The Student Room Group

How to maintain energy when revising for the next couple of months

So in a levels there is a lot of content to remember and i was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to continue to have energy through the revision season.

This is not so much about motivation but i often get very tired after revising for say 5 hours so how can i maintain energy so i can be revising for 8 hours

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
boost
I don’t know sorry, I have GCSEs soon but I know a levels are super tough as well. Sadly I’m not feeling very motivated at the moment so I can’t help you. I’ll try and wing them 😂
Original post by Appazap
So in a levels there is a lot of content to remember and i was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to continue to have energy through the revision season.

This is not so much about motivation but i often get very tired after revising for say 5 hours so how can i maintain energy so i can be revising for 8 hours

You shouldn't need to spend 8 hours revising - revise for 30 minutes then have a break, repeat. You will burn out if you spend that sort of time on revision.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You shouldn't need to spnd 8 hours revising - revise for 30 minutes then have a break, repeat. You will burn out if you spend that sort of time on revision.

Obviously not all in one go, but more when i get study leave and half terms off, i thought 8 hours a day was normal to do, with breaks every 1/2 hours?
Original post by Appazap
Obviously not all in one go, but more when i get study leave and half terms off, i thought 8 hours a day was normal to do, with breaks every 1/2 hours?

How long are your breaks? What sport/activities do you do? [I'm a teacher btw]
Reply 6
How long are your breaks? What sport/activities do you do? [I'm a teacher btw]

Anywhere between 1/1 and a half. I don't do any activities i just revise but i heard running in the morning is a good idea?
Stay hydrated
I would say don’t aim to do 8 hours every single day, you do need a day off as well. Maybe do a mixture of 3-8 hour days
Reply 9
Original post by Noodlestudent
I would say don’t aim to do 8 hours every single day, you do need a day off as well. Maybe do a mixture of 3-8 hour days

Untfgditled.png

so this is a timetable, i have made for half term, I am not really sure how long each day will take me but what i want to achieve is getting all of this done along with past papers and questions.
Original post by Appazap
Untfgditled.png

so this is a timetable, i have made for half term, I am not really sure how long each day will take me but what i want to achieve is getting all of this done along with past papers and questions.

That looks like a good time table! If you feel you cannot complete something in a particular day maybe get a note pad and write the objective. Then you can complete it the next time you have some time.
Reply 11
hmm, i take psychology, chemistry and maths. How would you suggest revising effectively for psychology and chemistry because they are content heavy?

if i was to do:
psychology: reading textbook for one hour
Chemistry: reading text book for one hour
Psychology: Past questions for one hour
Chemistry: past questions/papers for 2 hours
then obviously maths, would that be more efficient
Original post by Appazap

Are you retaking some of your Maths? Just focus on past papers by that stage - end of March.
Reply 13
Original post by Noodlestudent
That looks like a good time table! If you feel you cannot complete something in a particular day maybe get a note pad and write the objective. Then you can complete it the next time you have some time.

Thank you :biggrin: i have done it on word so i can shuffle things around if i have to. I am thinking of trying to revise everything so in april I can just bang out past papers and revise stuff i still do not understand.

I am also thinking of doing some revision in my room then also going to the library to switch up where i am revising
Reply 14
Are you retaking some of your Maths? Just focus on past papers by that stage - end of March.

Yeah just c1 and c2! I am hoping to get 100% or close in those. I thought it would be beneficial for me to bang out 8 hours everyday in half term but i am not too sure now.

I do try to revise regularly so its not a case i haven't revised but i am just scared that by june i may not know everything i need to.
Original post by Appazap
Yeah just c1 and c2! I am hoping to get 100% or close in those. I thought it would be beneficial for me to bang out 8 hours everyday in half term but i am not too sure now.

I do try to revise regularly so its not a case i haven't revised but i am just scared that by june i may not know everything i need to.

c1 and C2 should be easy and just need past papers timed or even the gold papers [if Edexcel] - no wonder you sound stressed if you are retaking.
Reply 16
c1 and C2 should be easy and just need past papers timed or even the gold papers [if Edexcel] - no wonder you sound stressed if you are retaking.

ya, the exams start in may lol. I just hope i have the energy to get through it all tbh
Lots of sleep!! I recommend stop studying by 8pm as your brain gets tired and not much will go in, dont coop yourself up inside make sure you get some fresh air and exercise will deffo help!! Just get a right amount - start now and slowly build up - I tend to have 1 rest day when I do about 1-2 hours instead
(edited 6 years ago)
Perhaps you could think about how to get better rest rather than how not to get tired. I am also revising for a levels. I found that often I can work for like 6 hours without stopping at the library rather than at home and I don’t get very tired. I think that during this period it is helpful and refreshing to go for walks outside. It really helps me to get a good rest. In contrast, I found that things like watching tv shows, social media and things like that in free time don’t make me feel better. So I think it is about the quality of the rest that you can have between revision sessions. Of course getting enough sleep is also important
Hope it helps
Reply 19
A lot of food for thought! I really appreciate this. I have a lot of revision material and i bought a whiteboard so i think i know how to make my revision more active now!!!! You're right reading your textbook for hours is not that helpful, i got A*BB and i think now its about re triggering what i already know as opposed to learning it from scratch.

I am definitely going to take your advice on board and hopefully it will pay off. Thank you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest