The Student Room Group

How to beg a Sixth Form to let me in ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Teebowe
Lying won’t work as I know a few people who did that and failed completely trying to do so. They check by looking at your certificates against what you put. Lying will make it worse.

I would ask them if you could pay for the retake, I believe you have to if you do so early. For example I retook my English in November, I paid about £70 to do it early instead of having to waste the year. The same would apply for maths or at least be similar. Maybe a private tutor would help your case to the sixth form.

I don’t know what your parents think or if you want to involve them but having one of them with you to back you up or guarantee payment will help.

Can i go to this Sixth Form and ask them to retake it,i will happily cover the cost ? But the pressure will be huge on me,what happens if i fail again ? Other Students have managed to be able to do retakes for free,it seems unfair but i deserve it.
Reply 21
Original post by Ty457
Can i go to this Sixth Form and ask them to retake it.

Only the sixth form can answer that. Ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ty457
Can i go to this Sixth Form and ask them to retake it,i will happily cover the cost ? But the pressure will be huge on me,what happens if i fail again ? Other Students have managed to be able to do retakes for free,it seems unfair but i deserve it.

Yes, go to the sixth form and ask them if you can retake it there. If they so no tell them you will pay for it. There’s no point saying if I fail again, try saying how about what if I pass? Just don’t think about passing at the moment, think about getting the resit. If you panic you won’t pass, if your calm you will.
Reply 23
Original post by Teebowe
Yes, go to the sixth form and ask them if you can retake it there. If they so no tell them you will pay for it. There’s no point saying if I fail again, try saying how about what if I pass? Just don’t think about passing at the moment, think about getting the resit. If you panic you won’t pass, if your calm you will.

I have e-mailed someone at the Sixth Form to see if it is possible.However judging by the Email he sent me originally,why wouldn't he have said 'retake your maths here and if you pass you can get a place ' instead he said,'we wish you luck for your future and hope you find a alternative college' dosent sound like they want me even if i pass.
Original post by Ty457
Nope all too far away.Only that particular Sixth Form offers a array of subject and high quality teaching.I have to get into that, i am already a Year behind in my age.

Original post by Ty457
I have e-mailed someone at the Sixth Form to see if it is possible.However judging by the Email he sent me originally,why wouldn't he have said 'retake your maths here and if you pass you can get a place ' instead he said,'we wish you luck for your future and hope you find a alternative college' dosent sound like they want me even if i pass.

i swear most colleges let you do a lv 2 course if you fail maths and let u retake it

is this a private school or grammar school you're going to because they have tighter entry requirements ?
Reply 25
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i swear most colleges let you do a lv 2 course if you fail maths and let u retake it

is this a private school or grammar school you're going to because they have tighter entry requirements ?

Nope a State School in East London
Original post by Ty457
Nope a State School in East London

so if it's a normal college , do they not offer any level 2 courses with math retake , i mean don't you have to retake maths until your 18 or till you pass
Reply 27
so if it's a normal college , do they not offer any level 2 courses with math retake , i mean don't you have to retake maths until your 18 or till you pass

I think the problem is i am a external student applying meaning i am not a piority compared to students who went to the same secondary school and is applying for tge Sixth Form.They have not offered me retakes,i dont know what to do.The Man hasnt replied yet on Email, I would pay to resit it so it shouldnt be a problem.Providing i pass,they should offer me a course starting September 2018.
Reply 28
Original post by Ty457
I think the problem is i am a external student applying meaning i am not a piority compared to students who went to the same secondary school and is applying for tge Sixth Form.They have not offered me retakes,i dont know what to do.The Man hasnt replied yet on Email, I would pay to resit it so it shouldnt be a problem.Providing i pass,they should offer me a course starting September 2018.

And your previous school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ty457

hold on , if this place has it's very own secondary school , then it is a private school/grammar school ?
Reply 30
Original post by Doonesbury
And your previous school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dosent have a Sixth Form built in
Reply 31
hold on , if this place has it's very own secondary school , then it is a private school/grammar school ?

A fair proportion of comps/academies have sixth forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

What is wrong with you sunshine.It's a normal Secondary School and just so happens to have a Very good Sixth Form alongside it.You know,their are thousands of them in London never mind the UK.
Reply 33
Original post by Ty457
Dosent have a Sixth Form built in

No, to resit maths. And what about all your other GCSEs...how did you do in them?
Reply 34
No, to resit maths. And what about all your other GCSEs...how did you do in them?

Good enough,Maths is the only one i failed.I have also e-mailed my former exams officer,how much does a Gcse Maths even cost ? If my old school and Sixth Form i want to go to say No,i dont know what the hell to do.Why is it so hard to resit a Exam,even if i say i will cover the costs.Why does Life have to be soo hard man.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Ty457
Good enough,Maths is the only one i failed.I have also e-mailed my former exams officer,how much does a Gcse Maths even cost ? If my old school and Sixth Form i want to go to say No,i dont know what the hell to do.Why is it so hard to resit a Exam,even if i say i will cover the costs.Why does Life have to be soo hard man.

It's not much as a normal student but probably a couple of hundred as an external candidate.
Reply 36
It's not much as a normal student but probably a couple of hundred as an external candidate.

Hundreds ? That Might be another problem i really cant get a hold of that much.So what do i do,i cant afford a Re sit,i'm not allowed to do a resit for free.What do i do,Seriously....
A fair proportion of comps/academies have sixth forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the clarification :smile:

Original post by Ty457
What is wrong with you sunshine.It's a normal Secondary School and just so happens to have a Very good Sixth Form alongside it.You know,their are thousands of them in London never mind the UK.

Ok firstly cut the attitude because you're the one in the precarious position here , i don't live in london so i didn't know that normal state schools had their own sixth form. I would get one of your parents to discuss your options with the head of sixth form at that place so arrange a meeting with your parents and the head of sixth form to discuss what to do
Reply 38
Original post by Ty457
Hundreds ? That Might be another problem i really cant get a hold of that much.So what do i do,i cant afford a Re sit,i'm not allowed to do a resit for free.What do i do,Seriously....

So ask your old school.
I understand what you say but if it’s your dream sixth form don’t give up. Just go for it. As cringe as it sounds you do only live life once so do make the most of it.

Quick Reply

Latest