The Student Room Group

I'm Told I'm Not Black Enough...

So I'm British-African, born in England but have been raised into Nigerian culture and have went to Nigeria multiple times.
I'm continuously told that I'm not black or "white inside" just because I do well in school, I like to play games, I'm kind of a computer geek, play music and only play hockey and football.
B
Personally I'm tired of hearing this rubbish, I'm still racially abused on a basis but I'm not black enough, I understand my native language but I'm not black enough, I prefer spending my time with black people but I'm still not black enough.
Sorry I'm just frustrated.

Scroll to see replies

Whereabouts do you live?
Reply 2
Original post by yourgyalsmcm
Whereabouts do you live?

I live in Kent
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm British-African, born in England but have been raised into Nigerian culture and have went to Nigeria multiple times.
I'm continuously told that I'm not black or "white inside" just because I do well in school, I like to play games, I'm kind of a computer geek, play music and only play hockey and football.
B
Personally I'm tired of hearing this rubbish, I'm still racially abused on a basis but I'm not black enough, I understand my native language but I'm not black enough, I prefer spending my time with black people but I'm still not black enough.

Who says this? Friends, family, teachers etc?

Also, don't take it seriously. Being the colour black is black enough but really it shouldn't matter. You have no obligation to do things that black people commonly do and you should do what makes you happy over what you think that you should do for the sake of other's praising you. That said if you like the culture then enjoy it too!
a call my brown friends coconuts all the time, dont take it to heart x
I live in Kent

In deep Kent or jus like Dartford and Orpington?
Imo, areas with less black people make people more pressurised to fit into a specific stereotype. That may be it. All of my friends that are black play an instrument, and whats wrong with football :rofl: . They seem very narrow minded, just know not many people think like this. Your friends shouldnt feel as if they need to be categorised a certain way
u need to be 200% *****

[video="youtube;bkxjceCFwGY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkxjceCFwGY[/video]
Reply 7
mate, black people who say this to other black people are just insecure within themselves. If you know you're black, then there's nothing to worry about, regardless of whether you like or do what other black people are doing. As long as you are not being disrespectful to people with different likes and interests to you, just ignore them!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
B

Don't think about it too much. I am black do well in school, play football, I don't mind hockey, and a few years ago I used to be a computer geek and really into games.

Just don't give it any attention and people will get bored
Dw about those narrow-minded people. Nothing is "black". Be yourself and OWN it!
You don't have to have certain attributes, like different things etc to be considered of a certain race. They're probably just saying that to have a go at you, or maybe because they're jealous of your skills. Or, maybe they're calling you white because they don't like white people.
In deep Kent or jus like Dartford and Orpington?
Imo, areas with less black people make people more pressurised to fit into a specific stereotype. That may be it. All of my friends that are black play an instrument, and whats wrong with football :rofl: . They seem very narrow minded, just know not many people think like this. Your friends shouldnt feel as if they need to be categorised a certain way

Yeah I live in deep Kent. And you hit the nail right on the head.
All my black friends are just like me (But we're all in different schools now): aspired to do well in life, played music, sport, games. But I think they've (as in white people) just grown accustomed to the road black men thing as if every man does it.
Tbh it's just disgusting and narrow minded like you said.
B

This is fairly common though in our culture especially Nigerian I had the same issues growing up travelling back home and family would always say stuff like "Your british, you were born there you are not Nigerian" It never bothered me though nigerians are stubborn and they see those that were born abroad as foreigners rather than one of their own. It's the same thing here you might be born in the UK but I would never class myself as "British" so your kind of in limbo with both cultures clashing inside you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh my gosh. A similar thing has happened to me. The black family friend told me I was white because I went to a mostly white school (her logic is wired - plus most people at my school are Asian so makes no sense.) I would have ignored her if it was not for the fact that she meant in the way I acted, especially considering that I don't think I really have any black friends.
Looool 100% same thing happens to me and I live in Surrey.
I just brush it off idrc tbh cos if they’re calling you white, you’re basically going to be successful

Think of it like this: you live in a majority white country. This means the country works to favour those who are the majority (not minorities), therefore excluding minorities. In order to be successful in this country, you must ‘be the majority’ (white), so if you’re a minority and someone calls you white = country favours you and you succeed

But like I said idrc, just brush it off it’s not deep
Yeah I live in deep Kent. And you hit the nail right on the head.
All my black friends are just like me (But we're all in different schools now): aspired to do well in life, played music, sport, games. But I think they've (as in white people) just grown accustomed to the road black men thing as if every man does it.
Tbh it's just disgusting and narrow minded like you said.

Yeah it was the same in year 7 for some people in my school who clearly had only seen black internet stereotypes :rofl: . It was annoying at first, but then they saw how we really are. I guess that it helps that we have a large proportion of black people in my year, which means that they can see that we are all different
Yeah it was the same in year 7 for some people in my school who clearly had only seen black internet stereotypes :rofl: . It was annoying at first, but then they saw how we really are. I guess that it helps that we have a large proportion of black people in my year, which means that they can see that we are all different

There’s only like 7 black people in my whole school :frown:
Original post by lmaooome
There’s only like 7 black people in my whole school :frown:

Rahtid that's how many there are in my form, and theres 20 people :rofl:

Spoiler

Original post by Black Cat
This is fairly common though in our culture especially Nigerian I had the same issues growing up travelling back home and family would always say stuff like "Your british, you were born there you are not Nigerian" It never bothered me though nigerians are stubborn and they see those that were born abroad as foreigners rather than one of their own. It's the same thing here you might be born in the UK but I would never class myself as "British" so your kind of in limbo with both cultures clashing inside you.

Yeah I know what you mean. I go to a mostly white grammar school with a few asians and a few black people but there's only 7 black people throughout the whole sixth form... 2 are stereotypical and don't seem to be going anywhere in life, one likes white people more than black and the rest I don't know too well.
B

I've had this problem before in like year 9 or whatever but not for long, it honestly just made me realise who my true friends were. Granted, I do certain things that are stereotypical of certain nationalities but in all honesty you have to question the rules society has made up and think does it actually matter?

I went through cubs, scouts and explorers - apparently I'm white? I play the violin and piano - now I'm Asian? The list is ridiculous lol.

It doesn't help that my Dad never really taught me my culture but that's cause he was never about. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that no one can define you, your hobbies, your interests, your talents or what you want to do except for yourself.

Just be proud of who you are and surround yourself with people who love you for you and won't judge you because they know that they're incapable of doing what you can do. xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending