The Student Room Group

Moving into student accomodation with no help

Okay I'm dead certain noone'll reply to this, but Ive got myself in quite a sticky situation and idk what to do.Summary: I'm planning on moving to a uni about 60 odd miles away from where I live (so I'm not able to commute) and my muslim parents/family are very much against the idea. How do I transport all my things by myself (maybe with the help of a friend but I don't wanna be a burden), as efficiently as possible, and what should I prioritise in terms of what I bring.*I should probably also add that I don't really have a healthy relationship with my family, theyre nice people and all but our views on life and religion may as well be opposing because we don't agree on anything. *I'll be turning 18 like less than a month before moving-in day so thats also a hassle *I don't even have a job at the minute so I don't have very much saved up either, I'm ****ed really aren't I
Can any of your friends drive? Ask them if they can transport it for you
Get the train and carry all your stuff on the train
Get a taxi
Original post by emmamariekitty
Can any of your friends drive? Ask them if they can transport it for you
Get the train and carry all your stuff on the train
Get a taxi

A few do, but the problem is that they'll be off to uni too and I cant bring myself to stress them out over my issues when theyre already probably nervous about moving in themselves
Perhaps a family friend who can drive?
Friends are there when you're in need. They can also help carry bags if you take the train.
Some minicab companies have minibus options but you'll need to cover the fare.

As for prioritising, you NEVER need all you think you do. I would focus on school requirements, basic hygiene, variety of clothes (cold, hot, wet, etc) but keep it modest. No one wants to help you carry 4 winter coats. :wink:
Original post by whatdoido2212
A few do, but the problem is that they'll be off to uni too and I cant bring myself to stress them out over my issues when theyre already probably nervous about moving in themselves

When it comes to either that or not having a way to move in its probably best to just ask them. They probably won't mind
Original post by Apocalyps
Perhaps a family friend who can drive?
Friends are there when you're in need. They can also help carry bags if you take the train.
Some minicab companies have minibus options but you'll need to cover the fare.

As for prioritising, you NEVER need all you think you do. I would focus on school requirements, basic hygiene, variety of clothes (cold, hot, wet, etc) but keep it modest. No one wants to help you carry 4 winter coats. :wink:

The family friend is a no go, as my parents are very much loved and respected in the community and this would be going against them.
The minicab idea's a good one though, I didnt actually think of that one lol thank you !!
As long as you've got a large suitcase, maybe an additional backpack, and can get to a train station easily you shouldn't have much problem as long as you try to limit to the necessities.

For reference, I make the trip to uni and back about every 3 months with just a large suitcase and a backpack, and I can fit more than enough clothes to regularly wear, plus all my notebooks and maybe a couple textbooks, some snacks from home, my laptop, my little desktop, some other sentimental stuff. It's no problem. On my way to the airport from home I need to be dropped off by my parents (though I guess in your case you would be taking the bus or taxi), and on the uni side I just walk from the train station because it's only a 20 minute walk, not too bad even with all my stuff.
Okay I'm dead certain noone'll reply to this, but Ive got myself in quite a sticky situation and idk what to do.Summary: I'm planning on moving to a uni about 60 odd miles away from where I live (so I'm not able to commute) and my muslim parents/family are very much against the idea. How do I transport all my things by myself (maybe with the help of a friend but I don't wanna be a burden), as efficiently as possible, and what should I prioritise in terms of what I bring.*I should probably also add that I don't really have a healthy relationship with my family, theyre nice people and all but our views on life and religion may as well be opposing because we don't agree on anything. *I'll be turning 18 like less than a month before moving-in day so thats also a hassle *I don't even have a job at the minute so I don't have very much saved up either, I'm ****ed really aren't I

If you have zero help, then a very large holdall on wheels and the coach. Gradually move stuff across.

Your alternative is man with a van, but you need a little money plus you can include your own travel as well.

Plus you can buy stuff over at your uni place or get it delivered to your hall via online shopping.
Original post by 999tigger
If you have zero help, then a very large holdall on wheels and the coach. Gradually move stuff across.

Your alternative is man with a van, but you need a little money plus you can include your own travel as well.

Plus you can buy stuff over at your uni place or get it delivered to your hall via online shopping.

So what essentials do u think i should remember to bring?? (apart from phone/laptop/chargers) And do u think i should leave maybe a note as to why im doing this?? Or do u think that would stress them out?
Reply 9
Sometimes I check on facebook in groups some people are willing to give you a lift to other cities etc. for a bit of money! I think I had a lift from this woman from Hull to Doncaster for £20 before. You could join a group of your community in the city and ask if anyone could help you out. Some people work in very little enclosed businesses that do specifically this, they even have a van sometimes.
If you don't have the money, see if you can find a job at a local place just for a bit. I'm sure getting a little bit even £50 isn't hard.. unfortunately the sacrifices you have to make..
(edited 6 years ago)
So what essentials do u think i should remember to bring?? (apart from phone/laptop/chargers) And do u think i should leave maybe a note as to why im doing this?? Or do u think that would stress them out?

I cant gauge your family situation and how easy its going to be to move unimpeded. the easiest way imo is man with a van, but that takes a bit of money plus there may be culture issues? A part time job after exams would be ideal.

Are you a muslim female?

If you have money you can buy everything the other end or order online an have it waiting for you.

You just need clothes

Anything else you can buy there. Imagine waking up and the things you need.

Obviously you can tell them you will be visiting back and keeping in contact (if allowed) and you will behave , but you need the course they offer. Hard to say because the family situation sounds delicate.
Original post by 999tigger
I cant gauge your family situation and how easy its going to be to move unimpeded. the easiest way imo is man with a van, but that takes a bit of money plus there may be culture issues? A part time job after exams would be ideal.

Are you a muslim female?

If you have money you can buy everything the other end or order online an have it waiting for you.

You just need clothes

Anything else you can buy there. Imagine waking up and the things you need.

Obviously you can tell them you will be visiting back and keeping in contact (if allowed) and you will behave , but you need the course they offer. Hard to say because the family situation sounds delicate.

I am a Muslim female (which honestly makes this so much harder because of the whole honour thing) but I am determined to make this work as I honestly think it’s the only way to gain the freedom I need to stop being constantly depressed. Thank you for your help x
***bump***
***bump***

When I moved into student accommodation there was the option to buy a “starter kit” which had basic kitchen and bedding etc which was aimed at people travelling from abroad, but it does mean you can take less with you.

A friend of mine did end up taking most of her stuff on the train with her. What are your transport links like?
Original post by carrotstar
When I moved into student accommodation there was the option to buy a “starter kit” which had basic kitchen and bedding etc which was aimed at people travelling from abroad, but it does mean you can take less with you.

A friend of mine did end up taking most of her stuff on the train with her. What are your transport links like?

If i was to go to the uni of my choice on a train, theres two changes si taking all my things with me will be an absolute nightmare :s-smilie:. Ive asked a friend who isnt going to uni this year if she's help if need be, so thats the only bit of hope im hanging onto lol. But i will look into the starter kits, as i dont think il be able to lug kitchen/household things 70 odd miles across the country lolThank you!!!
I would definitely look into getting a delivery from Amazon or Argos delivered to your halls before you move in rather than buying any kitchen items at home and then having extra to carry. Your halls might be happy with you getting things delivered ahead of you arriving and checking-in. I know that the building that I work at is fine with this in moderation!

As other posters have said, just use this as a good excuse to limit what you're taking. Be sure to check with your halls what items they provide. Even if there are some things they don't have, for example a kettle or a toaster, wait until you arrive and meet your flatmates before buying these things. You can share the cost with them and it's a good bonding experience to go shopping for one, haha.

I would also look into courier services for getting boxes delivered. This is something we often see at my building for more cumbersome packing!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Lilith

Quick Reply

Latest