The Student Room Group

A Level self study help

Hi everyone,

I've recently made the decision to self study 3 A Levels. My current living situation has made it impossible for me to study via an online distance learning institution or to attend college. Having said that I am determined not to waste the next two years of my life by letting that hold me back so instead I'll be self teaching my A Levels and applying to take my A Level exams as a private candidate.

Can anyone recommend any websites for this? How do I get started? What books to do I need to study? Where can I find the syllabus? Anyone have any experience with this or can help me find the information on how I should split my time between the 3?

As I am a private candidate I can only do subjects that do not include any practical work or any coursework that would require a teacher to mark. I'm leaning towards 3 of the following - Maths, Psychology, sociology or law. I do not yet know what degree I want to do after which is why I've decided to do A Levels instead of an access to HE course.

Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
Original post by Rebecca787
Hi everyone,

I've recently made the decision to self study 3 A Levels. My current living situation has made it impossible for me to study via an online distance learning institution or to attend college. Having said that I am determined not to waste the next two years of my life by letting that hold me back so instead I'll be self teaching my A Levels and applying to take my A Level exams as a private candidate.

Can anyone recommend any websites for this? How do I get started? What books to do I need to study? Where can I find the syllabus? Anyone have any experience with this or can help me find the information on how I should split my time between the 3?

As I am a private candidate I can only do subjects that do not include any practical work or any coursework that would require a teacher to mark. I'm leaning towards 3 of the following - Maths, Psychology, sociology or law. I do not yet know what degree I want to do after which is why I've decided to do A Levels instead of an access to HE course.

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Out of interest why cant you do an online course? Financial?

Specification is on the exam site. You can choose which board you want.AQA, OCR, Edexcel are the main ones. They differ slightly so best find the one that suits you in structure and content.

You can download specification, past papers, mark schemes and various support documents.

As a private candidate you find a test centre and register so they will let you sit the exam there. It may also include the exam fee or you may have to pay that separately.

Study materials you can get from Amazon and you should buy the textbook/ revision books that are relevant to your course, then set a study plan so you complete the syllabus and be prepared in time for the exam. It is important you keep on target and are prepared for the exam. If you fall behind then you will not do well.

www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/private-candidates+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Out of interest why cant you do an online course? Financial?

Specification is on the exam site. You can choose which board you want.AQA, OCR, Edexcel are the main ones. They differ slightly so best find the one that suits you in structure and content.

You can download specification, past papers, mark schemes and various support documents.

As a private candidate you find a test centre and register so they will let you sit the exam there. It may also include the exam fee or you may have to pay that separately.

Study materials you can get from Amazon and you should buy the textbook/ revision books that are relevant to your course, then set a study plan so you complete the syllabus and be prepared in time for the exam. It is important you keep on target and are prepared for the exam. If you fall behind then you will not do well.

www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/private-candidates+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Mostly financial, yes. I'm not currently in the UK, overseas due to my husbands work and it'll cost me almost £800 to sit the exams privately here. I've checked various online providers but I'm looking at anywhere between £1,500-£10,000 for additional support which we definitely can't afford. I feel as if I've exhausted every route and I'm left only with just teaching myself.
Many thanks for the info, at least now I have a starting point!
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Mostly financial, yes. I'm not currently in the UK, overseas due to my husbands work and it'll cost me almost £800 to sit the exams privately here. I've checked various online providers but I'm looking at anywhere between £1,500-£10,000 for additional support which we definitely can't afford. I feel as if I've exhausted every route and I'm left only with just teaching myself.
Many thanks for the info, at least now I have a starting point!

Not impossible, but it is much harder to teach yourself. Depends how disciplined you are.

Domestic boards like AQA, Edexcel and OCR are to be sat in the UK.

If you are going to be abroad, then you might want to consider doing international A levels. Cambridge international and Edexcel are the providers.
http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/cambridge-for/parents-and-students/exams-and-results/private-candidates/

Also if you are abroad, then you are at risk of being not resident in the UK and lose your eligibility to get funding in a UK uni if you are a UK or EU national.
Reply 4
Not impossible, but it is much harder to teach yourself. Depends how disciplined you are.

Domestic boards like AQA, Edexcel and OCR are to be sat in the UK.

If you are going to be abroad, then you might want to consider doing international A levels. Cambridge international and Edexcel are the providers.
http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/cambridge-for/parents-and-students/exams-and-results/private-candidates/

Also if you are abroad, then you are at risk of being not resident in the UK and lose your eligibility to get funding in a UK uni if you are a UK or EU national.

Thank you so much for the information. To be honest, we don't know when or if we'd be coming back to the UK anytime soon. We go where the career opportunities are for my husband so its unlikely we'd be back in the next 5 years or so....
Thank you so much for the information. To be honest, we don't know when or if we'd be coming back to the UK anytime soon. We go where the career opportunities are for my husband so its unlikely we'd be back in the next 5 years or so....

The point is if you are a UK national and expect UK funding to go to uni, then it wont be available if they decide you are not a UK resident. You can regain that right once you are back in the UK and have been resident for three years. I guess it is a long term plan. Having A levels gives you options and if you teach yourself then you can take your time to get the best grades.

Also do take account in choosing exam boards where you can sit those exams. CIE is what most international students take as they have exam centres all over the world. There are less support materials though.

UK boards have more support materials, but you would need to come to the UK to sit them.

Dont commit to exams until you have chosen your board and feel ok with the subject etc.
Reply 6
The point is if you are a UK national and expect UK funding to go to uni, then it wont be available if they decide you are not a UK resident. You can regain that right once you are back in the UK and have been resident for three years. I guess it is a long term plan. Having A levels gives you options and if you teach yourself then you can take your time to get the best grades.

Also do take account in choosing exam boards where you can sit those exams. CIE is what most international students take as they have exam centres all over the world. There are less support materials though.

UK boards have more support materials, but you would need to come to the UK to sit them.

Dont commit to exams until you have chosen your board and feel ok with the subject etc.

Sure, I will do, thanks. They only offer Edexcel and CIE here so I will look into each in detail.
Sure, I will do, thanks. They only offer Edexcel and CIE here so I will look into each in detail.

CIE is the largest.
You need to examine the spec carefully and then try and find revision books which cover roughly the same syllabus. Just use some common sense..
Hi everyone,

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Hi You can find German universities which are offering free education. Find the below list of institutes which offer free A level study. Source: https://www.reed.co.uk/courses/free/a-level/online It’s FREE for eligible learners. Study 100% online at your own pace, whenever and wherever you like. Gain a vocational qualification valued by UK employers. One-to-one support from a dedicated tutor throughout your course. Free additional online and telephone customer support.

Quick Reply

Latest