The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship or University

I applied for university for 2018 entry, though despite receiving my offers in November I'm questioning whether I still want to go.

I would be studying a Bsc (Hons) in Criminology, though am concerned about what my job prospects would be afterwards and am questioning if it is worth spending 3 years doing?

I currently study Criminology at A level, and although I enjoy it I'm trying to think realistically as to if it would support me in the future.

More recently, I have started looking at apprenticeships and was wondering if this could be a great alternative to university. Can anybody offer advice on apprenticeships or university, for example would you still be able to do a job you love with an apprenticeship?

Thank you
Original post by Chloe_maria08
I applied for university for 2018 entry, though despite receiving my offers in November I'm questioning whether I still want to go.

I would be studying a Bsc (Hons) in Criminology, though am concerned about what my job prospects would be afterwards and am questioning if it is worth spending 3 years doing?

I currently study Criminology at A level, and although I enjoy it I'm trying to think realistically as to if it would support me in the future.

More recently, I have started looking at apprenticeships and was wondering if this could be a great alternative to university. Can anybody offer advice on apprenticeships or university, for example would you still be able to do a job you love with an apprenticeship?

Thank you

It really depends on what you want to do, and how sure you are about it.

The value of having a degree often exists somewhat independent of the actual knowledge you've gained. Simpy having one will open certain doors for you in some careers, and will allow you to tick the relevant box on job applications. The subject is often of only tangential importance.

That being said, I don't at all think university is for everyone and apprenticeships are a great option for people who genuinely want to do something specific. Most jobs will not necessarily require a degree, and even those that state they do will often relax that requirement if you have relevant experience. Not having one won't stop you being successful, but it may stop you accessing certain careers.

It's also worth remembering that university will still be an option next year, the year after or five years from now. There is no harm at all in trying something else in the interim and seeing how things turn out. You can also explore distance learning options alongside your work if you find something you enjoy.
Original post by ByronicHero
It really depends on what you want to do, and how sure you are about it.

The value of having a degree often exists somewhat independent of the actual knowledge you've gained. Simpy having one will open certain doors for you in some careers, and will allow you to tick the relevant box on job applications. The subject is often of only tangential importance.

That being said, I don't at all think university is for everyone and apprenticeships are a great option for people who genuinely want to do something specific. Most jobs will not necessarily require a degree, and even those that state they do will often relax that requirement if you have relevant experience. Not having one won't stop you being successful, but it may stop you accessing certain careers.

It's also worth remembering that university will still be an option next year, the year after or five years from now. There is no harm at all in trying something else in the interim and seeing how things turn out. You can also explore distance learning options alongside your work if you find something you enjoy.

Thank you for your advice, it has been really useful in helping me make a decision. I think I'm going to try the apprenticeship route first and see if I enjoy that, if not as you've said I could always apply to university again in the future. Thanks.
Original post by Chloe_maria08
Thank you for your advice, it has been really useful in helping me make a decision. I think I'm going to try the apprenticeship route first and see if I enjoy that, if not as you've said I could always apply to university again in the future. Thanks.

No problem. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by ByronicHero
No problem. Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending