it?

I think talking to teachers could help A LOT, before I didn't think they could AT all tbh but when I started talking to them about anything and everything, for the first time in ages I felt that they understood and tried to help with what was best FOR ME. Not other students, nobody else, JUST ME. As selfish as it sounds, it's the best decision anyone could make.

Talking to your teachers for those specific subjects might help? I did that at lunch because toward the near future i'll be taking some exams in Spanish, English, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths and I went to my teachers asking if they could get me to THE BEST I POSSIBLY CAN BE. And they started bringing me in at lunchtimes, doing extra homework, helping with things I didn't understand and taking more time on it. I'll be honest, that is one of the only good decisions i've made so far in my academic life.
Reply 12
Original post by BTAnonymous
Cool, what role?

Air traffic control
Reply 13
Original post by Sagul
Of course self teach your gcse you will excel I am sure

I’m doing A level
Original post by IDOZ
Air traffic control

nice! should be a really good roe so good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by queenmeelzx
Np x

What do your parents think? Are they for or against it?

I think talking to teachers could help A LOT, before I didn't think they could AT all tbh but when I started talking to them about anything and everything, for the first time in ages I felt that they understood and tried to help with what was best FOR ME. Not other students, nobody else, JUST ME. As selfish as it sounds, it's the best decision anyone could make.

Talking to your teachers for those specific subjects might help? I did that at lunch because toward the near future i'll be taking some exams in Spanish, English, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths and I went to my teachers asking if they could get me to THE BEST I POSSIBLY CAN BE. And they started bringing me in at lunchtimes, doing extra homework, helping with things I didn't understand and taking more time on it. I'll be honest, that is one of the only good decisions i've made so far in my academic life.

Thanks
My parents are mixed about it. They think I could benefit from it but my social life would deteriorate. Which is why I want to apply for the RAF
Reply 16
Original post by BTAnonymous
nice! should be a really good roe so good luck!

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by IDOZ
I’m doing A level

that is fine and it is possible..you can even do it part time at a college for adults
Original post by IDOZ
self-teach myself.

Spot the tautology.
Original post by IDOZ
Thanks
My parents are mixed about it. They think I could benefit from it but my social life would deteriorate. Which is why I want to apply for the RAF

That's cool, as long as you are doing what you enjoy! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending