The Student Room Group

Moving into uni accomodation with no help

Im going to try not to bore anyone actually reading this, so I thought Id just summarise:

-I'm 17 years old and hoping to move to a uni around 60 odd miles from where I live this September
-My muslim parents/family are dead against the idea and wouldn't even let me commute to a uni that would take me like an hour to get to (not that I want to go there)
-Honestly If I get into this uni I want to move away and never speak to them again but due to culture, that would bring shame on the family and tbh I don't want that, despite feeling like crap whenever I'm around them.

-------So my Q is: How do I transport all my belongings to uni by myself (possibly with the help of a friend but I don't want to be a burden) and what essentials should I bring? (Incase, god forbid, I have to sneak out/run away in order to actually get there

*I should also mention I don't have a job yet, so have minimal money saved up
Original post by whatdoido2212
Im going to try not to bore anyone actually reading this, so I thought Id just summarise:

-I'm 17 years old and hoping to move to a uni around 60 odd miles from where I live this September
-My muslim parents/family are dead against the idea and wouldn't even let me commute to a uni that would take me like an hour to get to (not that I want to go there)
-Honestly If I get into this uni I want to move away and never speak to them again but due to culture, that would bring shame on the family and tbh I don't want that, despite feeling like crap whenever I'm around them.

-------So my Q is: How do I transport all my belongings to uni by myself (possibly with the help of a friend but I don't want to be a burden) and what essentials should I bring? (Incase, god forbid, I have to sneak out/run away in order to actually get there

*I should also mention I don't have a job yet, so have minimal money saved up

Use a service like Unibaggage or try and bring two large suitcases on the train with you?
There are a few options here if you need to Sneak out run away.

You'll need to prepare your self a bit for this to work and this is the nuclear option so last resort first of all you'll need to get a suitcase don't take one from home because your parents might notice take said suitcase or two to the train stationed leave it in left luggage. A leaving time approaches you need to quietly and discreetly move some clothes to these suit cases remember at best you won't be home until December and at worst ever.

most of the things you'll need you can buy once your in your uni town including things that might tip off your parents like your toothbrush.

so it'll look a bit like this take to uni from home :
clothes
phone and phone charger
laptop
Earphones (optional)

Things to buy once your there:
Duvet
Sheets
Pillow and pillow case
Towels
Food
Toiltries (tooth brush, toothpaste, shower gel you get the idea)

Things to buy before you leave:
Pay as you go sim card (this is the number you use to contact your parents and they contact you)
train ticket (for the day you go to uni)

Here's how to do it:
1/ Move clothes quietly to the suitcase in the left luggage.
2/ Buy your train ticket and sim card.
3/ On the night before organise your self a small bag with your phone charger and have your laptop packed up.
4/ Write a letter telling your parents what you've done and give them the number for the sim card telling them the time of day you'll have it in your phone 7-8pm a day or what ever.
5/ Set your alarm early enough so you can get the earliest train.
6/ When you get up quietly make your way out of the house to the train station leaving your letter on the kitchen table in plain sight.
7/ When you get to your uni town get your suit case up to your room and go buy all the things you need (you may need a student over draft for this but do't worry it interest free.
8/ Once you've got everything tell you security at halls not to let anyone in asking for you without your say so.

The letter you leave your parents should include what your studying an assurance your coming home for Christmas if you are and the phone number telling them that you have changed your old number if they try it don't answer. Do not what ever you do tell them where your studying.

They may attempt emotional blackmail get you to come home or threats don't fall for this. and please let us know how it went.
Original post by jonathanemptage
There are a few options here if you need to Sneak out run away.

You'll need to prepare your self a bit for this to work and this is the nuclear option so last resort first of all you'll need to get a suitcase don't take one from home because your parents might notice take said suitcase or two to the train stationed leave it in left luggage. A leaving time approaches you need to quietly and discreetly move some clothes to these suit cases remember at best you won't be home until December and at worst ever.

most of the things you'll need you can buy once your in your uni town including things that might tip off your parents like your toothbrush.

so it'll look a bit like this take to uni from home :
clothes
phone and phone charger
laptop
Earphones (optional)

Things to buy once your there:
Duvet
Sheets
Pillow and pillow case
Towels
Food
Toiltries (tooth brush, toothpaste, shower gel you get the idea)

Things to buy before you leave:
Pay as you go sim card (this is the number you use to contact your parents and they contact you)
train ticket (for the day you go to uni)

Here's how to do it:
1/ Move clothes quietly to the suitcase in the left luggage.
2/ Buy your train ticket and sim card.
3/ On the night before organise your self a small bag with your phone charger and have your laptop packed up.
4/ Write a letter telling your parents what you've done and give them the number for the sim card telling them the time of day you'll have it in your phone 7-8pm a day or what ever.
5/ Set your alarm early enough so you can get the earliest train.
6/ When you get up quietly make your way out of the house to the train station leaving your letter on the kitchen table in plain sight.
7/ When you get to your uni town get your suit case up to your room and go buy all the things you need (you may need a student over draft for this but do't worry it interest free.
8/ Once you've got everything tell you security at halls not to let anyone in asking for you without your say so.

The letter you leave your parents should include what your studying an assurance your coming home for Christmas if you are and the phone number telling them that you have changed your old number if they try it don't answer. Do not what ever you do tell them where your studying.

They may attempt emotional blackmail get you to come home or threats don't fall for this. and please let us know how it went.

Woah that's incredibly detailed, thank you so much! Im not too sure about what you meant by 'left luggage' though(??)
Also they currently do pay my phone contract because im under 18, is it a good idea to buy a throwaway phone jsut in case they block the contract when i leave??
Original post by whatdoido2212
Woah that's incredibly detailed, thank you so much! Im not too sure about what you meant by 'left luggage' though(??)
Also they currently do pay my phone contract because im under 18, is it a good idea to buy a throwaway phone jsut in case they block the contract when i leave??

left luggage is something some train stations have where you can leave a bit of luggage over night or however long you need for a small fee.

It might be worth getting a "throwaway" but changing the sim might also work if you do want a "throwaway phone" then the nocia 3310 is a good one it's restively cheap and tough as old boots.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending