The Student Room Group

What subjects should I pick for GCSE?

I'm in yr9 and I'm choosing what subjects I will do for GCSE. Any suggestions? I have to take at least 1 humanity and 1 language.
Firstly, I would say do what you enjoy. Some subjects are obviously compulsory and don’t have an option to drop them but apart from the core subjects of maths, English and sciences you should take whatever you want. I don’t know what your interests, but as far as humanities go some of my friends say that rs is the humanity with the least amount of work. However some say that history is the most interesting. Others really enjoy geography (although it seems to be a lot of work) Again, you have to prioritise. Or do both :smile:
I don’t know which languages you’re taking already but as I said do what you think you will do best in and enjoy. GCSE languages are not easy (no gcse is) HOWEVER if you choose subjects which you enjoy, they’ll be a lot easier. I’m in year 11 and am glad that I chose subjects which I enjoy, I feel I have less work to do as I chose subjects which I am good at anyways, so that’s a double bonus. Good luck deciding!
Also creative subjects are a lot of fun and if you’re good at any of them (ESPECIALLY MUSIC) you should do it!!! For music, I would say as long as you play an instrument and you’re at least grade 4 or 5 by the time you start gcse, it’ll be your easiest gcse. I’m so glad I took it. However I appreciate that not everyone plays an instrument and you probably shouldn’t do it if you’re not musical. Any arts are a nice change from the other subjects sometimes as well. If you don’t enjoy creative subjects though, I wouldn’t take any of them as some (art and drama especially) can be time consuming and that time might be better spent on another subject.
Reply 3
Original post by bluemuffin
Also creative subjects are a lot of fun and if you’re good at any of them (ESPECIALLY MUSIC) you should do it!!! For music, I would say as long as you play an instrument and you’re at least grade 4 or 5 by the time you start gcse, it’ll be your easiest gcse. I’m so glad I took it. However I appreciate that not everyone plays an instrument and you probably shouldn’t do it if you’re not musical. Any arts are a nice change from the other subjects sometimes as well. If you don’t enjoy creative subjects though, I wouldn’t take any of them as some (art and drama especially) can be time consuming and that time might be better spent on another subject.

thanks loads :smile: And yeah I'm playing an instrument so I'll take music for GCSE.
It depends if your looking for something easy or interesting? Easy- I agree, religous education or citizenship( If your school offers it ). However for the most interesting I would say history is my favouite GCSE, lots if revision, the exam is hard but so worth while. From someone in year 11!
Reply 5
Original post by bellaprice
It depends if your looking for something easy or interesting? Easy- I agree, religous education or citizenship( If your school offers it ). However for the most interesting I would say history is my favouite GCSE, lots if revision, the exam is hard but so worth while. From someone in year 11!

Thank you so much!! History is one of my favourite as well and I'll take it for gcse :smile:
I would recommend r.e cos i got an A and still dont know how. And society is getting evermore multicultural so pick a language trust me. Speaking another language is a huge asset. But other than the core think about future career or what u wanna study at a lvl/uni. I regreted not picking geography cos when deciding a lvls i really wanted to do that. Try think ahead cos i enjoyed history but knew i wasnt doing it at lvl. Also i absolutely loved business so much. Also ppl might say dont just pick the same subjects as your friends ignore them unless u hate the subject ur friend is doing obvs, gcses r fun and its good to hav ur mates in ur class.

Quick Reply