The Student Room Group

Failed C3 maths mock advice I need an A

I’mdoing Mocks and I know for a fact I have failed my maths c3 mock exam. The issue is that I actually study I do well in past papers and then I get to the exam and it’s something else. The paper seems completely unrecognisable compared to the past papers I did . Then I have no clue how to approach the questions! AT ALL!! It’s really frustrating when you get 70+ in all past papers up to June 2015 then you do the 2017 exam paper and you flop it! I don’t know what to do because I’m told to do past papers to revise I do them and I still fail... What did you guys do? I also do all the text book questions ...
Physicsandmathstutor.com

Go to maths and past papers. Look for bronze silver gold papers. Every level of question is there. Can't get much harder than that. Try the Solomon papers as well and perhaps the IYGB papers
Original post by jsk800
Physicsandmathstutor.com

Go to maths and past papers. Look for bronze silver gold papers. Every level of question is there. Can't get much harder than that. Try the Solomon papers as well and perhaps the IYGB papers

Thanks
Original post by BubbleBabby
I’mdoing Mocks and I know for a fact I have failed my maths c3 mock exam. The issue is that I actually study I do well in past papers and then I get to the exam and it’s something else. The paper seems completely unrecognisable compared to the past papers I did . Then I have no clue how to approach the questions! AT ALL!! It’s really frustrating when you get 70+ in all past papers up to June 2015 then you do the 2017 exam paper and you flop it! I don’t know what to do because I’m told to do past papers to revise I do them and I still fail... What did you guys do? I also do all the text book questions ...

Weird that you've "flopped" a paper after getting 70+ on the past papers...

Check that you actually understand the content and you're not just relying on your knowledge of common exam questions. Perhaps this is an opportunity to realise that such a strategy can easily fall on its face.
Reply 4
As above if you understand the theory well then you will be able to answer any question on that topic
Original post by _gcx
Weird that you've "flopped" a paper after getting 70+ on the past papers...

Check that you actually understand the content and you're not just relying on your knowledge of common exam questions. Perhaps this is an opportunity to realise that such a strategy can easily fall on its face.

yes i think that is my problem i may have just found patterns in past exam questions and not fully understood the theory hence my flopping .
yes i think that is my problem i may have just found patterns in past exam questions and not fully understood the theory hence my flopping .

or you're just marking them way too leniently?

Same, but i didn't flop so hard. I lost 10 marks on my mock compared to past papers and most of my year failed outright. It was a harder paper that every other year for sure.
Original post by BTAnonymous
or you're just marking them way too leniently?

No I was really harsh. I think especially the trig questions in earlier papers are way easier. I revised a lot and did plenty of past papers. I’m mega down about this.
Original post by aceplayyt
As above if you understand the theory well then you will be able to answer any question on that topic

I don’t know then. I’m really frustrated because I do many text book questions and many past papers and it all goes wrong . In the exam there were concepts i had never seen before ... like cos^2 intergrated or replacing coordinates with a and b it just completely threw me off. Especially when I was able to tackle the 2016 paper ... I really don’t understand because it seems no matter how much I study I’m still destined to fail. All C3 past paper until June 2013 and the 2016 past paper. All the revision sheets on physics and maths tutor religiously redoing all homework’s until I get 100% . I’m completely demoralised now . I try so hard harder than last year but I still can’t get an A grade which I was able to do last year easily !
have a read of the examiners report.
it may give you an insight to where you're going wrong. it'll also yell you where everyone else went wrong too.

Quick Reply

Latest