The Student Room Group

Computer Science GCSE

Hi I have my GCSE ocr computer science ppe next Tuesday. On Wednesday I realised that our exam is on component 2 (so algorithms and stuff) I’ve been revising everyday on component 2 (like making flash cards) but there’s so much to cover and we haven’t even gone through everything yet.I have been going through a revision guide but there’s so much content. I really want a grade 9 on this, as in my last test i got a grade 8, but I don’t think I’ll have enough time to look at everything and revise it, our school made the grade boundaries pretty high (90% for a grade 9, 82% for grade 8) my support teachers keep telling me not to worry about it as it’s only a mock, but I just want to do well in this so I have a good indication of where I am at.

UPDATE!!!
We got our exam results back, I got a grade 8 (A*) it’s not a 9 but I will still coontonue to work hard on getting a 9, but considering that component 2 is perhaps my weakest component out of the two, I think I did alright. I am disappointed about not getting a 9 but hopefully I will be able to get it by the real exams. Thanks to everyone for helping me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Omg. I literally am having the exact same PPE exam as you on the exact same day. What a coincidence!

As for revision, I don’t actually know...I’m just going through the CGP revision guide and exam workbook.

Good luck in that exam!
Reply 2
Post specific problems or topics that you feel in need of improvement and we may be able to help.
Original post by Rosytposy
Omg. I literally am having the exact same PPE exam as you on the exact same day. What a coincidence!

As for revision, I don’t actually know...I’m just going through the CGP revision guide and exam workbook.

Good luck in that exam!

Lol I’m going through the same book tryna get as much done, don’t know how I’ll do but also good luck to you on the exam
Original post by BenTenTacion
Lol I’m going through the same book tryna get as much done, don’t know how I’ll do but also good luck to you on the exam

Thank you!
Reply 5
Hi I have my GCSE ocr computer science ppe next Tuesday. On Wednesday I realised that our exam is on component 2 (so algorithms and stuff) I’ve been revising everyday on component 2 (like making flash cards) but there’s so much to cover and we haven’t even gone through everything yet.I have been going through a revision guide but there’s so much content. I really want a grade 9 on this, as in my last test i got a grade 8, but I don’t think I’ll have enough time to look at everything and revise it, our school made the grade boundaries pretty high (90% for a grade 9, 82% for grade 8) my support teachers keep telling me not to worry about it as it’s only a mock, but I just want to do well in this so I have a good indication of where I am at.

I got an 8 and a 9 in my mock papers for computing, did next to no revision for paper 2 as I was Ill. I got 91% paper 1 which was grade 9 and about 75% paper 2 which was grade 8 (our boundaries were lower).
For paper 2 I wasn’t expecting an 8 as I didn’t do much revision but a lot of it is just programming based, we did the NEA earlier this year and that helped with the programming knowledge. So I went into the exam never actually learning about the content (apart from a few flicks of my CGP guide) and still doing well. Basically what I’m saying is don’t stress it’s literally based on programming and things like that. Also you said it’s next Tuesday, that gives you plenty of time to revise! For example and hour or 2 tomorrow and like 3 hours on each weekend day and then another hour on Monday. If you really want 90%+ then do like 2 hours tomorrow, 4-6 hours on the weekend and then like 2 on Monday. That’s around 8-10 hours. Also search up the course and find the spec paper, I looked through the spec paper to revise, it’s basically got similar questions that will come up.
Once again, relax a little, it is only a mock but if you do all those things you can get 90%+. 😊
Original post by peeked
I got an 8 and a 9 in my mock papers for computing, did next to no revision for paper 2 as I was Ill. I got 91% paper 1 which was grade 9 and about 75% paper 2 which was grade 8 (our boundaries were lower).
For paper 2 I wasn’t expecting an 8 as I didn’t do much revision but a lot of it is just programming based, we did the NEA earlier this year and that helped with the programming knowledge. So I went into the exam never actually learning about the content (apart from a few flicks of my CGP guide) and still doing well. Basically what I’m saying is don’t stress it’s literally based on programming and things like that. Also you said it’s next Tuesday, that gives you plenty of time to revise! For example and hour or 2 tomorrow and like 3 hours on each weekend day and then another hour on Monday. If you really want 90%+ then do like 2 hours tomorrow, 4-6 hours on the weekend and then like 2 on Monday. That’s around 8-10 hours. Also search up the course and find the spec paper, I looked through the spec paper to revise, it’s basically got similar questions that will come up.
Once again, relax a little, it is only a mock but if you do all those things you can get 90%+. 😊

Thank you, I’m planning to stay after school tomorrow and since I got a free period first lesson I can use that for revision. Anyway thanks again for the advice
Reply 7
Thank you, I’m planning to stay after school tomorrow and since I got a free period first lesson I can use that for revision. Anyway thanks again for the advice

No problem :wink:
Original post by i386
Post specific problems or topics that you feel in need of improvement and we may be able to help.

Truth, logic tables, boolean, data representation, SQL(think that’s what they are called) iteration and arrays
Reply 9
Truth/logic tables/boolean:
Make sure you understand the two intersecting circles diagrams (Google "venn diagrams")

data representation:
Start with character, then short int, int, then double, then string - know how you convert each type into binaries

SQL - the big fours:
SELECT
UPDATE
INSERT
DELETE
all on rows, given a filter

Iteration and arrays:
Think about your school routine every day. A term is an array of term dates. You iterate your daily school life, until, date == easter!
What exam boards are you lot with for Computer Science... because I don't even have a proper revision guide with my exam board (WJEC) or know anything about am exam.......
Another place to look at could be the BBC Bitesize Computer Science pages - https://www.bbc.com/education/subjects/z34k7ty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending