The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP!! Cifas marker :(

So I lost a large sum of money when I turned 16 on my birthday and I was so sad and angry that my first decision was to get my good friend who does fraud to help me. (STUPID I KNOW).
The bank found out and closed my account and I don't think I had any money left and I didn't have my card so I didn't end up going to close it myself when they sent me a letter to come and collect. I was too scared and ashamed to go.

I regretted it so much and tried to forget it and so a few months later I wanted to start over I went to open a new account with 2 other banks and they both rejected me and one told me to contact CIFAS. I couldn't bring myself to do it so I'm still trying to forget it.
I was so stressed I lost a chunk of weight and didn’t sleep or eat well last month. My dad wants to be giving me money for my piano lessons but I’m insisting on cash. I can not tell him. I can’t. I can’t. I don’t want to get hurt. I don’t know what to do now and I have so many questions.

Will this affect me going to college? Getting a job in college? My uni with loans and benefits? will this affect my credit score? I know the mark stays for 6 years and waiting sounds a whole lot better than telling my parents (yes its that bad) I can’t get it reversed because they put it there rightfully so for me there’s no point. I want another account with a card but I doubt I’ll receive one.

(P.S I have a savings account in my parent's name so will that do? If it gets transferred to me when I'm 18 will they cancel it?)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So I lost a large sum of money when I turned 16 on my birthday and I was so sad and angry that my first decision was to get my good friend who does fraud to help me. (STUPID I KNOW).
The bank found out and closed my account and I don't think I had any money left and I didn't have my card so I didn't end up going to close it myself when they sent me a letter to come and collect. I was too scared and ashamed to go.

I regretted it so much and tried to forget it and so a few months later I wanted to start over I went to open a new account with 2 other banks and they both rejected me and one told me to contact CIFAS. I couldn't bring myself to do it so I'm still trying to forget it.
I was so stressed I lost a chunk of weight and didn’t sleep or eat well last month. My dad wants to be giving me money for my piano lessons but I’m insisting on cash. I can not tell him. I can’t. I can’t. I don’t want to get hurt. I don’t know what to do now and I have so many questions.

Will this affect me going to college? Getting a job in college? My uni with loans and benefits? will this affect my credit score? I know the mark stays for 6 years and waiting sounds a whole lot better than telling my parents (yes its that bad) I can’t get it reversed because they put it there rightfully so for me there’s no point. I want another account with a card but I doubt I’ll receive one.

(P.S I have a savings account in my parent's name so will that do? If it gets transferred to me when I'm 18 will they cancel it?)

1. How did you lose the money?
2. If you had money left then what happened to it?
3. Yes its very bad news as you have essentially helped commit fraud and institutions wont want to deal with you. All banks will see this marker. Presumably you have good reason to be wary of your parents and what they might say? Yes it causes an issue for student loans if you dont have a bank account to pay it into.
4. No idea about the savings account.
5. Talk to NACRO or CIFAS.
6. There are some bank accounts where you pay a monthly fee that might tolerate a cifas marker.

You can see most dont like cifas.
http://www.ukbankaccounts.co.uk/

Some more suggestions here

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/criminal-convictions-history-fraud/
http://www.credecard.com/
https://www1.talk-home.co.uk/CatCard/fees.aspx
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
1. How did you lose the money?
2. If you had money left then what happened to it?
3. Yes its very bad news as you have essentially helped commit fraud and institutions wont want to deal with you. All banks will see this marker. Presumably you have good reason to be wary of your parents and what they might say? Yes it causes an issue for student loans if you dont have a bank account to pay it into.
4. No idea about the savings account.
5. Talk to NACRO or CIFAS.
6. There are some bank accounts where you pay a monthly fee that might tolerate a cifas marker.

You can see most dont like cifas.
http://www.ukbankaccounts.co.uk/

Some more suggestions here

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/criminal-convictions-history-fraud/
http://www.credecard.com/
https://www1.talk-home.co.uk/CatCard/fees.aspx

1. My friends and I were out and I gave my purse to one of them to hold and when we arrived at the restaurant she said she didn't have it. (it was in cash and I planned on using some that night)

2. If I did I'm guessing the bank are keeping it or reserving it if I ever show up? Not sure but it wasn't much so I am not bothered by that.

3/4. Well luckily I have a savings account that I can only access once I'm 18 so would I be able to access loans or get paid in a job using that or does that not count as an actual account for employers?

5. I will look more into NACRO, haven't heard of it until now - I also assumed CIFAS would try to contact my parents or send me a letter which would have me caught and in extreme trouble. I have only just begun to repair my relationship and with my dad and he trusts me a lot - I think this would kill it... I may say something but maybe in a year or so - so it's not so fresh; this just got better so I can't ruin it... (my mum isn't any help at all)
I don't mind paying a fee however being 16 I have no income so that would meaning asking my parents. stuck.

Thank you so much for your help and the links.
Reply 3
1. My friends and I were out and I gave my purse to one of them to hold and when we arrived at the restaurant she said she didn't have it. (it was in cash and I planned on using some that night)

2. If I did I'm guessing the bank are keeping it or reserving it if I ever show up? Not sure but it wasn't much so I am not bothered by that.

3/4. Well luckily I have a savings account that I can only access once I'm 18 so would I be able to access loans or get paid in a job using that or does that not count as an actual account for employers?

5. I will look more into NACRO, haven't heard of it until now - I also assumed CIFAS would try to contact my parents or send me a letter which would have me caught and in extreme trouble. I have only just begun to repair my relationship and with my dad and he trusts me a lot - I think this would kill it... I may say something but maybe in a year or so - so it's not so fresh; this just got better so I can't ruin it... (my mum isn't any help at all)
I don't mind paying a fee however being 16 I have no income so that would meaning asking my parents. stuck.

didn't realise I was anonymous. sorry really panickish. I'm still 16 also so I understand there's a lot less I can do. I was wanting to hold on until I'm 18 to break the news so hopefully I can cover up for that long. I plan on getting a job in college since I will only have 3 days a week.
Reply 4

oops again lool
I just wondered if you have any updates and if you found any solutions???
Please I am in the same situation I think
Original post by Richard_cook
I just wondered if you have any updates and if you found any solutions???

This thread is over a year old... The OP hasn't been on TSR since Feb 2018...
What do I do then. I’m urgent for a reply!

Get a prepaid card they don’t require credit checks or fraud checks
Reply 10

Hey Richard it happened to me too, please don't panic its going to be okay I was incredibly stressed, its the worst thing you can do its been a month or 2 without my Barclays account. I suggest you get a Monzo account and take care of it with your heart and soul, works just like a normal bank account and you can even get student loans on it too. hope this helps
Hi this has happened to me and im really confused im 15 and santander said theres a mark on my account. Is the mark as bad as being blacklisted?
Original post by Theofficialpv
Hi this has happened to me and im really confused im 15 and santander said theres a mark on my account. Is the mark as bad as being blacklisted?

Did Santander close your account
Original post by Theofficialpv

There's no such thing as a 'blacklist', but a fraud marker from CIFAS is about as bad as it gets.
Original post by Frenzo
I'm not going to say to much here but listen to what I'm about to say many people who get cifas markers are victims themselves u expect someone who's 16 or 15 to turn down a offer of 2k or 3k just for thier bank cards you must be mad it's unfair that under 19s get 6 years of thier lives ruined they should get a warning of max 1 year marker the idi0+$ at cifas are uncaring jacka$$£$ u see not everyone comes from a good household where money isn't a issue listen thiers a way to remove cifas markers all numbers including 6 ur name wont be on the data base anymore for the method contact me on icq @744265450 or @Frenzo_harmi telegram I'm going to charge you for the method because I brought it my self when I had a cifas at 17 still working 100 percent, thiers NO LEGIT WAY TO GET RID OF A CIFAS MARKER they simply don't care

Man got a cifas marker at 23 you just have to hold on for 6 years it’s not forever 🙏
Hi I'm in the same situation Santander closed my account and called me a risk...what's it like having a cifas marker.i get panic attacks thinking about the whole situation and my family are worried for me aswell
The same happened to me about four years ago, and it gave me panic attacks for about a year. Due to a fraud attempt of a close friend of mine, they ended up closing my account.

It's fine though, the best thing to do would be to contact CIFAS and see what is actually on your name and the extent of it. Your credit rating will take a bad hit and you may have issues opening accounts, but Monzo for example is pretty good with this for anyone who gets into this situation.
Original post by sarahmh_
The same happened to me about four years ago, and it gave me panic attacks for about a year. Due to a fraud attempt of a close friend of mine, they ended up closing my account.

It's fine though, the best thing to do would be to contact CIFAS and see what is actually on your name and the extent of it. Your credit rating will take a bad hit and you may have issues opening accounts, but Monzo for example is pretty good with this for anyone who gets into this situation.

Thank you for making me feel better x . I will contact cifas but as I'm young can you explain all this stuff about credit score etc
the bank just decided to remove the cifas marker , i was at fault to be honest but if you get a cifas marker dont leave them alone keep making complaints and prove your innocence, i repeat DONT STOP MAKING COMPLAINT
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Emerald2903
Hi I'm in the same situation Santander closed my account and called me a risk...what's it like having a cifas marker.i get panic attacks thinking about the whole situation and my family are worried for me aswell

Hi why did Santander close your account and I get annoyed just thinking of it and how it will affect my future cifas markers last for 6 years yours will go in 2026

Latest

Trending

Trending