The Student Room Group

Why do people oppose gun laws?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jammy Duel
Murder is by definition illegal

I'm starting to think you're just my little pedantic stalker. Edited now, happy?
Original post by Dheorl
I'm starting to think you're just my little pedantic stalker. Edited now, happy?

Oh, it's not just you and it is hardly stalking.
Original post by Trinculo
The thought process that brought you to ask that question really must be something special.

1. Knives would be a reasonable substitute were firearms not available. The military are not restricted as to their use of firearms.

2. Armies have weapons. Schoolchildren do not. If an army goes to war with knives it will get beaten. The Imperial Japanese Army slaughtered untold thousands of civilians just with shovels or bayonets. Would they have used the same weapons against the Allied armies? Of course not.

The thought process is, it is much more difficult to kill a dozen people with a gun that it is with a knife. People can out run you, or potentially get close enough over power you. Your comment implied that you thought it was just as easy to carry out a dozen murders with a knife as it was with a gun, which is needless to say an exceptionally dumb thought.
Original post by Gwilym101
The thought process is, it is much more difficult to kill a dozen people with a gun that it is with a knife. People can out run you, or potentially get close enough over power you. Your comment implied that you thought it was just as easy to carry out a dozen murders with a knife as it was with a gun, which is needless to say an exceptionally dumb thought.

The point was that if firearms are not available, knives are an automatic substitute, as are vehicles. This has been shown time and time again - in some cases, they are more lethal.

The main issue is that legally-held firearms are not necessarily the issue, and banning all firearms (in the states) would not solve the problem of spree killing, and would introduce enormous problems of its own.
Reply 84
Original post by Jammy Duel
Oh, it's not just you and it is hardly stalking.

I can't seem to post anything on here without you finding something to try and correct. I guess maybe you're just upset over something I said, hey ho, w/e.
Hello , please rate my blog t.me/vmlife
Original post by DeBruyne18
Well i've given you the justification why one things that kills a lot of people should be banned, whereas another should not.

But I didn't object your point, I commented on someone saying that it shouldn't be so easy to buy something that can kill lots of people.

The NRA rejects every attempt at making it harder to purchase a gun. They oppose and campaign against background checks as well as against the banning of Assault Rifles.

Supporting evidence?

The car lobbies do not campaign against road safety laws.

They'll object to any laws that threaten the profitability of car manufacturers.

The illegal/legal argument is a poor one. Guns are manufactured legally. The more legal guns there are, the easier it will be to illegally acquire guns.

Well perhaps but it's impossible to guess what the inevitable black market will be like. There are also millions of illegal weapons already in existence already.

Say I buy a gun legally and give it to a 16 year old. The 16 year old has acquired the gun illegally but clearly, the fact that I could buy it legally has allowed it to happen.

I could buy a gun legally in the UK and give it to a 16 year old so even the laws of the UK wouldn't help.
Original post by label333
Because the state has guns.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending