why are so many people doing religious studies for GCSE?

Watch
sadasdasfsfafg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
its kind of wierd seeing that the magority of people say they are athiest. is it compulsary or like all the schoold in england made RE compulsary besides my school
ajayma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hahahah because you study rs doesn’t mean you’re not an atheist. Clearly uneducated
chakshita29
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my school we had the choice of RE, ICT or computer science. The teacher put many, many students down for RE as it is a 'revise and exam' type of subject whereas ICT and computer science were/are coursework based. (I hated RE since the beginning but I still ended up getting an A)
ruteles23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It really depends what school you go to.
Let's say, I go to a public school R.E/ R.S would be an option and if I go to a Catholic or some sort of religious school R.E/R.S would be compulsory.
Also, R.E/R.S is not only about religion, its also about philosophy and your self conscious and so much more.

i dont know if this kinda answered your question?
JMR2020.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why would being atheist mean that you don't want to study about religion?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school is not a religious school but there isn't much choice on picking GCSE options and RS GCSE is compulsory for all students even though the majority have no religious beliefs. A lot of them would prefer to pick something else if they could.
anniewrighttt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
RS GCSE isn't just about religion and if you revise well its quite easy to do super well - you just have to learn the key words and the mark scheme and you will get an A*. I also found it really interesting because you do things about the just war theory, euthanasia and abortion.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't have a choice.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anniewrighttt)
RS GCSE isn't just about religion and if you revise well its quite easy to do super well - you just have to learn the key words and the mark scheme and you will get an A*. I also found it really interesting because you do things about the just war theory, euthanasia and abortion.
The new 9-1 GCSE is no longer a soft option requiring mostly general knowledge and what you think but requires you to learn about some actual religion such as what it says in St Marks Gospel.
anniewrighttt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
The new 9-1 GCSE is no longer a soft option requiring mostly general knowledge and what you think but requires you to learn about some actual religion such as what it says in St Marks Gospel.
oh okay - i did RS last year and you did need to know some quotes and have some biblical knowledge. I got an A*, and i'm not saying it was easy, but it was easy to do really well if you just put a bit of work in. i didn't know that its got harder! glad i did mine last year aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads